It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:41 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Distribution Revolution...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:53 am 

http://code.google.com/p/customwars/

The link above will take you to the latest copy of "Custom Wars 2"... or at least to where the release is held :P...

Be warned. This IS NOT an official distribution release. This release is basically a test release so that testers and users may see the progress of the game thus far. So, with this release will come bugs. A full list of bugs is within the issue list in the above link, but if you don't wanna go through that... then I'll list the major bugs here.

Bugs
-Server system is a little buggy- You might not be able to connect with another person online smoothly for an entire game...
-MapScreen Dilemma- You can't press up/down on the map select screen so use the mouse to select the map (for now)...

To get this game running, all you'd have to do is...

0.25) Go to above link...
0.5) Click the Download tab
0.75) Download "Unofficial Distribution 1.0"
1) Extract the .rar file (using WinRar or extraction equivalent).
2) Open CWDist folder.
3) Double-click (or open) the [Custom_Wars.jar] file.

It should work right out of the package. If not, then you'd probably need to check if you have the latest version of Java installed. There was a documentation on how to get the .jar files running deep in the archives of CW. However, I'll look for it and post up the link when I find it. In the meantime, if there is a problem with the distribution, post here and I'll see what I can do.

JSR...

EDIT: Confusion Cleared... Thank you Narts...
http://forums.customwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=8828

Last edited by JakeSamiRulz on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Distribution Revolution...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:42 pm 

JakeSamiRulz wrote:
The link above will take you to the latest copy of CW... (CW2? AdHocWars? whatever...)
When you're talking about the engine, it's officially Custom Wars 2. (or, in this case CW1, since we have not started on the implementation of the actual CW2 engine) Ad Hoc Wars is a content plugin that works on top of CW2, the engine. Users can be excused for getting mixed up about the nomenclature but us devs should be on top of things. Refer to the glossary topic to avoid confusion in future: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=8828

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:44 am 

Good Job! Great that we have a release.
This is a beta(out side testing release) as opposed to alpha(inhouse) so should be marked appropriately. I'd like to adopt the linux standard of versioning:
Major.feature.bugfix.other
That would make this release something like: v.0.3.0.0_beta.zip as the last version I named as v.0.2.7.0_beta.zip (renamed from customwars27.zip).
I didn't include a version 1 on the start as I was unaware that the game had ever been considered as officially finished and publicly available at the time.
Now in the knowledge that there had been a lot of people actually playing with this I would consider the last version to be version 1 so it should actually be: v.1.3.0.0_beta.zip
This is not version two as it is not technically a completely new code base and API breaker. All of the old, publicly exposed method calls should still work but there has been a major overhauling that I think should be acknowledged as at least a feature rather than a pure bug fix. I'll rename it appropriately if others agree.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:50 am 

http://code.google.com/p/customwars/downloads/list

The server system is still a pickle in cw1. However, I am not going to let that stop us from creating the second distribution. The link above contains tests for the new engine we are using for the creation of CW. The engine name is Slick and I suggest all interested in the coding aspect of the project to be familiar at least with the classes. I am always available if you have any questions regarding the programming aspect of the game.

About the Second Release

Name: Slick2D Test Version 0.0.1
Instructions:
Everything should work right out of the box, if not, you need the current version of Java installed. Extract slicktest.rar and open slicktest.jar to run. There is a README contained if you need further info. If there are any bugs, let them be heard in the RWC. As always, if there is a problem with the distribution I am always available.

-JSR
CW Programmer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:21 am 
Main Coder

Link moved to information center
I will keep updating the url, when new tests are completed
space to goto the next screen, press key screen does not work yet.

if you see text instead of a game starting up
right click on webstart.jnlp save on desktop, then click on it(use java to launch it)

If your os cannot open the jnlp file automatically but you have java installed:
find where you installed java jre
look for javaws.exe and launch it with that.

Last edited by stef569 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:49 am 

I've added a prototype build for Ad Hoc Wars.

Get it from: http://code.google.com/p/customwars/downloads/list

Extract to CW directory and run. Source code available from me by request.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:08 am 

OK uncovered a problem already. I can't seem to be able to play a server game with AHW. When I try to start the game as P1 by pressing A button in the game options screen, nothing happens... if I press B to go back into the CO selection, I can select a CO for P2 and I can start the game, and it appears to then play as a normal client side hot seat game, meaning I can play for both players, and nothing seems to be sent to the server. JakeSami, can you verify if this problem exists in the mainline CW as well? Or did I just screw up something majorly...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:07 am 

Found the cause of the bug. Apparently the game starting mechanism or some code related to it doesn't like a COList of the length of 1, so I sidestepped this by making "Max" available for selection. (CO selection makes no difference, powers and skills have been disabled) Seems to work fine now, server games and all. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:16 pm 

I have added the AHW source in zip format for those who may be interested (and as backup).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:10 am 

Ad Hoc Commander version 1 released. Includes new units, platform terrain and the determinism changes.

No COs, but they will be in the next release.