It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:07 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Interesting forum!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:20 pm 
Main Coder

I found this webpage, http://urusan.paheal.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35 It contains good stuff!

Making menus from a file=how windows does it, with the amount of windows they have,... Must be the way to go!

I'm wondering if this has been realised?, but why reinvent something that already is done see http://thinlet.sourceforge.net

I would like to provide some thought on the questions he asks:
MovementCosts
movement vars could be in a Terrain class, they contain the cost for every unit to move over that terrain.
Some terrains are impassible, they will have the highest possible value as movecost.

Mover unit = new Unit()
Terrain terrain = map.getTile(0,0).getTerrain()
unit.canMoveOver(terrain)
terrain.getMoveCost(int id)

What about different weathers:
We will have to create a class that takes different values and then return the result. It has
Weather, Terrain, Unit ID
much like MoveTraverse class in current code.

Quote:
There may be events (which happen passively, triggers and traps) and actions (which happen actively, player activated choices) tied to specific tiles (actions can be activated by the player/controller, such as building new units, or activated via a unit, adding a new action to their possible actions). Some advanced features include: several maps may be layered one on top of the other, with units able to move and act between them, and there may also be partitions between tiles, preventing movement between two tiles, but not blocking off either tile.

I like this idea, need to think about it further.
I guess each Action is put in a class with do() and undo()following the command pattern, there should be some controller class that combines different model classes to accomplish a goal/action.
Like building a new unit on tile t
does t has a building, can this building create this unit type

The action classes would then call a controller method, actions also can provide an undo method.

Finally actions are launched/triggered by events, where do these come from? hmm

Quote:
There may be events tied to specific units, and especially specific conditions of specific units (such as a critical unit dying).quote]

A unit can launch an event when it has been moved to a new location, been killed, changed owner whateva...
But what class(es) should receive these events, the gui will have to change.
Further a Trigger can listen for a 'critical unit dying' and launch an action

Quote:
Units may be restricted from moving through enemy and/or friendly units, and some units my be able to ignore these restrictions.

ok, so a user request a unit to move to tile A
gui -> Click, Action moveUnit fires
controller moveUnit method is invoked
path finder class builds a path and it contains a hidden enemy unit in the list of tiles to follow
loop through each tile
if contains hidden enemy unit throw TrappedException
else move unit, gui receives new unit position event

if restricted to move through enemy units:
TrappedException is thrown, just return

if not restricted to move through enemy units:
TrappedException is thrown, continue through loop

where does this restriction come from?
I guess from a co, the co can change the controller ie
co becomes active
controller.setAllowTraversalThroughEnemyUnits(true)

Ursan has good ideas, I understand he has done most coding?
Will he come back at some pont?

Last edited by stef569 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Interesting forum!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:48 pm 
Main Coder

Quote:
which allows the unit to make some change to the underlying data structures (units, tiles, and global data)

I disagree, a unit should not alter the game/global data, a unit has a Tile reference so it can control that ie unit.setLocation(Tile t) but not query it for properties?

a controller should define the behaviour.

Quote:
Battles have several cycles

Battle? If i would not look at the src, I would say that it controls a battle between 2 units.
Instead it groups a map, turns this looks more to a Game to me.

Quote:
There will be a global set of variables, which can be used to store information not specific to a particular unit or tile, and also to allow communication with the menu/story part of the game. Most likely this will be set up beforehand much like units and tiles, but it may be possible to make new variables.

I wonder what this information might be?
I can only guess so: The game name, the version, authors,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:12 pm 

Quote:

Urusan was indeed one of the main programmers of CW. Only he can speak for himself, but he has repeatedly stated he is busy with real life and I don't think we can rely on him making a comeback in the immediate future.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:48 am 

Narts wrote:
Quote:

Urusan was indeed one of the main programmers of CW. Only he can speak for himself, but he has repeatedly stated he is busy with real life and I don't think we can rely on him making a comeback in the immediate future.

Well, I can speak on behalf of Uru...

We both were looking forward to creating the new engine for CW until we ran short of time. Urusan is very busy with life at this moment. He said he'll come back around Summer 2009. I think that we need to focus on the here and now. If an engine like Urusan's prospect is what you guys are after, I have a prototype that is based on his engines design. I have been adding to the engine in his absence, so maybe I'll be able to help you out the most if you want to use it.