It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:46 am

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Overview of all major Advance Wars Remakes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:18 am 

This is an attempt to compile a list of all CW projects. Feel free to point out any mistakes or omissions.

====
Dead
====

Custom Wars
What: A clone of AW:DS
Who: programmed mainly by MoogleGunner, urusan and Captain Vimes
Where: here

Custom Wars: Black Dawn
What: A DoR/DC mod of the original CW
Who: Kosheh, Captain Vimes, Narts, St Johnston

Ad Hoc Wars
What: A mod of CW attempting to make the game deterministic
Who: Narts
Where: (Link will appear here when I find it)

Ad Hoc Commander Unplugged
What: A mod of AHC
Who: Narts, kiwi, DiamondPheonix

Crap Wars
What: A mod of CW with ridiculous changes, such as megatanks which can climb mountains
Who: kiwi, DiamondPheonix

MiniWars
What: Another clone of AW, completely independent of CW
Who: Tapsi

Tactic Wars
What: A combined effort between Tapsi, stef and JSR, (assumptions start here) but stopped due to a disagreement with stef, who then returned to CW2 on his own, while JSR and Tapsi split off to create Custom Wars: Tactics
Who: Tapsi, stef, JSR
Where: here (not for long, it's scheduled for deletion)

===============
Still in Development
===============

Ad Hoc Commander
What: A more refined continuation of Ad Hoc Wars
Who: Narts

Custom Wars 2
What: A remake of CW, focussed more on being customised easily
Who: Originally chom-chom, JakeSamiRulz and stef, now just stef
Where: here and here

Custom Wars: Tactics
What: An effort to create an open engine to emulate the gaming experience of the AW series
Who: JSR, Tapsi

Last edited by St Johnston on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Overview of all major Advance Wars Remakes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:13 am 

crap wars should be listed under the zombie tab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:05 am 

The determinism mod was called "Ad Hoc Wars", and you omitted Ad Hoc Commander from the second list.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:19 am 

I can't find the topic for the original AHW, if somebody else can, post a link so I can add it to the first post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:09 am 

dunno lol

But this would be a good topic to sticky.

Not that it has any danger of falling out of page but hey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:33 am 

In Development:

Cremelian Wars
"A fully featured TBS game."
While not an exact Advance Wars remake, the author has claimed that the AW series is a major influence. Currently looking for artists and writers on AWN. Appears to be written in Java but runs in a web browser.
Also on google code.

Retired:

Ad Hoc Wars
At one point the proposed replacement or demo or something for CW1, a streamlined and deterministic game. Eventually served as the basis for the Commander series.
Various art.
Writings.
Balance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:22 am 

Quote:
Cremelian Wars

If we're including stuff that isn't based on or related to Custom Wars then how about AWBW? Empire Allegro / Trichromic? Weewar?

Also, the purpose of Ad Hoc Wars was to be a simple game based entirely on free content that could be used as the default game for CW2 (or whatever we called the successor to the CW1 engine back then). The "free content" part was never fully realised though, due to laziness of the graphic artists working on the project, so it ended up just "content-free".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:37 am 

I've not heard of those.

Compiling a list of games based on or similar to AW instead of just CW may be too broad, I guess. On the other hand, I never have seen a such a list.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:48 am 

You seriously have not heard of AWBW?

Trichromic I believe I have mentioned many times on this board. Empire Allegro is its precursor that actually resembles Advance Wars.

Weewar is only barely related to AW, but the influence cannot be denied.

Oh and then there's Steam Weavers. Some kind of steampunk-themed AW wannabe based on Facebook.

Then there are all those fully commercial AW type games, both predating and postdating Advance Wars 1. I don't think we need to go to those. Or do we?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:04 am 

In development:

Advance Wars: Cycle of Destruction
A hodgepodge of AWDS and AWDoR, from the looks of it. Tentative release in February 2010.

So... yeah, what counts as "dead" and not?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:19 am 
Main Coder

Quote:
(assumptions start here) but stopped due to a disagreement with stef, who then returned to CW2 on his own, while JSR and Tapsi split off to create Custom Wars: Tactics

That's right, as for the disagreement I had a delay before my first commit and I proposed to many new ideas... in my eye's improvements but it was not a big deal, we share Idea's/problems now.

