It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:14 am

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

What your preferred size? (Choose 2: One for each category)
ScreenSize: 160x120; 10pt Font 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
ScreenSize: 320x240; 12pt Font 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
ScreenSize: 400x300; 14pt Font 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
ScreenSize: 640x480; 18pt Font 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
ScreenSize: 800x600; 20pt Font 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
TileSize: 5x5 pixels 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
TileSize: 10x10 pixels 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
TileSize: 15x15 pixels 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
TileSize: 20x20 pixels 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Other: (state below) 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject: PQ: Visuals
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:17 am 

"You are creating way to many topics man. What is this one about?"

When designing a fan game, such as this one, many believe that the visuals are the least important of the design phase.
-"Just throw everything on the screen and let the artwork work itself out. A theme is unimportant, we just follow what the last guy drew up."

I am here to change that.

From this point on, we are no longer designing just "another AW fan game." This is a real game, and we are going to start planning for it like one. Visuals are very important to any game. We need to make sure that the artwork, music, and texts all flow together as closely as possible. (It doesn't need to be perfect, none of us are receiving any money for this...) We just need to keep great control over the visual aspects of the game.

-People should be able read the units without having to use a "zoom" feature.
-People shouldn't be trying to read white text on neon-green.
-Units should be highly distinct from one another
-Terrain and buildings should be recognizable, just by visuals alone.

Of course, these are not official guidelines. But we should strive to keep a sense of pride while creating this game. I believe that we should be proud of whatever work we accomplish.

"Well, doesn't this mean we'll have high standards for artwork?"

Not necessarily, we all have different artist skill levels. Shunning out your work just because you can't draw as well as the other person is just plain... unfair. The argument against not having high standards is... that it demotes the quality of the work. I do understand this, but I am not going to drive a STOP sign into artwork just because I want to keep a standard. We are going to need everyone's skills in order to make things work.

"Get to the point. What is the solution?"

I will not regulate the artwork as long as you complete what is required in the sprite sheet. The default artwork WILL be regulated, thematic, and follow the guidelines as closely as possible. But, if you complete an artwork sprite sheet you want to see in the game; I will always allow you to decide what visuals you would like to see for your games. A fair compromise, I hope so.

"How?"

If possible, I will have an in-game option where you can decide on who's artwork you'd like to see. (As long as we have a manageable amount of space to store all the work the artists have created.) Other than that, I'll leave the artwork visible in the folders so all you have to do is switch your sprite sheet with the default one.

"Okay, you are off-topic..."

The first step to keeping the artwork regulated is deciding our screen size. Therefore, the first thing I am going to do is regulate the screen size and the tile-set size for the game. (Don't worry, there will be a mini-map no matter what we select :)...) There are a few options on the top of the screen stating the Screen Size and the Tile Size. Choose one of each type. I will explain them more thorough below.

Screen Size:
-In pixels (width x height), this is how big the window will be in your screen. The font size is a general guideline of the typical font size we will use on that screen. Don't be too quick to decide, there are advantages no matter which way you choose (see below)...

Tile Size:
-In pixels (width x height), how big a single tile on the screen will be. This is separate from the screen size. Don't be too quick to decide, there are advantages no matter which way you choose (see below)...

Smaller Advantages:
Screen
-Easy to draw (Pics won't take all day)
-Art takes up little space in memory (More space for art)
-Faster loading time (Game will run quicker)

Tile
-The smaller the tiles, the more that can fit on screen (Less scrolling)

Big Advantages:
Screen
-Easier to read font (No small text)
-Leaves space for greatly detailed artwork (Detailed graphics)
-A lot less scrolling to see items on the map (Helps tile sets)

Tile
-The larger the tiles, the more detailed they'll be (Less Building/Unit confusion)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What to choose? What to choose?"

Generally, we are looking for a balance between the large and the small sizes. Smaller sizes are better for game-play purposes. Larger Sizes are better for visuals. It is going to be a tightrope between speed(small) and quality(large).

Make sure you vote 1 ScreenSize and 1 TileSize for each. You can change your votes at anytime, making this a pretty open voting session. IMO, the Screen Size is much more crucial than the Tile Size.

Any comments, questions, new sizes... state em' ere. I am always available to answer your questions if need be...

-JSR...

Post subject: Re: PQ: Visuals
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:23 am 

If this game is going to be cross-platform it should support as many screen sizes as possible, selectable by the end user.

If this engine is going to be customiseable, it should support any tile and font size as selected by the creator of the mod.

