It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: PQ: The Game Plan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:31 pm 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Custom Wars 2: The Game Plan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“What is it?”

A customizable AW style game based off a hybrid of the AW:DS and AW:DoR engines. Instead of focusing directly on creating the game; the engine will basically cater to custom content and features created by the users.

"Theme..."

-Modern (Futuristic/Realtime): If you imagine how a war would look today and drew it on paper; that is a pretty good example of how a modern style would look. The game is going to have a similar art style to AWDoR. Consolidating between AWDS and AWDoR graphics might be a refresher for fans of the series. However, graphics need to be crisp and readable no matter what art design we select.

"Prospect Default Screensize"

640x480 Window - 15x15 pixel Tiles

“Features, please?”

- AW style gameplay (Square Grid)
- Hex-based gameplay (Hex Grid) - ???
- 3D implementation (Java, OpenGL?)
- Customizable/Moddable content: CO’s, map, terrain, units, game rules, and campaigns.
- Online Server
- Fully Working AI
- Map Editor/Creator
- File Save/Load System: (Game Saves, Map)
- Game Modes: Including Campaign, Single-Player, Multi-player (one computer/link)

Gameplay elements:
-Basic Functionality:
- Turn Based Game(Turn is ended when “End” is selected)
- Squaregrid Tile System (4-way movement)
- Terrain Movement System (Terrain Stars/Movement Points supported)
- Building System (Select Buildings: Launch Missiles/Build/Win Game/Funds supported)
- Special Building System (a.k.a. Inventions/Pipe/ Plasma/Meteors supported)
- CO System (Includes CO D2D supported)
- Unit System (Includes Air/Sea/Ground/Pipe Units supported)

- AW:DS functionality:
- Tag Power System (Includes Switch/Power/Super/Tag Powers supported)

-AW:DoR functionality:
- Level-Up Units (Includes Level I/II/Veteran classes)
- CO Zone System

“Is there content?”

Content:

- We will be counting on users to create content for the main game.

I am hoping that we will eventually create a fair system that will allow user to easily store their creations on the game database. However, we will strive to make this program expandable and able to read many customizable files, including ones created by the user. The engine will have to instantly organize all those files, and make them instantly use-able without having to recompile the engine. Therefore, allowing you to use these creations on your home computer if you decide to create them.

-This might change in the future, but I think for now, I am not planning to have any real stationery content for the game.

“Okay, then how about story?”

Undecided, for now. There is a (30% chance) this game will have a story.

-If it does, it'd be nice if it followed the theme we have set. I really don't believe it should be campaign-ish, but instead more of an introduction to the many custom stories people will write for this game. At this point, there is a (10% chance) this game will have an "official" campaign. That is all.

Glossary

D2D: Day to Day Commanding Officer Stats
Creator: Someone who wants to alter the game without prior coding knowledge
Modder: Someone who wants to alter the game with coding knowledge

"What you would like the ability to edit in an AW type game?"

This question is the reason this topic was created. I really want to know what you think. However, it is quite hard to do this without a game plan, so I wrote a mock one up... Before you chew me up here, let me lay down some ground rules. These rules apply to everyone.

1) This is a speculative list of what we are striving to attain with the final product. This is in no way a FINAL list. All ideas stated here can be changed at any time for any reason.

2) Chances are I forgot something. This list was written up pretty quickly, and can only be fixed up underneath your eye. I want to make sure this game caters to as much of your ideas as possible. So....

3) If you think a feature needs rewriting, you want to remove a feature, or you want to add a new feature, then....
- If it needs rewriting or removal: Quote the topic, and make sure you say why. Trust me, your ideas are a lot more important than you realize.
- If it is new: Write down a brief description of what it is.

-I am going to review and add in the features as you name them here. This is going to be a good window into the structure of the game, and it'll also keep us abreast of the features you want in the game. So I encourage everyone to state their ideas freely... Make sure you check the plan for updates as they occur.

