It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:31 am

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Slick Tests: Bug Testing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:34 am 

Hey all,

"Slick2D is a little different form Java2D. Okay, a lot different..."
We were forced to have to redo unit movements. At first, I was planning to just find out all the bugs myself. But, I am only one person and I might overlook something. Therefore, I am releasing this test to all. Hopefully, we'll be able to filter out the bugs quicker.

"The File:"
Webstart Version - US
The only working copy, so far. I will try to get a Downloadable .jar up soon as well, but this is soo much easier to update. However, if you are having problems with the webstart, post up here and I'll see about creating the workable .jar.

"The Controls"

---Mouse---
Move around mouse: scroll through tiles
Left Click: {a Button} select a unit/select action
Right Click: {b Button} undo selection
Middle Scroll: Zoom in/out

"Brief Detail"
This test is a unit movement test. You should be able to move units on their proper terrain and wait. The only other action that should be working is the capture action for infantries and mechs. You can't attack, join, repair, load/unload, or heal yet. Moving around the map and selecting units should be fully functional.
-Ending your turn will cycle through Neutral (player 0), Stef (player 1), and JSR (player 2).
-Fog of War (AW2 style) is enabled.

"The Known Bugs"
-Allied units can stack on top one another.
-Zooming in/out causes the mouse to lose menu focus.
-Can't capture owned properties, only neutral (kiwi)
-Move costs messed up (kiwi)
---Rockets only have 2 move, infs have 1 cost over the river
-top half of first row tiles cut off by window bar (kiwi)
-cannot choose options with keyboard controls (kiwi)
---options briefly flash as if selected but cannot even cancel using keys

-If you catch any more bugs, please... post them up here. Any questions about this distribution can also be posted here as well.
-This is a temporary post, so it'll possibly disappear after all the bugs are sorted. For all who are planning to help out, thanks.

-JSR

Post subject: Re: Slick Tests: Bug Testing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:16 pm 

Just got it, fiddled around for a minute. Is there a reason for neutral to be playable? I was wondering why a bunch of units appeared out of nowhere before realizing neutral was first.

not sure if you just haven't gotten to these yet but

-cannot capture owned properties, only neutral
-move costs implemented? rockets only have 2 move, infs have 1 cost over the river
-top half of first row tiles cut off by window bar
-cannot choose options with keyboard controls, options briefly flash as if selected but cannot even cancel using keys

so yeah, I just didn't see these mentioned in your post, might be more if I get around to it, like what will happen after x amount of turns is met?

Tell me more about this webstart thing and why a jar is harder to use.
also my connection has been shit lately so I cant promise a prompt response.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:35 pm 

Okay... I will update the first post so we are all on the same page. Lemme get to your questions immediately.
kiwi wrote:
Just got it, fiddled around for a minute. Is there a reason for neutral to be playable? I was wondering why a bunch of units appeared out of nowhere before realizing neutral was first.

Yeah. "This is only a test." So, we are just tinkering around with the turns, getting used to Slick's interface. Expect clunky controls for now as we mess around with the details. The neutral turn, meh, he won't be there very long anyway. He is only for testing.
kiwi wrote:
so yeah, I just didn't see these mentioned in your post, might be more if I get around to it, like what will happen after x amount of turns is met?

Actually, you can't win. You can't lose. Theoretically, there is an "un"-limited number of turns (somewhere around 2 billion). Hopefully, it'll remain that way as we create this game. (Well, except the winning and losing part, someone has got to come out victorious in war :P...)
kiwi wrote:
Tell me more about this webstart thing and why a jar is harder to use.
also my connection has been shit lately so I cant promise a prompt response.

I am just glad you can help out with the process. Your response time is of little importance just as long as new bugs are found. (In other words, we are taking what we can get... and aren't expecting too much.) As for the webstart...

"Whars beta?!?"
The main difference between a .jar and a webstart is this.

-A .jar is comparable to a hard clay bowl. Every time I want to show people what I've done new with the program, I must recompile the Java code every time. I also have to organize the data and produce another downloadable .zip for everyone to use. (The cw1 method... why we had soo many betas.) I have to produce like one downloadable .zip per update, not too appealing.

-A .jnlp (a.k.a. webstart) is more like clay. Yes, I have to recompile code the same. But, I don't have to force you to download a whole new update (.zip). Each time you click the webstart it automatically searches and gets the latest download (when you are online). The only weakness is the confirmation page asking if you trust the user... twice... every single time you open it.

I mean, there is a little more to it, but you get the idea. Anyway, this is only until releases become more stable. I'll make sure we continue to offer both solutions in the future. For testing purposes, the webstart is a lot more practical and quick. Thanks for such a quick reply.

Always open for questions/comments...

-JSR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:24 pm 

more stuff as of this post:

-turn counter is messed up on the intro and header, reads in sequence:
stef 1, JSR 1, stef 1, JSR 2, stef 2, JSR 2, stef 3...
-I know it's noted, but you can load units, you just can't unload them
-when loading infantry into APC, infantry's vision remains there unless APC acts (move, wait, supply)
-randomly unable to launch webstart, received error: Splash: recv failed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:31 pm 
Kiwi your posts are invaluable!

If you want you can follow progress of your bugs here
http://code.google.com/p/customwars/iss ... =label:CW2

and here you can see the changes that ware needed to fix the bugs you reported
http://code.google.com/p/customwars/source/list
You can see if you are giving us a hard time or if it was a no brainer change...

