It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:30 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Custom Wars Tactics =)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:34 am 

Hello All ,

it's a long time since MW and CW fused into CWT and sadly I must recognize that stef dropped development on CW2.
Because JS and me want to realize our dream to make a pc advance wars we will complete CWT, no rumors about exist it or not.
IMHO you all can expect it in two months, because we have big changes on it and it will be a real customize able game as we all wanted it from MW and CW2.

For all left CW users, I hope you will test the betas of CWT and will spread out it over your contacts. I know it will hard , because AW is not such public as in the past and the can only be reborn if we spread it out globally :D

Well another thing is, if someone of you have ideas for logic , please please tell us =)
We're making not a AWDS mod as standard modification, we're going to make an own, means we can leave the work to make a AWDS mod by you the community.

Thats all so far, if you want a development diary here in the forum please tell me that here and I will publish it ^^

Greets Tapsi

Post subject: Re: Custom Wars Tactics =)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:29 pm 

hey dude you're not dead

yeah a dev diary something would be nice, the old devs used to tell us whenever they went to the bathroom; respectfully, you're kinda quiet, just a heads up every once in a while like 50% to release, working on this for next release, next release is aiming to be due this date, etc.

only other thing I gotta add is CWhatever has to be powerful and easy to use; CW1 was all kinds of power but not easy to use

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:25 pm 

Yeah cool , I will upload a diary topic =D

CWT logic and model will controlled over a script system what we developed ( MeoWScript ). That means, all, and I mean really all is customize able, but we want to make the game abstract as possible to give the normal people ( who want to change only stats of units etc. ) an easy why of customizing.
And at least the hardcore programmers will be able to customize also base things if they want :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:12 pm 

I don't think that is what he meant with "easy to use".

Normal people don't want to change stats of units. They just want to play the damn game. It might be good to keep this in mind.

Nowadays it's becoming increasingly obvious that a game just won't create a significant following unless you make it as retardly easy as possible to start and play the game, which in practice means launching through a browser with one click at max and no downloading of extra plugins required save for basic flash or java installation and even better if it can run without these. AWBW still has this over CW and that's basically *the* reason why AWBW is still alive and CW is not.

Customiseability is a niche feature that will only ever interest a handful of people and should be the last of your concerns. The average user is not a game developer nor does he want to be - you're the one that should be developing the game. If your game is worth anything people will play it - if it's not, they're not going to fix it for you so cast away any illusions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:32 pm 

That's correct, thank you , I will keep that in mind :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:11 am 

Thanks, Narts... I understand your concern and don't worry, we are taking care to make this game as easy to use as we can. I hate extremely long menus and loading screens too, and I also feel that playing the game is much more important than making it editable.

However, I don't want the programmers to deal with balance issues by having 1 update for every balance tweak. Giving users the power to do this themselves will save a lot of time, and we can focus on... you know... programming. The whole point of this program is to make a game, but the real point of this program is to make a game in where you can test balance tweaks/CO's/and other custom junk without depending on programmers to do it for you.

AWBW is a very good program, but I am not here to "beat" it... we are trying to expand it. Of course Tapsi and I have a game plan in the works. But, we need to make sure the engine can handle it... and any AW type game we would come up with in the future. Now I feel with this engine/script, we have surpassed our expectations.

I am handling all the menus and GUI elements for the game. I hate extremely complex menus and clunky controls. So I will tell you that I will make sure you do not spend too much time navigating menus, and the control system won't need your entire keyboard to work. All that is important to me is....

1) That you get to playing the game in as few clicks as possible.
2) That you can access everything from a 2-button mouse.

Anyway, you have some really good advice. I will keep it in mind as we continue coding. Thanks for your support.

JSR...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:35 pm 

Tapsi wrote:
Because JS and me want to realize our dream to make a pc advance wars we will complete CWT, no rumors about exist it or not.

I may be pedantic here, but does this mean CWT will be written in Java 1.6? If I remember correctly, there was a schism over whether to use 1.5 or 1.6, because the former is more available than the latter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:00 pm 

Oh, Slick can be run underneath Java 1.5, so there is no worries there. The whole CWT program is using Java 1.5 to run. The only reason we are trying to run on Java 1.5 is so it'll run on those older PC's, but Java 1.6 is still available on newer Macs. It is the older Mac laptops that are at risk.

Since Java is backward compatible anyway, we can use the same code for both. So we will be able to run under either Java 1.5 and 1.6. The version was just so we can cover as many people as we could with one program.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:59 am 

I want to register my thoughts on the subjects.

Kiwi, I found CW1 to be quite user friendly, I haven't played online yet, so that might be where found the issue.

Narts, I'm not a Programmer and I want to edit stats, especially if it's related to a CO.

Tapsi and JSR, keep up the good work. I'll test all the versions you put out. We are still going to have COs right?

JSR, will the key board be usable in CWT game play and map design?

Everyone, should there be a set of [stat] rules? So that everyone has the same stats when playing online. I'll write it up if you want me to.

DP, don't feel I'm leaving you out, but I think JSR answered your question.

(Luke 2:14, John 14:27)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:51 pm 

Simon wrote:
Tapsi and JSR, keep up the good work. I'll test all the versions you put out. We are still going to have COs right?

JSR, will the key board be usable in CWT game play and map design?

Everyone, should there be a set of [stat] rules? So that everyone has the same stats when playing online. I'll write it up if you want me to.

CO's are planned in the final version of this program. However, I am putting a lot of strain on getting both the server and the AI functional before we actually start coding CO's. Of all the customizable objects, CO's have the most flexibility... so I believe they need a smooth running game to be added into first. As of now this is the plan, but depending on what people think is important, it can change...

Yes, the keyboard will be usable in both the map editor and the real game. I also want to make it so you can play this game even if you only have a mouse. This way, it'll allow you to choose the best way to play the game, whether it be keyboard, mouse, or a hybrid of the two. This system is already within the program.

I am unsure of what you mean with [stat] rules. I am guessing that you mean everyone has a certain set of statistics when they go online when it comes to units/CO's, but I'll let you elaborate more on it. So far, the plan is that the host will decide the statistics for the online games. I dunno if you want to give all that power to the programmers one set of rules since, we are trying to have it so you can use custom stuff across the web as well. However, I might be misinterpreting... so...

JSR...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:39 pm 

So, it fragmented to a new, new, new project? Not really encouraged to be honest. I guess this is where Custom Wars and I part ways finally.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:41 am 

oh that's great man, I wasn't sure you left the last time you said something like this

or the time before that

or the time before that

or the time before that