It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:33 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Is it possible to port custom wars to a gp2x wiz
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:55 am 
Is it possible to port custom wars to a gp2x wiz?
The gp2x wiz is a portable gaming console http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X_Wiz, that uses a linux system to run games.

For a better understanding of what people have ported to the wiz just take a trip to the archive. http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi

The basic specs are :
CPU: 533MHz ARM9 3D Accelerator
RAM: SDRAM 64 MB
Operating System: GNU/Linux-based OS
Display: 320×240 2.8 inch AMOLED Touch Screen
3D Acceleration and TV Out
Chipset supports OpenGL ES 1.1
133M Texel/sec, 1.33M Polygon/sec

I don't know that much about programing, but it seems like if custom wars is a java app, then it would be pretty simple to utilize it for the gp2x wiz

I know that the people who are developing custom wars are a lot more interested in getting it to run on major os's and systems, but if it seems simple enough could you please point me in right direction of doing this?

(Oh and I am sorry if I sound like a total DILIGENT INDIVIDUAL)

Post subject: Re: Is it possible to port custom wars to a gp2x wiz
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:46 am 

Well, I am uncertain whether it'll be easy to create a java port to the gp2x wiz. I heard very little of this system before this; all I knew was it was Linux based handheld.

After reading those links, I know it supports all the hardware necessary to run CW. But, since the GP2X doesn't directly have Java support, the only way I am thinking this can be done is through an (#1) Java applet, or if you have some sort of (#2) Java emulator.

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/47946-java-emulator-for-wiz/

CW isn't written in applet format, so that leaves option #2. I checked the main page for GP2X and it seems they do not have a Java emulator for this system yet. If you find one, then it is as simple as just using that emulator to run the program. I'll deal with the key mapping support for the emulator when the time arises.

Possibly the team will be able to write CW in a more portable format in the future, but for now we are just focusing just on Linux, Windows, and Macs. I know there was an Java emulator for PSP, but since the GP2X system is fairly new maybe it'll take a while for Java support to be added.

Hope this helps ya out a little...

JSR...

Post subject: Re: Is it possible to port custom wars to a gp2x wiz
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:13 am 
Thanks, Ill be sure to try it out as soon as someone creates a java emulator