It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:46 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Returns from the grave
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:24 am 

i decided to check out to see how this game is going, so what's new.

Post subject: Re: Returns from the grave
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:40 am 

Welcome back from the grave... Mods is what's going on at the moment and CW2... check the Information Center for more info...

JSR...

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:45 am 

thanks for the reply, ya i saw the mods, it seems to me that CW has started to die out after i left.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:54 pm 

You should have seen this place six months ago. Compared to that the place is bustling with activity. Whatever is happening here, it's gaining momentum and I think the future holds some interesting promise indeed. Although it would be misleading to say "Custom Wars is back", since this place is quite different than what it used to be.

The main thing I guess that has happened is that we realised cramming everything into a single game is pretty stupid and it's wiser to utilise the host of ideas by putting them into separate mods, which pretty much solves the conflicts between the different design philosophies that were constantly at war in the old CW.

Now it seems we have three different forms of Custom Wars co-existing peacefully: The "let's add truckloads of ridiculous but fun stuff Custom Wars" - Crap Wars, the "balanced abstract strategy game Custom Wars" - Ad Hoc Commander, and the "realistic wargame Custom Wars" - Moustache Krieg. In contrast, the old Custom Wars was being developed by people whose interests shifted individually between various levels of these three approaches which kind of made the project look like a dog trying to bite its own arse off. Guess what, eventually it did.

"Custom Wars" doesn't so much mean "Advance Wars with custom content" anymore, but rather "custom games that are more or less similar to Advance Wars".