It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:17 am

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Tagging Replacement: XO Powers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:04 am 

In real life, a Commanding Officer (CO) often has an Executive Officer (XO) who assists them in various ways. AWDS already has, via the Force Rank mechanic, a way for the CO in back to boost the CO up front: the synergy forces. This gave me an idea: what if, instead of Tags, we had the second CO be an XO to the first? This XO would provide part of their day-to-day and CO power buffs to the CO, as well as a portion of their weaknesses.

The system I have in mind for determining what someone's XO boost is works like this: If they only have one buff or penalty, they give half of it to the CO. If they have multiple buffs or penalties, they only give half of their buffs, but one or more may be full. So if a CO playing XO would normally have 2 buffs, they just give one of them in full; if they have 3, they give one in full and one in half.

For example, let's say you have Kanbei as the CO with Hachi as his XO. Hachi only has one d2d boost, so he gives half of that to Kanbei. So Kanbei's d2d unit costs are now at +15% instead of +20%. Hachi's COP gives only one boost as well, which is a further 40% cut to costs; chop that in half. Kanbei now gets units at -5% costs during COP. Hachi has 2 buffs during SCOP, so he gets to give Kanbei one of these in full. Let's say he just gives the discount. Kanbei now gets units at -25% costs during SCOP.

Now let's reverse it: Hachi is the CO, Kanbei is the XO. Kanbei has two buffs and one penalty d2d. He gives his defense buff and half of his price increase to Hachi. So now Hachi has normal unit prices, but +20% defense. Kanbei's COP only has one buff, +40% offense. Cut it in half: Hachi now gets +20% offense on COP. Kanbei gives 3 buffs during SCOP. One of these is given in full: the +40% defense, giving Hachi a total of +60% defense on SCOP. Another is given in half: the +20% offense again.

Some COs have boosts that can't really be cut in half, such as Adder's +1 movement on COP. These are simply kept at their full value instead.

Some combos will be completely pointless, like Koal being an XO to Adder providing his road boosts (and not even the full boost d2d). Oh well. :mrgreen:

The vast majority of combos will be quite overpowered. Well, since when has this game ever cared about balance, eh?

Questions? Comments? Concerns? I'm most interested in knowing if anyone would want me to make a full XO list.

"Bunny-cat is a dick."
~SF Debris, on Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

"It's like they took everything you shouldn't put into a movie... and made a show out of it."
~JakeSamiRulz, on Boku no Pico.

My blog.
My YouTube channel.

Post subject: Re: Tagging Replacement: XO Powers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:15 pm 

The idea is not bad, MaraSargon.

Though, when you are facing CO on CO, I can feel where this would be tilted in the favor of the CO who has an OX rather than ones who don't. If it was a required play style, it would add a bit more variety to the franchise.

As far as I see it now, isn't it just giving 1/2 of stats rounded up to main CO. What I'm curious about is how this'll affect weather conditions. If you have Olaf as an auxilary to Drake for instance. I am curious enough about this mode for you to create a list and programatically speaking, it is peanuts to implement given the system we have set up. If anything, if you write up a solid chart either here or in the CW wiki. I would be happy to see how this mode would play out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:25 am 

JakeSamiRulz wrote:
The idea is not bad, MaraSargon.

Though, when you are facing CO on CO, I can feel where this would be tilted in the favor of the CO who has an OX rather than ones who don't. If it was a required play style, it would add a bit more variety to the franchise.

As far as I see it now, isn't it just giving 1/2 of stats rounded up to main CO. What I'm curious about is how this'll affect weather conditions. If you have Olaf as an auxilary to Drake for instance. I am curious enough about this mode for you to create a list and programatically speaking, it is peanuts to implement given the system we have set up. If anything, if you write up a solid chart either here or in the CW wiki. I would be happy to see how this mode would play out.

I'll post it here before I add it to my Dual Strike 2.0 page.

"Bunny-cat is a dick."

"It's like they took everything you shouldn't put into a movie... and made a show out of it."

My blog.
My YouTube channel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:48 am 

The full list is now available on the Dual Strike 2.0 page.

https://code.google.com/p/cwtactics/wiki/PathosWars

"Bunny-cat is a dick."

My blog.
My YouTube channel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:47 pm 

Thanks Mara. We def. cover it.

Nice concept! :mrgreen: