It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:10 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: World Map
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:01 am 

Ok, I mentioned it in Lego's topic, but I think it's worth making a topic over.

What's up with the AW Map?

There's the three continents and the main countries have territory in each. Where is each continent in relation to each other and how are the countries positioned in relation to other countries within the continents?

Getting a map will be needed for any coherent planning, IMO, so that we can keep straight who's where for alliances and whatnot. For instance, JC is near GE... but which continent of GE? AC is a rebellion out of YC. Which continent? And so on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:44 am 

Ok, I've whipped something up to get the ball rolling, but it's gonna be incredibly difficult to get everything to match perfectly with each continent, mainly because I assume IS designed them independantly and had no cross over of things. We've had this in the past, although I forget who did it :S

AC is rather large, and for it not to be included in AW2 would seem odd as it springs out of nowhere. And it's meant to be a part of YC, so that doesn't really fit. JC is miles away from GE, and it would be difficult for the country to have stayed out of the wars and kept themselves to themselves if they are in such close proximity of OS and BM. Then there's PG, which is apparently a break off from BH, but it's on the other side of the world. In all, this map may have fitted in the past, but now it doesn't really fit our current story.

So, onto this map:

First with Omega Land, I've divided it into what I think it was roughly in AWDS. OS obviously controlled the central island and then BM the area it does as the COs comment on the cold weather. YC I'm unsure about, so I gave them a couple of small islands, and then the rest GE, where you meet Jess and Javier. The left side of Omega Land I have no idea, OS would probably be best suited.

Now, I attached Macro Land to the bottom of Omega Land, and made the BH section overlap with a partial section of OL. This could work, we've established that BH owned that island in AW2, and the continents need to transistion somewhere, doing it this way gives BH adequate land. OS works in layout, as does BM near enough and YC's joins onto those 2 small island I gave them, of which I have also extended their archipegalo. AC need to be a part of existing YC, so I've shaded a little section orange. They also need to be near BH/PG as they have a somewhat alliance with them, if they were over the other side of the world it wouldn't really be that believable. I'll come to PG later. GE is the one that is least connected, but due to its positioning, there isn't any other way to line up OL and ML to get as many countries together as possible, I think 4 out of the original 5 is good enough.

Then there's Cosmo Land, which I've had to rotate. The main goal here was to extend YC's archipegalo, and that has resulted in a nice cresent shape. Ontop of that, it's worked out well for GE aswell because their OL territory is adjacent now to their ML. I've added on ML again in the bottom corner to show where it could line up if we go for a 3D global map, or if not, just keeping it 2D. All of the OS territory in the 3 lands is in a clump together, BM's is in a curved line-ish shape, but they're not that far from one another and is feasable. YC's is perfect TBH, they have a nice archipegalo of islands that curves around GE's ML territory. GE is fine, CL and OL are perfect, and it's ML stuff is a bit isolated, but there we go. However some of GE from CL is chopped off coz I couldn't find the full image. And BH's there too, who start out with a good sized island.

AC seem catered for aswell. JC aren't and there isn't really much room apart from next to GE's ML island, however this is a really good spot for JC as they are pretty much cut off from the other nations, and GE's ML is a bit isolated too. Perfect for their alliance to form and also believable that they weren't invloved in any wars yet.

PG apparently break off from BH, so if a small colony was formed in BH, they could attack BM's OL. BM get kicked out of OL according to their story, so it would be thematic if PG took over that, and BM OL became PG's homeland. That means BH and PG are in the middle and can attack all of the nations except for JC easily. That'll have to be worked out as they are in ruins from PGs attacks, but that can be done later I guess :P

Anyway, there's one way it could potentially work as a starting point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:19 am 

BM's kinda screwed with that map. All three parts are rather divided...

Anyway, I think something along those lines would work. If that's the case, then AC would probably work well as one of the middle islands in YC. It's a strategic location, which is why YC doesn't want to give it up. And it gives them a nice platform to launch attacks at BM from.

Either that or have it be on the south-west side of YC and launch attacks at the AW2 BM area...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:39 am 

Solution to map problems: Just assume each section is a different continent. I say take the first map, and slide the omegaland and cosmo land maps to the side of it. Without any of the rotations or anything.

Why does YC have to be in one location? Why can't we just assume that Omega and Cosmo Land are colonial areas, and since RC and AC only recently came into power, they have none?

Quote:
[19:46] Shane: Jim Morrison is hot

S= -.03 (V-21)^2 +12
Where S is Helen's score and V is votes cast.
A vote for Dark Matter is a vote for Fecal Matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:48 am 

We'd still need to figure out where each continent was in relation to the others...

But yeah. That's one of my options. AC was a colonial area od YC on one of the other continents. It revolted, and decided to be it's own country. Since the other YC parts far away, they were able to establish defenses before YC came to try and quell them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:52 am 

From west to east:

Macro Land
Cosmo Land
Omega Land

Quote:
[19:46] Shane: Jim Morrison is hot

S= -.03 (V-21)^2 +12
Where S is Helen's score and V is votes cast.
A vote for Dark Matter is a vote for Fecal Matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:53 am 

ThrawnFett wrote:
BM's kinda screwed with that map. All three parts are rather divided...

BM's kinda screwed in the storyline. :D

It makes sense to me. Since their apparent head commander (Olaf) is obsesssed with land, it would only make sense for them to be spread rather thin. It's the BM Macro Land area that gets taken, actually, but Omega Land works as being taken as well, since they have to leave and entrust it to the other nations (where it would likely get overrun). And it didn't really appear until the last sixth...

Silifi wrote:
Solution to map problems: Just assume each section is a different continent. I say take the first map, and slide the omegaland and cosmo land maps to the side of it. Without any of the rotations or anything.

That's another good option, especially seeing as in AW1, there was a compass of sorts pointing north...

Although I did assume in my map that Cosmo Land was actually north of Macro Land, with BH's island in AW1 being next to BH's island in AW2. I'd post it, but I won't have access to my home computer today...

And Omega Land would either be east or west.

"Golly great geishas, Kanbei! The enemy's advancing like mold on bread!" ~Kosheh
Indeed. The fact I actually know someone who wrote Sailor Moon Cannibal Slash proves this point. ~Xenesis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:33 am 

Xaif, can you give me copies of the original 3 maps to work with? I have an idea I want to work with.