It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:15 am 

Is there a guide to all the terms used here... I've played a -lot- of advance wars DS (by my standards) and now have the CWars game which seems pretty cool remake.
Anyway what's up with the threads on suggesting CO's... can people suggest CO's or is there actually an easy to use way of making your own?

I was wondering if a CO based around being able to use units on the same day as they get built would work, would be a massive advantage on smaller maps but not really all that great on large maps...

or perhaps have a CO who can have an extra option for units of 'meditate' so as to instead of waiting, if an infantry or something hasn't moved - it can choose to meditate to increase CO meter...

things I don't appear to understand; I didn't realise having a full CO meter increases your units power? does that mean it can be a good idea to simply not use your super powers for the firepower bonuses inherent in a full meter or?

ps, hello.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:06 am 

sup sun god
Welcome to CW! I'm kosheh :3

Gimme like 5 minutes, since you asked a lot of questions, but I've got answers to like

all of them actually rofl

king raa wrote:
Is there a guide to all the terms used here... I've played a -lot- of advance wars DS (by my standards) and now have the CWars game which seems pretty cool remake.
Anyway what's up with the threads on suggesting CO's... can people suggest CO's or is there actually an easy to use way of making your own?

1) I know what you mean; there's a few terms that like, someone from most AW communities wouldn't see unless you have a real stickler at your forum; but the most basic (and common ones) you'll see regarding balance are

under/overpowered: "Underpowered", basically, if you're working on a CO's abilities and you're drafting up a power bar for them the bar is measured in "stars". For example, Jake's bar is :smallstar: :smallstar: :smallstar: :bigstar: :bigstar: :bigstar:
If the attack is considered too weak for its "price", it's considered to be underpowered. If you stuff too many abilities and it's too powerful for that "price", it's considered overpowered. If the power is very overpowered (for example, Colin's "Power of Money" can be abused if one possesses enough funds ingame, this is considered "broken".
Usually people who wander the forum who are familiar with balancing ideas will say that "a broken or overpowered CO is better than an underpowered one" because with overpowered ideas, you can probably just lower some of the numbers you used and it's "balanced" - fair.
Other terms you'll see regarding to the gameplay itself include:

choke, chokepoint - On some maps you'll have that bridge area, which is only 1 tile of land and it's difficult to pass through. If the game begins to focus on this area, it'll appear "congested" and thus you're "choking" this area up. Eric, one of our CCOs, is designed to break through these chokepoints, using silo-type missiles and...something else lol

meatshield - when you build that bunch of enemies to protect your more valuable units. For example, if I have a few indirect units like artilleries and rockets, I'll want to protect this with something like infantry so they're not exposed to, say, a tank sneaking in and destroying the indirect unit.

spam - to continuously build a cheap-priced unit for some...reason <_<; The spamming of infantry isn't uncommon in some games; in fact, it's a useful tactic though frowned upon by some people. It's a quick way to build up your power meter, which at that point the player will amass a ton of more powerful units and pretty much shred through once they initiate whatever power helps them in that situation.
2) You can go to the "Custom COs" board [not the "Official CCOs"; that's where the ideas voted in go] if you wish to post ideas.

I should make a "welcome new people" hotspot thread or something <_<

king raa wrote:
I was wondering if a CO based around being able to use units on the same day as they get built would work, would be a massive advantage on smaller maps but not really all that great on large maps...

lol, not for a D2D skill; but a power based on that might work - however, I think Edward has this already. Not the end of the world or anything, just throw other abilities with it that'll distinguish it from other COs.
However, as crippling as it might sound, I wonder if this would work if the he only generated 800 G from properties that turn...[/quote]

king raa wrote:
or perhaps have a CO who can have an extra option for units of 'meditate' so as to instead of waiting, if an infantry or something hasn't moved - it can choose to meditate to increase CO meter...

lol meditation
Fr. Gregory did that. I'd advise that you don't as it, first of all, would be tough to program a new menu option for just one CO, and two, it would probably complicate things for the player too, as you've got better things to do with infantry, like capture cities and clog up chokes on a map. XD

king raa wrote:
things I don't appear to understand; I didn't realise having a full CO meter increases your units power? does that mean it can be a good idea to simply not use your super powers for the firepower bonuses inherent in a full meter or?

holy spoof i never knew it did that, I don't...think it does <_< Usually, with a power this comes along as the "default boost" but that means you have to initiate the power first.
However, I approve of any CO that has this in their D2D. u_u

king raa wrote:
ps, hello.

hay there oh wait i already said hi ('A`)

enjoy your stay anyway, it's awesome and not only that, it's sunny here when there are rainy days :0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:24 am 

Greetings!