Custom Wars 2 Is also attempting to have clean code(promote reuse. No hax, No duplication, No chats in the comments etc...)
I think these are the key points why a new project emerges every few years. They like the game come here view the src and then say I can do better. But then cw1 contains so much complexity/functionality... they never finish their project. It's really an impressive achievement. I hope one day cw2 has all the functionality. :hit:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:26 pm 

what's the point of rewriting the whole thing anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:58 am 
Main Coder

I'll try to reply for all the people that ever started rewriting customwars. First there are a couple of software best practice violations: Duplication, very large classes, data inside classes, naming issues, mixing of responsibility(network code in the gui). Hardcoded values(there can only be 10 armies?) this makes it harder to change things. I think there is a topic somewhere that has more.Attempts have been made to reuse and improve customwars back in the days when chom_chom was at the helm but it failed we added more bugs when refactoring then we could add features. see http://code.google.com/p/customwars/sou ... #v1/client so it came natural to start from scratch. I'm going to stop bashing the original code now. In short: It's there it works I wanted to improve it it was to hard started my own. My personal reasons are that I like to model the aw game (unit, city, map, etc) all the rest kinda came with it(gui). Does that answer your question? :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:01 am 

ok

so what are the other guys doing?

because
"A remake of CW, focussed more on being customised easily"
and
"An effort to create an open engine to emulate the gaming experience of the AW series"
are vague

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:09 pm 

Ok, lemme clear this all up. We have 2 remakes of the engine going on... I'll try to explain both, and the purpose.

CW2 was first made to be an exact replica of cw1. So it will use the cw1 server and attempt to follow cw1 as close as possible. But, the amount of problems that cw1 had in the past is just... yeah. So, this remake will attempt to solve the old problems of cw1 and make a few aspects of it customizable. The code should also be a lot more readable with Stef leading the helm.

CWT is like cw2... just that Tapsi and I decided to expand on the customizable aspect more than before. There is a lot planned for this engine like AI, a reinvented damage system, and a whole new server system using an IRC channel instead of the server. Tapsi is going all out on this, and so am I to try and reinvent CW to support a wider variety of customization.

But, you are probably wondering... what is the point.

At first, we wanted to combine our three minds together into one project. However, the more minds you set to a goal, the more complicated the problems become. Sacrifice is the name of the game, and that turns out to be the hardest thing of all to do.

The main reason for the split was a disagreement between us coders. We couldn't reuse huge fragments of CW2 to make Tactic Wars, because I changed the base for the program from Java 1.6 to Java 1.5. Also, we couldn't decide whose code would be better for the main project, who works on what, and how best to use the repository. I wanted to make an engine that'll run on all platforms and consoles that have Java and/or Java emulators. CW2 as it stands is written in Java 1.6. CWT is written in Java 1.5.

I guarantee that CWT will run virtually everywhere, but CW2 only will run on computers that can accept Java 1.6. It is hard to let go of old work, and hit the "reset" button. So since Stef wrote a huge chunk of CW2, he decided to continue it. I have no problem with that decision.

CW2 is going to be the new cw1.
CWT plans to reinvent CW entirely.

I am putting all my energy and focus into CWT, but I don't see these 2 programs as competition. Instead, I see them as an option for the users. I hope this is enough to quell the confusion.

JSR
CW Programming Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:34 am 

We should rename this site to Confusion Wars to make everything absolutely clear.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:56 pm 

I agree, because I don't know which one I'd like to focus on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 pm 

Kiwi refuses to admit that Crap Wars is a project so unless you're a programmer (in which case CW2 and CWT might need you), Ad Hoc Commander is the only thing that you can focus on unless you want to start your own project. I'm not sure what you could do for AHC (a lot depends on your abilities and interests), but you could start by downloading it, playing it and simply stating your opinion about it - user feedback is something I can always use.

And of course, testing CW2 is worthwhile too, as it could become the platform for AHC in future, as well as being a pretty cool AW simulator in its own right.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:37 pm 

Hi. I was looking for the Custom Wars soundtrack, followed the appropriate links, and got denied access. Do any of the remaining souls here have a link to the soundtrack for me?

CO Jay - Currently stuck on ideas. Comments and suggestions welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:19 am 

Actually, I stored all the Custom Wars Soundtrack in both .ogg and .mp3 in the redo of the project my friend and I have been working on. You guys have access to it through downloading the source. You can find it below...

Custom Wars Tactics Repository
Custom Wars Tactics Repository - Music

We also have all the images and old versions of the files upon request. Keep an eye on the updates of this project because we are getting close to needing all the artists, musicians, and story tellers that made the old CW so great.