It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:20 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: CW on a 64-bit OS?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:47 am 

yeah so I've been trying since like last year to get friggin' CW2 working. I have a nice computer (nice ATI Radeon card sitting in here, hell yeah resident evil 5) but no matter what it'd work on my clunkers of computers, but not my new one. I kept getting errors so I just cursed it out and went on with my life, but today I sat down and actually read the error message and it was actually quite a simple problem.
It just turns out that the DLL being used for graphics relevant to a 32-bit platform. I'm on Windows 7 and evidently it's a 64-bit platform.
So: simple question. For us 64-bit end-users, what are our options? Is it CW's setup (with DLLs), or is it Java-side?

and yes thats my real name lets keep this internet and refer to kosheh as kosheh ok ):

Post subject: Re: CW on a 64-bit OS?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:14 am 
Main Coder

Hello Kosheh,

Interesting problem :D Atm cw2 does not support 64 bit hence the error. But it is possible!
The problem is that the slick release does not include the 64 bit dll's. So I'm waiting for slick to update to the latest LWJGL.
My problem is that I don't have a 64 bit pc available and I can't test...

I found some relevant texts:
Quote:
[22:43:51] <Core-Dump> i recently switched to windows 64 (amd ) and getting a "Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform" error. java.library.path points to the windows/natives folder, which contains both the lwjgl.dll and lwjgl64.dll
[22:44:30] <Core-Dump> if i remove the lwjgl.dll it cant find any library at all
[22:44:56] <kappaOne> which jre are you using?
[22:45:05] <kappaOne> 32/64 bit? and which version
[22:45:52] <Core-Dump> java version "1.6.0_18" 64-Bit Server VM, pretty sure the 64 bit version
[22:46:10] <MatthiasM2> Core-Dump: make sure to use LWJGL 2.2.2+
[22:46:22] <Core-Dump> ah i'm using 2.1.0
[22:46:57] <kappaOne> best to get the nightly build of LWJGL 2.3+ :)
[22:53:18] <Core-Dump> yay, works with 2.2.2

and posts:
http://slick.javaunlimited.net/viewtopic.php?p=11800
http://lwjgl.org/forum/index.php/topic,2860.0.html

As far as I understood you have 2 options:
1. Download LWJGL 2.3 overwrite natives make sure 64 bit dlls are included
2. Uninstall 64 bit java jre, jdk
install 32 bit java jre or jdk

srry that I can't really help, the above is all I know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:27 am 

Sadly, I think the guy developing CW2 gave up. Although it was not entirely unexpected. Tends to happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:38 pm 
Main Coder

Narts wrote:
Sadly, I think the guy developing CW2 gave up. Although it was not entirely unexpected. Tends to happen.

I don't know why you think that, The google code page says activity: Medium
and I'm not ready yet to give up. I know I haven't released anything in a while and there seems to be no progress at all. But that's simply not true.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:33 am 

Give up... not in a million years.

Nah, I have been trying to get AI to the point of where it'll think more than just 1 move ahead, but designing an AI that will be smarter than a rock is no easy task. But, I have also been a hermit, so to speak. Using up all my free- time on just trying to unlock how to make a smart AI. So far... my research has been focusing on Age of Empires, which uses a real-time strategy AI. The good part is that all its AI is written on external files, which means you can edit it. I have been trying to apply this to AW, in order to create a smarter AI. So it just won't be a string of random movements and decisions. But, instead... something a little more systematic.

As of now, stef569, Tapsi, and myself have not given up. We are all researching and working behind the scenes. I do not want to see all our work go up in smoke, so... no way am I ever going to give up. The parts are slowly coming together... and I feel we are getting closer and closer. Working off of free-time though, has its set-backs. I can't work 8 hours a day... every day on it, sometimes I'll be happy if I get that in a week. But, I want this to get done... and if you are feeling like I do... I think it is just taking too much time to see progress.

However, I know... as long as I don't kneel to this reality, we will get to see the game, eventually. If you are tired, all I ask for you to do is to check back, periodically at your own leisure, to check up on progress.

JSR...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:27 pm 

To be frank, the dev team that set the standard was also composed of active users that kept in touch with the community. With word on anything as sparse as it is, anyone that checks on this place even every once in a while isn't left with a lot to imagine. What do you think when you come across a forum whose only update since you checked it three months ago is a couple of intermittent posts?

Opposite end, no one wants to hear promises or posts for the sake of posting; even Crap Wars has little tidbits and sneak-peaks at stuff being worked on. They're not huge things, especially since it's a mod and not building a game engine, but you can guess that we're still interested in it, and for some inane reason a few others are following it too.

I want to be sure you're doing this because you want to, you want to make this project yours, and you want it to happen for its own merits, not because of all the time that's already been sunk in it or the nostalgia factor or whatever. If you need to take time off so you don't get sick of it, please do so, we're used to waiting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:27 pm 

I meant the other guy developing CW2. The project that had gotten something substantial done.

Wait so the projects have been merged again? Well you can't expect us to be on the touch of things if you don't tell us anything.

Besides how many times do I have to tell you to drop the idea of making a 'smart' AI. Just do an AI that works.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:41 am 

Oh...

Well, he is like milliseconds away from getting CO's done the last time I checked. I think that he is also trying to revamp the server in a way that'll be easier for him to edit. I spoke to him last Saturday... I'm surprised he hasn't actually posted anything regarding it, oh well.

JSR...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:31 am 
Main Coder

ok I GIVE UP
do I need to give a reason or is it ok like that :)
well it was a fun ride, I learned some stuff and an Investment in knowledge always pays the best interest so they say.

I'll probably keep working on it from time to time :P Like once in a month.

game over

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:00 pm 

Yes, that's fine, take care.