It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:48 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: CWMod: Final Fantasy Tactics
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:43 pm 

Hi,
My recent java project was a Final Fantasy Tactics style game. I am about 60% done with it. I recently found your project and I love the features that are included. I was thinking of sort of merging the two projects and creating a Final Fantasy Tactics style CrapWars/CustomWars.

The differences between FFT and AdvanceWars are numerous, but the same basic idea of turn based strategy is still there.
Example modifications: Changing the tile size to a static variable (TILE_SIZE = 32;) instead of '16'. Removing fuel, unit cost, building, and removing the CO files/function.

My website is http://grimdot.com. Also, if you've heard of SlothRPG (which I doubt haha), I am the creator of it.

So to summarize, I will still develop my own FFT clone, but I'd like to also work on modifying the CW engine to support fantasy based games (ex: FFT, Disgaea, Tactics Ogre, Fire Emblem, etc).

I'm interested on feedback of this idea from both CW Devs and anyone who is following this project.

Below are some ss from my current development.

Thanks,
Lou

Post subject: Re: CWMod: Final Fantasy Tactics
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:04 am 

This is quite impressive. From what I can see, CW is rubbish by comparison. This is not to say CW isn't impressive in its own right, it's just that, for many of its developers, it was their first foray into seriously programming anything, if I remember correctly.

You should be able to find what you're looking for here, if you haven't already.

Anyway, Crap Wars is just a silly for-fun mod; Custom Wars had goals, one of the big ones was to create a customisable Advance Wars engine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:30 pm 

DiamondPheonix wrote:
Anyway, Crap Wars is just a silly for-fun mod; Custom Wars had goals, one of the big ones was to create a customisable Advance Wars engine.

I agree with DP, this is very interesting and very good. Though, It isn't really "had" and "was"... but more like "has" and "is"... We are still actively working on the project behind the scenes, I will not surrender that easily :P.

So far, the plan is for us to have a scripting based engine. In English, it means that you will never have to compile Java code for our game to work. All you'll do is make or edit text-based files and the game will automatically load those files from the folder when you run it. Custom content will not have to be compiled into the engine anymore, but instead if you can design the file, the engine will generate the content. So, the hope for a customizable game is not in the gutter.

Back on topic...

Lou, this is amazing stuff you have. Since Narts and DP are leading the modding efforts, I'll let them decide the best way to handle your request Crap Wars wise, but if you are thinking of sharing your ideas with the programmers, I am all ears. :)

JSR...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:25 am 

I would not advice using CW engine for anything, frankly it's garbage. I was only using it for AHC because I was too lazy to make my own.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:40 pm 
Main Coder

That gui looks very beautiful! You must of spend a lot of time on that :)
I especially like the status bar, all info using little space. But you can see the map tiles very clear. Most games try to hide the fact that they use tiles at all and you show them explicit why not hide them?

I read on your website that your target is android can we play the game as stand alone/webstart?
Maybe you could give the swing components another look and feel... It kinda sticks out between the rest.

About your question. I think it's difficult to make a generic cw version that supports all kind of games. Instead of trying to reuse the whole thing. It might be better to reuse at the class level. The map is the same the unit's have actions, resource management EUHM... what else? GUI is never portable between games.
Quote:
and I love the features that are included

What features are you thinking of?
Quote:
Example modifications: Changing the tile size to a static variable (TILE_SIZE = 32;) instead of '16'. Removing fuel, unit cost, building, and removing the CO files/function.

All these changes are in CW2 found @ http://code.google.com/p/customwars/
I went further and put the tile size in a config file.

Good luck with your game

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:20 am 

stef569 wrote:
I read on your website that your target is android can we play the game as stand alone/webstart?
Maybe you could give the swing components another look and feel... It kinda sticks out between the rest.

When I first started this project, it was supposed to be my first foray into Android programming. The problem was that I had never made a TBS game before, so I am making it first for the PC and then for the Android. The game will be playable via webstart and stand alone. And when it comes out on the phone, it will work with any Android 2.x OS.

Quote:
That gui looks very beautiful! You must of spend a lot of time on that :)

Thanks, haha, that's one of my problems. I spend way too much time on the GUI (sometimes I make it before I even write a line of code, thus I have to change it often). I actually re-did the GUI between my first post and this one.

Quote:
I think it's difficult to make a generic cw version that supports all kind of games.

When I first posted, I didn't know that CW2 existed, and you're absolutely right. It wouldn't be so much difficult as it would be an entirely new project due to all of the changes required at the base level. The fact that I didn't know about CW2 would answer any other questions you might have had about my post such as the "Example modifications" I brought up, since they are indeed already included in your project.

Anyway, right now I'm trying to add "levels" on an orthogonal map the same way FFTactics has levels on the isometric map and it's proving difficult :x

Good Luck with CW2 and I will keep in touch with you guys to see how you progress!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:45 pm 
Main Coder

Quote:
Thanks, haha, that's one of my problems. I spend way too much time on the GUI (sometimes I make it before I even write a line of code, thus I have to change it often). I actually re-did the GUI between my first post and this one.
Then you are quite the opposite of me, every minute I spend on graphical work I think ... I could be doing other more interesting stuff :P
Quote:
Anyway, right now I'm trying to add "levels" on an orthogonal map the same way FFTactics has levels on the isometric map and it's proving difficult :x
Do you mean by levels that for example cliffs are blocked? In case you didn't know Check out the Tiled editor it supports orthogonal maps and you can set properties like 'blocked' per tile.