It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:10 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Ad Hoc Wars Graphics Tasklist & other art stuff
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:55 am 

High priority:

-Original terrain tileset (Narts)
-Original unit graphics (Narts)
-Graphics for the user interface (kosheh)

Low priority

-Title screen & menu backgrounds
-Character art (We at least need something pretty to show in the main menu. iunno, something like a large chested woman wearing a skimpy uniform maybe.)
-Battle animations (on hold: do we want these?)

I'm beginning to work on terrains and units now, because these are the most pressingly needed assets.
Kosheh has promised to take care of the UI.

On the style of the graphics:

Currently I'm going for an approach where the graphics look more realistic and detailed, but with a palette of somewhat bright colours. Vehicles, weapons and uniforms will look like generic 20th century designs. The terrain will look like desert somewhere in North Africa or Middle East.

Characters, if there will be any, will be somewhat realistic, yet perhaps with some comic-like stylisation, but not necessarily "manga" in appearance. I will look into this deeper once more pressing issues have been resolved.

Last edited by Narts on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Ad Hoc Wars Graphics Tasklist & other art stuff
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:08 am 

We can offer all the above and have an option to use what is available in the 16,32,64 folders respectively.
Whatever style you are most comfortable with producing the units in then I'm cool with that. I'm sure everyone on the forums would appreciate any sketches and concepts you produce and it will help us flesh out some ideas. At the moment we'll just concentrate on getting one tileset size(the current one) produced because we are currently unsure how the scaling will be dealt with. In the current source smaller maps are a bit screwy with the mouse and the logic for the actual scaling is a little convoluted so I wouldn't want to have any other work depending on its quick development.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:29 pm 

I'm going to try doing the sprites by first painting them in high resolution and then scaling them down to 64x64. Lower resolution gfx I can do by traditionally spriting them using the larger images as reference. I will be using a slightly tilted top-down perspective reminiscent of the pre-DoR games for both terrain and units. The same unit artwork can be used as the basis for both the overworld sprites as well as for battle animation / intel screen sprites.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:00 pm 

So just to be clear, the sprites you will be producing will be the same size as the one we are using just now?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:19 pm 

They will be done as high resolution digital art first (somewhere around 500x500 or larger) which can then be scaled down to any size we want. The smallest ones, like the 16x16 set that we have initial support for, will have to be heavily touched up by hand after scaling though, but that's not a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:25 am 

On a second thought I'm considering making a placeholder 16x16 set first, because it's faster.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:45 am 

Do you know which graphical style you are heading for? I mean, I don't want you to draw blindly. If possible, I can stir up a graphical direction and see what the other people think.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:02 am 

Quote:
On the style of the graphics:

Currently I'm going for an approach where the graphics look more realistic and detailed, but with a palette of somewhat bright colours. Vehicles, weapons and uniforms will look like generic 20th century designs. The terrain will look like desert somewhere in North Africa or Middle East.

Characters, if there will be any, will be somewhat realistic, yet perhaps with some comic-like stylisation, but not necessarily "manga" in appearance. I will look into this deeper once more pressing issues have been resolved.

Of course I realise this is quite broad, but that is on purpose, I don't want to commit to anything too specific before I've experimented first and got some feedback for the first concepts.

There is not much point in going to elaborate descriptions of styles before we actually see something tangible that we can evaluate and refine further.

-

Of course one way of defining style is to find inspiration from references shots from other games and sources.

These shots are from Panzer General, a DOS game classic that was inspired by early console wargames such as the Famicom Wars and Daisenryaku series.

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/6963/1 ... 700je4.gif
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6594 ... 100ik0.gif
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7198 ... 700mc5.gif

The graphics in this game are perhaps slightly more realistic and serious in tone than what I have in mind but they are quite close. (and of course our game wouldn't be hex-based) Overall I would go for a style that looks like somewhere in between AW and Panzer General.
Also, note the battle animations, which are, interestingly, laid over the map screen - not something we need to emulate but cool nonetheless.

I may post more references if I find any, and of course, others may do so too if you find something inspirational.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:06 am 

oh~

Well, while working on the UI I've pretty much come to the decision of making it this shiny new-spec iPod kind of design scheme. Mainly white, glossy finishes on stuff and lots of white. It clashes with any sort of dark, serious tone whatsoever but I kind of figured that the game itself was skinnable so it wasn't any huge deal.

It'd be nice to have a shiny looking UI right out of the box, though.

As for ingame unit design, I'm really not a huge fan of the serious Gulf-War ultra-realism like in Panzer General. Sorry, Narts ;_;
I'd say something like "Days of Ruin, but more colorful" would work pretty nicely.
In terms of character design, I'm OK with anything you throw at me, though I do have to say I'd be pissed if the characters were super-generic boringtons. If we had parodies of the AW1/2/DS COs but with a "serious edge" - like a Marylin Monroe-looking Nell-figure and a mechanic with a greased-up uniform and a crewcut, I'd be really glad. <:

I really liked the cotton-candy COs of the old Advance Wars games, but I'm not entirely sure if that's the type of direction we're heading for. If we have COs, though - would it be much to ask if they're like ultra-generic stereotypes, i.e. plucky protagonist, evil land baron, gunslinging cowboy, Japanese schoolgirl, etc?

Whatever though lol, Narts' stuff is pretty amazing so I'm eager to see what he's got in store.

Last edited by Kosheh on Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:29 am 

Well the "realism factor" isn't exactly what I wanted to draw attention to in the Panzer General screenshots, it was more about the colour scheme and the way how the terrain blends together or some such. For example, the desert-like terrain, I think a yellowish/brownish colour is more neutral and easier for the eyes in the long run than an AW-style bright green, and I'd like the units to have more earthly camouflage-like colours than the bright lurid rainbow shades of AW. I guess I'll have to search for more screenshots elsewhere to give more clarity to what I'm trying to convey... on the other hand I'm already pretty far with the mockups of my own so yeah fdgkj maybe I'll just post those! When they're ready.

As for the COs, they could be considerably more outlandish than the units, but my ideas concerning them are only just beginning to form. I guess there could be some darkish humour to them, but I wouldn't be really interested in doing direct parodies of AW CO's, nor any too obvious stereotypes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:56 am 

A small preview of the graphics I've done so far. These are in 16x16 resolution.

Feedback is welcome.