Stay a while and listen...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:36 am 

Hello. I am the resident psychotic.

A conversation I just had wrote:
ME: Tweek, you need professional help.
TWEEK: I AM professional help.

I stumbled across a ceremonial mask from Bali. It's made of painted wood and horse hair and is in the exaggerated likeness of a human skull. It now hangs on the wall next to my bed. I call him Gary. He gives me nightmares.

Bolt Storm wrote:
BY THE TRANSITIVE PROPERTY WHEREIN IF A = B AND B = C THEN A = C, WE HAVE PROVEN THAT FREEDOM IS A CONFESSION OF RETARDISM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:13 am 

kosheh wrote:
I should make a "welcome new people" hotspot thread or something <_<

Go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:51 am 

woah, koshi.

post that, like, everytime someone shows up XD

CCO Kaori & Kaoru
Motoko siggie stolen from sylvia liu ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:55 am 

@kosh: utilize notepad. >.>

@OP:
Hello there. This be CW.
Stick around and watch the action.

finally, @CW:
I got reservations for us all to go to this new fancy restaurant. For some reason they call it Hell...
Oh well, tonight...

WE DINE IN HELL!!!!
(That's right! Spot the reference!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:32 am 

Location: I'd put something clever here, but you'd expect that
Do everything I say and you'll go places

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:52 am 

Deoxy Knight wrote:
Do everything I say and you'll go places

I tried that months ago.
The best I got was 5 feet to the left. D:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:56 am 

i'm under the impression that you are well knowen in some other AW community. With that said I have my respect for you. I hope you post more.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I'm still a LUEser (at heart) and proud of it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:03 pm 

Ubergeneral wrote:
i'm under the impression that you are well knowen in some other AW community. With that said I have my respect for you. I hope you post more.

Agreed.

Welcome, King Raa.
Thank you for coming. But watch your back, some people here are crazy.. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:10 pm 

Hello! I'm the Mexican resident here. Take your time to get used to stuff.
Welcome to CW, man. Just make sure you watch your back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:30 am 

Hey.
I'm one of the two resident Muslims (the other's Treed) and I'm Indian Asian.

Nice to meet you!

Miss: Pain
Violence = Leading cause of death in this country = illegal = fine and dandy. Pg-13, R if it's really bad.
Sex = leading cause of life in this country = natural and perfectly legal biological process = OMG TEH NOES XXX!11!!! ---Someone at some forum, I forget
"If you have made mistakes. . . there is always another chance for you. . . You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down but the staying down." -- Mary Pickford

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:03 am 

Goodbye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:34 am 

and you are announcing your nationality why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:38 am 

Technically you're announcing your nationality with every post you make... with that little bit saying "location". :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:42 am 

Three-Headed-Monkey wrote:
Greetings!

Stay a while and listen...

Go to bed, Mr. Cain.

D:<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:44 am 

hey we dont judge people based on race or nationality here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:25 am 

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4305 ... oootm6.png

what about species? can i prejudge you as being covered in hair, with a tendency to do whatever it is whatever type of rodent that is does ... ;)

i already posted in the correct place. but anyone want a game? or how do these official campaign things read... i'll go read their guides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:03 am 

king raa wrote:
Technically you're announcing your nationality with every post you make... with that little bit saying "location". :)

touché, my liege.

so tell me, do you have the head of a bird?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:21 am 

king raa wrote:
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4305/wooooooootm6.png

what about species? can i prejudge you as being covered in hair, with a tendency to do whatever it is whatever type of rodent that is does ... ;)

Actually, prejudging isn't ignorant at all, because- OH WAIT NO LOGIC ALLOWED IT'S POLITICALLY INCORRECT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:33 pm 

Eskimo wrote:
king raa wrote:

touché, my liege.

so tell me, do you have the head of a bird?

I do, okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:31 pm 

Waitaminute. You all are moving in on my territory. I AM THE INSANE ONE HERE. GO BACK TO YOUR SANE, BORING LIVES. And for heaven's sake Frost change your avatar back.

I stumbled across a ceremonial mask from Bali. It's made of painted wood and horse hair and is in the exaggerated likeness of a human skull. It now hangs on the wall next to my bed. I call him Gary. He gives me nightmares.

Bolt Storm wrote:
BY THE TRANSITIVE PROPERTY WHEREIN IF A = B AND B = C THEN A = C, WE HAVE PROVEN THAT FREEDOM IS A CONFESSION OF RETARDISM.