There is no need for a poll like this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:21 am 

Oh yeah, good point. Instead, how about we just use this poll for default sizes.

Mods are mods... we can't control those at all. The end user can decide on whatever size screen they want to. Hell, they don't even have to use every rule in the game. Mods don't count.

Obviously, we are going to have to create our own "modded" version of the game to test if the feature additions are functional. (We can't assume all features in the game will be used.) This poll will be perfect for helping us create a "mock-up" test game to test what works and what doesn't. When the modders come in with their ideas, we just bend to accommodate them.

At this point, I am trying to structure those tests so the user can see what we are up to. If the tests look nice at least, I think faith in the project will follow. Regulating the tests will at least help me keep things partially organized. That way, if you wanna draw art and see it on-screen, all I have to do is point to the specs.

Beginning processes suck. I hope we will get those willing to mod the game... but first, we need to have a moddable game.

-JSR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:47 pm 

if you build it, they will come

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:51 pm 

Yes, the only thing your game really needs to do is to work. It doesn't matter if the graphics suck and are made of ascii characters, it doesn't matter even if the balance is completely absurd, as long as you demonstrate that your engine is functional and can be customised to people's needs.

The default game is not important. The engine is. It might be best if the default game is built only for the purpose of simply testing the engine, not for real gameplay. That way there is no need for designers or voting, you just put every engine feature to use somehow, it sounds like that's you want anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:57 am 

Narts wrote:
The default game is not important. The engine is. It might be best if the default game is built only for the purpose of simply testing the engine, not for real gameplay. That way there is no need for designers or voting, you just put every engine feature to use somehow, it sounds like that's you want anyway.

Well, that is kind of what I want. As said before, I can't really expect people to use every feature. The only way to fully test them is to make a game out of it. A game basically guarantees...
-You'll see the application of the feature.
-You'll see whether it fits your mod.

"The real reason I want the default game to look nice is not for the modders, but for the community."
-What are the advantages of that setup, well...

1) Bug-testing: Having the whole community able to test a game is a lot better than having the chosen "few select members". Bugs/Problems will be found like 80x faster as well. New features will be found faster.
2) Art Involvement: Anyone can make templates for the game. If you standardize the way everything is, there won't be any need to hire an artist to get material. Meet your mod to specs; Cut & Paste material.
3) "Obvious" features: Some features only seem obvious if you are building a game. We'll probably have more initial features if we build a game, then if we just build features alone.
4) Community Involvement: It'll give new artists/musicians something to do. They can make their work available to the community, and the community can use it in their mods/games. With the standard, it makes sure art will be usable immediately after download, no matter which version of the game they are running.
5)Programmer awareness: It forces us to have to keep the community informed of the new features added and bugs fixed. Prevents coders from becoming lazy with updating the forums and each other about new features/bugs.

Not to mention that just building features alone is... BORING. Modders can do as they please, but a nice looking demo game is a great way to showcase what CW fully has to offer. If we can organize all features into a single nice looking game, I can expect feedback from everyone (not just the modders.)

This is the only reason I am stressing a standard, I want as much feedback about the game as possible. If the demo looks graphically appealing, more people will understand the tests and want to help look for errors and bugs. The more hands we can get to test a game, the better the game features will become and the more features we'll have. The rest is just extra.

-JSR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:05 am 

While we only need it to work, there are benefits to polishing it. The better we make the 'demo' play/look, the more people, and by extention potential modders, we draw to the project. With more people working on mods, the Custom Wars community grows stronger.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:57 pm 
Main Coder

Narts wrote:
If this engine is going to be customizable, it should support any tile and font size as selected by the creator of the mod.

I can understand the tileSize as a parameter but why the font size? If the font changes then the text will not fit within the panel bounds... It's much easier to have the font defined once for all games. The panel could grow when the font is too large but still different fonts for different plugins? I think modders are the people that like to change the game to support their units and the gui doesn't need to be changed.
or did you mean something else?

JSR wrote:
I-People should be able read the units without having to use a "zoom" feature.

You mean the units on the map, they are small because of the tile size and the poll says proffered tile size is 16 that's small...
kinda contradiction here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:45 am 

Yeah, looking back on it... The fontSize is kinda, whatever. (meaningless :) )... I agree that the tilesize is also very small. I think the generic 32x32 tilesize works well on all fronts. IMHO, all that matters is that the pictures and the font is big enough to read.

Yeah, I do believe custom fonts in menus is great to consider, but it is in no way necessary for us to program in, yet. Perks are nice, but the "basic" unit, CO, and terrain customization is just about all we need, for now...

JSR...