It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:04 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Possible Menu Theme
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:56 pm 

This is a menu theme for Custom Wars: Tactics that JSR had me whip up. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk3DbeT4Lu0

"Bunny-cat is a dick."
~SF Debris, on Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

"It's like they took everything you shouldn't put into a movie... and made a show out of it."
~JakeSamiRulz, on Boku no Pico.

My blog.
My YouTube channel.

Post subject: Re: Possible Menu Theme
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:15 pm 

Are you aiming to recreate the AW feel or something of its own?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 am 

DiamondPheonix wrote:

I am a bit conflicted at the moment. I mean, when I had Mara create this theme, we took a look at the original CW theme...
The Original CW theme (ogg)

There is really nothing "Advance Wars" about it, actually, it really is very basic tune. Even though my heart feels that a tribute to AW would be the best thing, another piece of me is looking for an edgy vibrant piece that will spark excitement in the project. That is why I am trying to get people's second and third opinions on it to see which route would be better.

Being a programmer, it is quite easy for me to "lose touch" with what is important to the users. The main reason CWT has so much documentation was to set up a huge reminder about who this project is really for. As for the music and art direction of this program, I am hoping that being able to customize will create better ideas over time.

Anyway, I am fishing for your opinions on the menu music. Do you like this song as is? Do you want it to be more vibrant? Do you want it to feel like an AW classic? or is it some combination of the preceding?

Since people are going to be listening to it in a menu setting, I think it is only right that the users should have some opinion on it. Keep in mind, I will make the ultimate decision, but any advice that you give will be considered highly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:26 am 

DiamondPheonix wrote:

I'd be curious to know what you consider an "AW feel" considering how different the menu themes were. But to answer your question, I'm pretty much going with whatever sounds the most fitting to me. If JSR wants me to get it sounding like one of the other menus specifically then I can do that, but my personal preference would be to give CWT its own distinct theme.

"Bunny-cat is a dick."

"It's like they took everything you shouldn't put into a movie... and made a show out of it."

My blog.
My YouTube channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:31 pm 

A good game soundtrack, to me at least, has some sort of "feeling" about it that makes an unmistakable connection to the game in question. This is, of course, impossible to quantify. However, if you listen to AW1-3, they have a sound about them which, after even a brief introduction, you can say "Yes, this is AW music." AW4 has its own feeling, being a reboot or alternate universe or whatever you want to call it. How does all this relate to this particular song? It probably doesn't, I only mean to suggest not using this tune and then having another akin to, say, death metal. Although, to be honest, I usually supply my own music while playing games like AW, usually from other games themselves. Ace Combat music goes well with a surprising number of things.

Anyhow, this strikes me more as a title screen than a menu theme. I can see the title fade in as the song quickly winds up. If there was a quiet extension to the intro, that's where the company credits would appear, although silence would work as well in this case. Better yet, remember the old Sega or Capcom flourishes? For Sega, it was just "Sega!" but Capcom had a little jingle. That's what this theme brings to mind, if it makes any sense.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:37 pm 

JSR wanted this song because he felt that the first version was about as close to menu music as I've ever gotten, and wanted me to retool it a bit. That song was originally made in 2011 for an unrelated project, which is why I mention in the video description that an entirely new song may be called for.

As for why he wanted this upbeat of a song for the menu, I think he's just trying to avoid having it sound like the old CW theme as much as possible. Considering that song sounded like it belonged in the old N64 Super Smash Bros. more than it belonged in Advance Wars, I can understand that decision at least.

Still, I don't get to decide what song is going to get used. I'm pretty much following JSR's instructions when it comes to this.

"Bunny-cat is a dick."

My blog.
My YouTube channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:33 pm 

As it stands, I find it rather rousing for a menu theme, but I'm hardly representative of the larger audience. Speaking of which, well, the project will have to advance further if you want a larger audience to survey.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:49 am 

I'm currently polling my programming team (whom are lurking on the forums), to see if I can get a small sample opinion on the theme song. So far though, it is looking as though the theme song needs to be toned down a bit for a more relaxing theme. I am getting a bit more opinions on it still, but I am beginning to feel the same way about it.

The AW feel is going to be a lot harder to nail down. For those who actually listened to the original CW theme, it didn't actually scream AW. I guess the best way to handle this is probably to give a sample of how the menu system is going to look. People can then play the menu theme samples in the background and get a better opinion.

Custom Wars: Tactics Menu Demo

I'll probably choose sound effects based on the song, rather than the other way around. Oh yes, and make sure you check the updates, because Milestone 2.6 has been released, more information on it can be checked out...

Milestone 2.6 Video

Thanks for all your help on this effort. I really appreciate it.

JSR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:53 am 

At the moment I'm working on a menu song with a slow start that progresses into a less rousing version of this one.

"Bunny-cat is a dick."

My blog.
My YouTube channel.