It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: The DS AI
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:29 am 

The DS AI is fairly good, but it doesn't explain it's modes very well. For instance, what is the difference between Strike and Assualt?

Anyone know the specifics? Or, at least, generalities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:43 am 

Assault is generally offensive, while Strike is willing to send the entire army through a long choke point guarded by 10 rockets to reach the enemy.

Defensive is like Hawke's AI in Snow Hunters, as far as I've observed. That is, extremely skittish about attack ranges, especially those of indirects.

Now, the difference between General and Assault is what I'm wondering about.

"Golly great geishas, Kanbei! The enemy's advancing like mold on bread!" ~Kosheh
Indeed. The fact I actually know someone who wrote Sailor Moon Cannibal Slash proves this point. ~Xenesis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:04 am 

Ah. So Strike is Super-(stupid)-Offensive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:32 am 

Location: I'd put something clever here, but you'd expect that
I've been experimenting this myself.

Strike is only helpful when you have to have the AI take down those floating fortresses in the campaign, otherwise it's just a suicidal retard.

General isn't too effective, it makes infantry + APCS/t-copters/black boats well after the capturing phase, causing it to lose quickly because its reinforcements... aren't there.

Defesive is interesting. It's the AI at its best, in a way. I think you should use this AI option as basis for your programming, because it's intelligent, but it needs work. This AI will eventually lose because it's TOO defensive, you'll always outfund it and eventually overpower it. But it puts up a good fight.

Assault is all right. It uses terrain when it attacks usually, which is good. It isn't good at meatshielding like defensive is, so it's easy to puncture a whole through the frontlines and just crush it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:32 am 

Yeah. This is kinda how it works:

Strike - Try to completely overwhelm through a mass rush of units.

Assault - Agressive, yet smart play.

General - Basically the "smartest" choice. Offensive or defensive when the time calls for it.

Defensive - Basically, take no risks. Just try to keep your units alive. Only attack when you have a significant advantage.

At least, that was the impression I always got from the 4 personalities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:48 am 

Defensive normally performs better than General overall. Even with defensive on, the AI still takes stupid risks sometimes. >_> It only cuts down on the stupid risks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:06 am 

Well, I think strike will be easy to program, so I'll start with that algorithm first :P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:59 pm 

From playtesting in the campaign maps, I've found Strike AI to basically attack anything with anything. This even means infantry attacking megas...

It can have the most devistating effect early on as the AI brings everything for you in a mad rush, but then when it gets wittled down it's crap coz like I say, it attacks megas with infantry XD

Another thing is that it seems to take priority of costly units over captures, for example an AAir attacked a bomber of mine rather than save it's base I was capturing.

And they tend to completely ignore their HQ for the battle, until someone starts to capture it, but by then it's too late.

Good for certain campaign maps, not good for vs play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:13 am 

Attacking Megas with inf is cost effectively a good choice. If they average .5 of a damage, and .5 of a mega is worth 1400, you'll be making about 400g profit each time. Of course, you lose a meatshield and capturing unit, so it's not really worth it in the long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:06 am 

.5 damage of a mega is 140G, it's not cost effective to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:32 am 

Uh, no. Xaif, you're missing a zero.

28000 * 0.05 = 1400.

Mooglegunner wrote:
Seriously, if there's an American in College who isn't on when you are, they're not working hard enough, or Liberal Arts Majors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:37 am 

It's still not practical to do it most of the time with a CO of average luck. Dealing 1/2 a damage is equal to no damage half of the time since it only kicks in once a full big HP is knocked off. It would take two suicidal infantry to deal 2800G. However, adding terrain or whatnot increases this to more infantry, and suiciding infantry results in less meatshields. I would say this is a poor decision most of the time unless you're using a CO like Flak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:40 am 

I thought Babs was talking about the 100HP system as infantry deal 1% damage. Never mind then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:39 am 

Nobody wrote:
It's still not practical to do it most of the time with a CO of average luck. Dealing 1/2 a damage is equal to no damage half of the time since it only kicks in once a full big HP is knocked off. It would take two suicidal infantry to deal 2800G. However, adding terrain or whatnot increases this to more infantry, and suiciding infantry results in less meatshields. I would say this is a poor decision most of the time unless you're using a CO like Flak.

Especially since a Mega usually has an APC around, which I think can heal that partial damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:17 am 

Uh...APC's can't heal damage. And we're talking in terms of monetary damage anyways, so healing doesn't really affect that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:33 pm 

Only Properties and black boats heal partial damage.

Mooglegunner wrote:
Seriously, if there's an American in College who isn't on when you are, they're not working hard enough, or Liberal Arts Majors.