All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: AHC Unplugged
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:43 pm 

yes

the best crafting involves smashing things repeatedly with a hammer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:56 pm 

Quote:
Also, on naval maps the troops being unloaded from the lander will have first strike, rather than the troops defending the shore, which doesn't seem right.

To me that's perfectly right and is one of the main reasons why I'm suggesting (or, more like announcing. It's not like anyone's opinion here is going to sway me from doing what I want. Mostly I'm looking for people to find logic holes I haven't noticed myself) this thing in the first place. Also note that transports extending infantry range is giving you an incentive to buy infantry, which is what you said you need if infantry is not the only unit capable of capture.

I want to keep every unit having the same capture rate for simplicity's sake. Less crap to memorise. I don't believe there's a problem with this (and if there is, we'll find out eventually). There are dozens of strategy games where all land units are equally good at capturing resources, so it's nothing unprecedented. Infantry and infantry-like cheap units still have their niche in these games simply because of their cheapness.

Theorycrafting is perfectly fine as long as you don't settle on it as the final truth.

The idea behind getting our own SVN, was so we wouldn't have to rely on bouncing code back and forth but could rather keep everyone synchronised at once. That would be infinitely more efficient, that is, IF we want to work on the same thing instead of just wasting effort on making twenty different mods no one plays. This of course demands that we would have to agree on some kind of command chain, or either submit to an "unbiased" decision-making scheme such as the voting booth but I guess no one wants that. DOES anyone here have the humility to agree that someone should have higher decision power than themselves? I guess not.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:06 pm 

No Narts, I am correct and my theory crafting is final >:|

It seems strange for action unload to balance infantry though, since (to me anyway, we are all independent entities here) with fixed capture what infantry really turns into either a down payment on infantry + APC combo or as an investment into a meatwall. As the game goes on infantry + APC becomes obsoleted by tanks, unless you need a lot of units to park in front of a rocket or something.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:19 pm 

That is an interesting hypothesis and we'll see if it holds any water once this is all tested.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:50 pm 

Well, if you are serious about starting a repo, I suggest that you go-for-it. I suggest you go google, it is free, and you can ask me questions if you get confused. It has been serving me very well.

Tapsi, Stef, and myself have decided the best way to code this is to make a data-driven engine, but that'll take some time to get right. This project of yours will keep the ideas flowing, which is what is important to this community. The more ideas, the merrier. I hope we'll be able to keep up with your imaginations as this progresses.

-JSR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:16 pm 

If it's indeed impossible for us to agree on anything (which I suppose is probable considering the history of CW), one project that wouldn't need much decision-making, would be finishing what we started with CW:DoR. Ironing out the bugs and implementing the missing features (which are not many) and bringing the project to some sort of completion as an online DoR simulator. There is still a sizeable demand for an "AWBW of DoR" from what I have observed from the DoR community and CW:DoR is the closest to such a thing, and is only marred by a few serious bugs. I'm not sure to what extent I could be bothered to help, but at least I could add the damage chart feature from AHC. I think it would be a nice thing to have even if every death serious professional player has already memorised the entire DoR chart.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:53 am 

http://customwars.googlecode.com/files/ ... .10.09.zip

Apex units can join their regular variants without losing their status now, thanks to Narts.

kiwi filled in some missing terrain graphics. Unfortunately, his handiwork has made rivers and straight sea tiles virtually identical in appearance.

Shock Infantry 120/100
Dragoon 130/100
Gryphon range 1~2
Chevalier x3 capture rate

No, I can't decide on what apex bombers' range should be.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:03 am 

what the hell
you nerfed my man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:31 am 

Yes. You should've seen that coming.

I seem to have forgotten to swap the rank for Shock Infantry in the Property file which handles its capture rate. So... right now they have normal captures.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:03 am 

hello I am TAKING OVER

http://customwars.googlecode.com/files/ ... .01.10.zip

hvy inf/spec ops: 2500
recon: +10 atk vs non/light armor
IFV: +10 atk vs non/light armor
a-tank: +10 atk and def across the board
a-tank: attack copters 55% damage
bships: 18000, 3-5 range

Black Ops: transport 1 infantry unit
Fenrir: 130/100 tank, 7000, 7 move, equipped with GLORY DEVICE
Dragoon: 130/80 hvy tank, 14000, 6 air move
basically super tanks have switched places

all COs: delete waiting units

new
Cassidy: 600/800pr; Black Ops, Basilisk
Amy: 800/1000pr; Dragoon, Yamato

Basilisk: 90/90 destroyer, 14000, 12 hover move
Yamato: 115/50 battleship, 18000, 6 air move, range 3~4, transport 1 air unit maybe 2 I forget

also non-ground super units can be built at bases

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:30 am 

What happens to Crap Wars now? Are you going to juggle two projects at once?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:28 am 

Not that it was ever official, but I'm relinquishing content duties of AHCU to kiwi. My plan of using a tournament to get testing results hasn't yielded many, but it was a pleasant surprise seeing it get as far as it did.

So that's that, back to business.

The Basilisk is more a Calypso with better resistances or, worse, outright immunities, although I suppose it's better than what it was before.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:50 pm 

lol these aren't projects, projects have class
also crap wars is dead according to the list of things which are dead and some things that aren't

undead is a kind of dead I guess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:04 pm 

MINI-UPDATE

http://customwars.googlecode.com/files/ ... .02.10.zip

I HAVE COME TO REALIZE THERE'S NO GOING BACK

ACTION UNLOADINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

rockets: 2 ammo
Basilisk: corvette, 8 hover move

code cleaning; all unused COs got nuked
might've broken something, go here to help make sure

I owe a pic, been busy punching out bears