All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

What theme is more appealing?
1: Futuristic 35%  35%  [ 8 ]
2: Flashback 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
3: Realtime 30%  30%  [ 7 ]
4: Old AW 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
5: Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 23
 Post subject: PQ: Game Theme (Story, Units, and Damages)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:46 am 

First, here is what we are trying to create...

Quote:
"A customizable AW style game based off a hybrid of the AW:DS and AW:DoR engines. Instead of focusing directly on creating the game; the engine will basically cater to custom content and features created by the users."

We need a story that doesn't conflict with the statement above and also fits the theme we decide on.

Ad-Hoc Wars

This is a great example of a story we can use. A little altering to fit the theme we choose and it'll be fully useable. Even if this story isn't selected; we can still use the damage tables/units/ideas generated from Ad-Hoc Wars.

-But, we don't have to decide directly on a single storyline. We all have opinions on how the story should look like...

JakeSamiRulz wrote:
I think we need a story that will allow people to create custom campaigns and stories for the game, without having to worry about the time-line of the main story. Example:

“A grand explosion was heard in the universe. A secret intelligent race was sent out to research the explosion. After doing extensive research, the race found evidence of life in the bit of the nova. A planet was created to research the life patterns…”

Now, it isn’t pretty, just a result of like 2 minutes of thinking. However, we need a story that doesn’t force an era of time or a place in history. It’ll probably allow much more freedom when it came to creating units, campaigns, terrain, and CO's. All in all, I think it’ll be a lot more fun for the creators.

Narts wrote:
Ugh, we definitely don't need any kind of story to tie everything together. The idea isn't to mash all custom content that people can come up with into a giant mess like the old CW, but rather to give people the possibility of making their own self-contained games, with their own stories, CO lineups, units etc. This is, if these hypothetical “modders” that we speak of actually exist.

Quote:
I have never cared much about stories/campaigns I always skip campaigns, if you been writing a game you just look different to campaigns, it's just a triggered map with predeployed units with 1 goal, showing how stupid the ai is + a dialog that can't be skipped :P

Our ideas are all good. To be honest, it doesn't really matter if we have a story or not. However, there is 1 key thing story does for a game. It gives the game a theme to work for while we are creating it.

The 1 thing I won't tolerate is a theme-less game. So many set-backs...
-The artists won't have a focus...
-The musicians won't have a focus...
-The game designers won't have a focus...
That is nothing but a big mess all over the place.

1) We need a theme.

This is going to be our first assignment. We are going to decide on a theme/era for this game so we can start creating the art, story, music, and other data for it. There are a few options...

1) Futuristic: We set this game far in the future. We don't necessarily have to vaporize the old units, but it'll leave space for new ideas.
2) Flashback: The game is set in the surreal past. All our elements are based of off a dreamlike setting. Leaves space for new ideas.
3) Realtime: The game takes place during one of our great wars (a.k.a WWI, WWII). Not very good for unit creation, but opens the borders to some classic art and crisp gameplay.
4) Old AW: We base the game off of any old AW game. Don't try and use this option as an excuse to rip old art/sprites. If we can do it ourselves, we should.

These are very vague categories but very helpful if we can narrow it down. I want you to give opinions like you never have before. This is a very crucial step in the development and I need as many votes as possible. Having a theme doesn't necessarily mean we need a story, but it will help when creating one.

By all means, discuss... comment. If you have a theme to add to the list, write it down as a number in your posts and I'll add it up there. Voting time begins now.

-JSR...

Last edited by JakeSamiRulz on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: PQ: Game Theme (Story, Units, and Damages)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:58 pm 

May I suggest we just set it a few years in the future, this would let us use all the old units and maybe add a few new ones.

Another reason why I want to keep the old units is so we can load the old maps the community has created.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:32 pm 

You don't understand, the game itself is gone, the plot is still on the forums not too hard to find.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:37 pm 
Main Coder

Why is option 4 not recommended? I think Narts already got unit and property sheet images.
4) Old AW: We base the game off of any old AW game. I highly don't recommend it, it'll become a disaster when it comes to art and music.

Narts & team are creating their own images/data that looks like aw but is different, they wrote the game specs down very clearly on the design document page. I guess the theme they use is old aw?

On the other hand option 3) realtime ww2 looks good as well
I've seen free ww2 sprites and i'm very interested in what happened in ww2(especially the military part)
I can't choose between 3 and 4.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:43 am 

Destin wrote:
You don't understand, the game itself is gone, the plot is still on the forums not too hard to find.

Oh, the game can be remade my friend; it is just changing the data in one of the CW Builds.
-If you are still interested in building the story, I'll just contact you after a theme is set. All that'll need to be done is changing the story to fit the theme, without conflicting with our game statement.

"A customizable AW style game based off a hybrid of the AW:DS and AW:DoR engines. Instead of focusing directly on creating the game; the engine will basically cater to custom content and features created by the users."

-Now, a story isn't fully necessary, but it'll be a nice thing to have. Are you still interested?

Quote:
Why is option 4 not recommended? I think Narts already got unit and property sheet images.
4) Old AW: We base the game off of any old AW game. I highly don't recommend it, it'll become a disaster when it comes to art and music.

Narts & team are creating their own images/data that looks like aw but is different, they wrote the game specs down very clearly on the design document page. I guess the theme they use is old aw?

Okay, stef brings up a pretty good point. We can base a game off of the old AW without having to rip the units and the sprites. In that case, #4 is okay. So, lemme clarify that in my top post.

-I really don't like the idea of ripping anything. If we can do it ourselves; we better make sure we continue in that route.

-JSR...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:12 pm 

I voted for the flashback theme, as it'll give us plenty to work with. I also like the futuristic setting, but would prefer a near-future then a far off future, as it would allow us to use units similar to those in the AW games while leaving plenty of options for origional ones.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:29 am 

So far the theme is...

Realtime/Futuristic

Sounds like a pretty modern look for the game, actually. The art direction is definitely going to look more like Advance Wars:Days of Ruin (AW:Dark Conflict) tile sets than anything else. A solemn mix between the 2 styles (AWDS and AWDoR) for the artwork might consolidate a lot of fans while sticking to the theme we've set.

Anyway, I don't wanna speak too soon. The voting for the theme is still active and will remain active until Monday, 2-23-09, 12:00PM(PST). After this, I'll close the poll finalizing the theme. For now, I'll start drawing up some concept art for the tile set and see if I can get any inspiration for some new artwork.

Art Direction (70% chance): Modern Look

Remember, you have the power to change the theme with your votes :)... I'm always available for questioning and commenting...

-JSR...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:18 am 

In the past the idea of a Steampunk setting was discussed (flashback category i think) and ive been playing Commanders: Attack of the Genos and the art style in the game is fun to look at. also some of the more popular console games have followed this route (Bioshock, Fallout 3). Ill go see if i can dig up the CO sprites from commanders so i can show some examples.

http://brw.twinkfish.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:42 am 

Retro-futurism is not automatically steampunk. Fallout and bioshock have nothing to do with steampunk. Steampunk = victorian alternate history basically.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:57 am 

Ah my bad I need to read a dictionary every once an a while

http://brw.twinkfish.com/