Anyways, All the bugs you reported have been resolved, I updated webstart to the latest version(you can drop units out of a transport now yay!)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:39 pm 
Main Coder

kiwi wrote:
-randomly unable to launch webstart, received error: Splash: recv failed

Are you running comodo firewall on vista?
http://www.shankh.com/2008/12/14/java-w ... cv-failed/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 am 

not using vista, will try adjusting firewall

-able to load more than 1 infantry into APC, can only unload 1 per turn last unit loaded
-damage charts? tanks and infantry (exclude mechs) can't damage APCs
-rocket max range at 6
-repairs are free
-game does not end with HQ capture
-cannot join damaged units, remember overflow HP is added to funds (5+10HP tanks give 3500 funds)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:46 am 
Main Coder

webstart updated, only the apc is still having MTank defenses :p
but that's ok, since it was only added to test transporting this test is about aw gameplay. (rockets are good for killing apcs)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:02 pm 

Haven't checked a lot just yet, but noticed keyboard 'cancel' has been remapped to X instead of B as told in first post
personally I'm used to Z and X but ideally controls would be remappable right?

also I understand this is super early, but do you have any ideas on how things could run faster and smoother?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:55 am 
Main Coder

The startup time is probably affected by webstart.
where do you spend the longest time? looking at a black window or looking at a webstart download progress bar
what do you mean by smoother? units, transitions, menus,....

Remapping keys will be in the next webstart update

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:03 am 

Actually webstart is fast, about as fast as the old CW startup. It only takes time to load when an update has been made.

I'm referring to overall in-game speed and smoothness. One of CW's only perks over AWBW and, for now, other AW sims is its speed and open sourceness. You can compare the slick test to the old one and see a difference. But maybe you'll fix it later and I'm just being impatient.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:26 am 
kiwi wrote:
Actually webstart is fast, about as fast as the old CW startup. It only takes time to load when an update has been made.

I'm referring to overall in-game speed and smoothness. One of CW's only perks over AWBW and, for now, other AW sims is its speed and open sourceness. You can compare the slick test to the old one and see a difference. But maybe you'll fix it later and I'm just being impatient.

Good to hear that webstart doesn't slow things down for you!
You say in game speed/smoothness... I still don't understand. can you be like very specific?
when, what how. it's ok you can say that something seems to take an hour. that units hop like rabbits and that the game over screen looks like somebody forgot to load statistics/images.

on the other hand at the moment cw2 is very user driven, you say we do. speed/smoothness is to vague.
When the game ends I want to see statistics(bout what?) like the original game! (which one?) just
units killed/lost
cities captured/lost
... ?
I'm currently working on a download where you can edit/add plugins without recompiling.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:23 am 

uh I can't seem to run webstart at all now
the window where the game is comes up black, and after a few seconds it closes out
updated java but that didn't help

As for running smoother overall... that's basically what I mean
the turn start screen flickers, unit movement is choppy, etc.
Even just idle it looks like there's lag or something.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:32 pm 

kiwi wrote:
uh I can't seem to run webstart at all now
the window where the game is comes up black, and after a few seconds it closes out
updated java but that didn't help

This is happening to me as well, and if this helps, when I run it, this appears in the file ".CWlog" which appears in my documents

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:24 am 
Main Coder

Quote:
this appears in the file ".CWlog" which appears in my documents

You found the hidden log file :D
Apparently the default font has been changed. webstart should be fixed now.
units move faster, start turn screen fades the new default font is a bit larger, i'll put the smaller font back later.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:36 am 

not very well hidden, is it...

Still getting the same error, and the only difference in the log file is the date at the top

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:47 pm 
Main Coder

Forgot to upload the us version... :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:57 am 

There's a non-US version? What's the difference?

Is there any specific reason it says Tag instead of Day, Spieler instead of Player, Geld instead of Gold and Reckon instead of Recon?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:30 am 
Main Coder

the us version is hosted on http://www.customwars.com/filehost/CW2/webstart/
the eu version is hosted on my rented server http://www.kwbbz.be/Downloads/Java/versions/cw/Tests/
that's the only difference

About the language, yea that's just a language test(read from txt file @ CW2/res/data/lang) in german. Reckon instead of Recon that's a typo.
You are probably going to find more of these errors, do you mind downloading the game and make the changes yourself? You can commit or send your changes by mail.

The recon name change would be in CW2/res/plugin/default/data/units.xml
The language can be changed in res/data/config/user.properties

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:59 pm 

Are there some changes that are supposed to be there temporarily for testing purposes such as the recon having a tank cannon and the 2 move treaded rockets?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:08 pm 
Main Coder

Umm, the default plugin is just to test gameplay it's not intended to be exactly like aw1. It is not intended to look awesome either. Ideally it wouldn't contain aw graphics that was chom chom's idea.

For example when adding a 'fire flare' ability to a unit I'll give that ability to a recon because the ability needs to be tested. You can improve the default plugin so it becomes more aw like. The junit tests do not depend on the default plugin data so they won't start failing.

Something else I started on a dor plugin to see how different plugins would be handled the one in the CW2 distribution is broken(since new things ware added in CW2.jar and I didn't update the plugin) The correct version can be found @ dor plugin 1.0 it contains a neat readme :D .