I prefer the AW1 AI...

Is there an APC within range?
If yes -> Attack APC

<_<

>_>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:31 am 

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: It's highly unlikely. The rom's AI isn't in Java, so we wouldn't be able to alter it. It's also highly unlikely that we could get it to send commands to CW. I don't know enough about the rom to say for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:42 am 

Location: I'd put something clever here, but you'd expect that
damn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:23 pm 

what is the rom programmed in?

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I'm still a LUEser (at heart) and proud of it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:10 pm 

I'm not sure, but it can't be in Java. The GBA doesn't have a Java Virtual Machine (that would be insane).

It's probably in a proprietary language used to develop for the GBA.

Not only that, but almost certainly the sources aren't available to the public, which means that the instructions in the rom are in machine code (a GBA specific machine code no less).

Writing a new AI from scratch would be easier and better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:08 pm 

Location: I'd put something clever here, but you'd expect that
well if it's easier, then all right
as for "better", somehow I doubt that
but beggers can't be choosers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:16 pm 

It would be better because we could adapt it to CW. AW2's AI would never use any AWDS or CW units.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:49 am 

*random*
urusan wrote:
I'm not sure, but it can't be in Java. The GBA doesn't have a Java Virtual Machine (that would be insane).

It's probably in a proprietary language used to develop for the GBA.

Not only that, but almost certainly the sources aren't available to the public, which means that the instructions in the rom are in machine code (a GBA specific machine code no less).

Writing a new AI from scratch would be easier and better.

I'm not Xen, but I'm certain that homebrew GBA games are programmed in C. I would think there would be something that could decompile machine code -> original code?

I mean, it's not entirely written out in Java or anything, but if we were suddenly able to acquire the AI; it'd be easier to look through it; and...possibly make it into flowcharts of some sort. Once we have flowcharts compiled, I'm sure at that point we could just have some guy covert that AI flowchart to Java.

In my opinion, maybe it's because I'm not a programmer, it doesn't seem that hard to put together the AI if we've got a plan to go about it. The two hardest parts (pretty much the basic parts) are

1) Putting together AI flowcharts
2) Writing out the programming into Java

If we we able to somehow acquire the C code, I mean...
there's got to be some way to reverse-engineer from GBA -> C code. That would save us a lot of time on step 1.
Slightly related: I found a college student programmer, actually who did a little research and made UML diagrams of the AI state for Advance Wars (when to idle, what to check for, not the entire flowcharts) I'm not sure if we can just go ask him "hey can we use ur code n ask you 2 elaborate on it lol", but I don't want to steal his UML chart. <_<

...I love talking like I know what I'm talking about despite the fact that I'm totaly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:49 am 

There is no way to decompile from machine code to original code. That information is discarded in the compilation process. It's completely impossible.

The best that a decompiler can manage is converting from machine code into assembly. Assembly is machine dependant, and in this case it would use whatever assembly code the GBA uses.

Also, from what I've heard, even decompiling to assembly is very difficult. However, I don't know for sure since I've never done so myself.

If it were possible to decompile, people would be stealing code left and right. Why write your own code when you can copy commercial quality code?

You can certainly take hints from the AW AI, but only by looking at its in-game behavior, not by looking at its code (which is unavailable unless you can get IS to agree to give it to us).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:32 pm 

um don't want to get your hopes up, but my mates done a masters (and bachelors) in AI... so he might be willing to do it for you, or at the very least provide you with some research papers explaining it to anyone willing to wade through university level and up research, i'm gonna play a few games against him to teach him the general gameplay mechanics and stuff, so yeh, who knows