Okay, there is the game plan...
Any questions, comments, additions... state em' here...

-JSR

Last edited by JakeSamiRulz on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: PQ: Game Play Features
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:25 pm 

moddable... what language will we be modding in?
i remember somewhere chom chom gave something like
modname/maps
modname/sprites
modname/data
or something like that

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:42 pm 
Main Coder

I would limit modding to changing values in data files, not actual coding, you can always help coding, add a feature in java on svn.

Quote:
- Hex-based gameplay (Hex Grid)
I think we have to choose between tile or hex.
I'm for tile because it is easier to work with(we got the code to handle those)

Quote:
“Okay, then how about story?”

I have never cared much about stories/campaigns I always skip campaigns, if you been writing a game you just look different to campaigns, it's just a triggered map with predeployed units with 1 goal, showing how stupid the ai is + a dialog that can't be skipped :P

On the other hand if somebody knows EE(empire earth) I did play the german campaign 2 times, Why?
because it was very challenging I attack on one place and they attack on the other side, always attacking the weak spot, and the ai airforce was very active+I liked the german military.
It's clear that a campaign is nothing without a good AI, campaigns can be added easily when the basic game mechanisms are in place, it should be prioritized accordantly.

Most important for me is the strategy element, you start with +- same amount of units but by outsmarting/traps/using the terrain you win.
If somebody can make a story I would be stunned, but if the game has no story just the units and the strategy then I won't miss it. This is just my opinion.

Last edited by stef569 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:21 pm 

IanParr wrote:
moddable... what language will we be modding in?
i remember somewhere chom chom gave something like
modname/maps
modname/sprites
modname/data
or something like that

Okay, for now, mods are going to happen in java code. However, you won't need a recompile the engine in order for you to mod CO's. You just change the file and run the game.

-As for the sprites, and data... I think that'll be part of the CO file.
-Maps should run the way they always have been. As far as I know, those were always alterable.

-JSR...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:21 pm 

Quote:
Now, it isn’t pretty, just a result of like 2 minutes of thinking. However, we need a story that doesn’t force an era of time or a place in history. It’ll probably allow much more freedom when it came to creating units, campaigns, terrain, and CO's. All in all, I think it’ll be a lot more fun for the creators. But, this is only an opinion.

Ugh, we definitely don't need any kind of story to tie everything together. The idea isn't to mash all custom content that people can come up with into a giant mess like the old CW, but rather to give people the possibility of making their own self-contained games, with their own stories, CO lineups, units etc. This is, if these hypothetical “modders” that we speak of actually exist. Who exactly are we making this engine for?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:35 pm 

No story... Story. We won't win either way. The story doesn't really even matter actually, I should wipe it from the feature list...

It is pretty simple what the community is asking for, I stated it directly in the Game Plan...

Quote:
A customizable AW style game based off a hybrid of the AW:DS and AW:DoR engines. Instead of focusing directly on creating the game; the engine will basically cater to custom content and features created by the users.

What we DO need is a game that will incorporate AW:DS and AW:DoR functionality. I don't care what that game is.

-If Ad-Hoc Wars gives us the ability to add whatever functionality we want to the game design, then maybe that'll be the best solution. We'll just build Ad-Hoc Wars...

-If that isn't going to happen for Ad-Hoc Wars, we should just build a game from scratch that makes it happen.

We have to move forward, and we have to do it quickly... If we want to build a game, we have to start taking control now.

-JSR...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:07 pm 

Just throwing this out there, my adhoc wars progress is gone, hardrive failure and it cannot be recovered. Also Im kinda sick over no one making up their mind and everything happening randomly so ya I kinda not coming back, have fun with your game.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:47 am 

JakeSamiRulz wrote:
-If Ad-Hoc Wars gives us the ability to add whatever functionality we want to the game design, then maybe that'll be the best solution. We'll just build Ad-Hoc Wars...

Good idea. You're a programmer, can you please punch the numbers from Frosty's topic into CW (any version will do) and make a working build so we can actually test the game and plan for the next iteration? I was planning to do this myself but I kind of lost steam after I couldn't figure out how to make Eclipse find the main class on Linux (and my Windows computer blew up so yeah). Anyway I'd prefer a real programmer does this so there is smaller chance of a fuckup.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:38 am 

Campains should be scriptable, things to think about is: what map to load, placing starting units, what co's are playing, camera movement and conversations between co's.

AI should be scriptable too.

Units, Maps and CO's should be moddable.

And I think that is it, only other thing I can think of is perhaps allowing save files to be modified... but that's probably a bad idea.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:05 am 

Narts wrote:
Good idea. You're a programmer, can you please punch the numbers from Frosty's topic into CW (any version will do) and make a working build so we can actually test the game and plan for the next iteration? I was planning to do this myself but I kind of lost steam after I couldn't figure out how to make Eclipse find the main class on Linux (and my Windows computer blew up so yeah). Anyway I'd prefer a real programmer does this so there is smaller chance of a fuckup.

If you are asking me to do this as a side project, then I have no problem with it. However, if you are asking me to focus all my time onto this build, I can't oblige. But, it will not stop me from helping you out Narts, so check your gmail...

There is an issue I just have to address.

1) This lack of leadership is really beginning to annoy me.

- We need a leader, that is for certain. TBH, I really don't mind leading at this point so we can start getting some real work done. If it is okay with all of you, I'll fill in for leader.

-I'll make sure to keep things as organized.
-I'll keep a strong direction on what we need to accomplish.
-I'll make sure we'll make this game, even if I have to program it myself.

There is something about this community that drives me to want to stay here. I don't know if it is the passion of the new coding team, or the people that keep coming back to this community that intrigues me. I believe that great ideas like this one needs to be materialized. This time, we will make this game happen. If there is anything I'll promise...

-I will intently listen to all of your ideas and think about their application to the game.
-I will make sure to keep the community informed about the coders and vice-versa.
-I will always remain an open source, which means you can ask me questions at any time.

I can't take this lack of direction anymore. We need to rebuild, and I am going to help all of us reach that goal. If it is okay with everyone, the first thing I am going to do is start nailing down a story for this game.

Narts, Destin, CO_Frosty, and anyone else interested in the story... I am calling you all out here. A new topic is going to be created to start dealing with the various game play elements.

-JSR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:14 pm 

We should probably go for bare essentials first, then add things on after the 'skeleton' has been completed. While the point of this is only to attract programers to create origional content and show off the engine, we should put effort in the minor details like dialouge, music, story, and spriting. If the 'demo' is more impressive, programmers are more likely to be impressed and want to use it.

Post subject: Re: PQ: The Game Plan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:03 am 

Quote:
We should probably go for bare essentials first, then add things on after the 'skeleton' has been completed. While the point of this is only to attract programers to create origional content and show off the engine, we should put effort in the minor details like dialouge, music, story, and spriting. If the 'demo' is more impressive, gamers are more likely to be impressed and want to use it.

-Yeah, that is what the programmers are aiming for, except we want to make it for all developers...

-Okay, I am "partially" making the game plan official. Therefore, this will be the first place to look and see what direction the game is going to take. If it is in italics we are still thinking about it, but it is up there just in case we decide to add that functionality. I am still accepting edits and feature requests...

-The next phase #2 is going to be deciding the visuals. What are visuals? Well...

1)How big the screen should be. (ScreenSize)
2)How big the tile sets should be. (TileSize)
3)How big should the "small" font of the game be. (FontSize)

Even though it is solely in the hands of the artists/animators, this basic template will help our art stay structured and crisp. By following the template guidelines; we'll ensure art never has to be stretched or shrunk (reducing the pixel quality of the work). Whatever we draw will remain exactly like the original. Anyway, I'll regulate these now so we won't have to worry about it in the future... Time to start some new topics.

-JSR...