It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:43 am

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Pointless Suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:57 pm 

1. Axe the game-specific boards. There's no point competing with WWN for coverage.

2. Make the programmer boards public. You're probably going to do that anyway once you have more stuff but still.

3. Make the archives public. They're an ugly but amusing piece of history and it's bothersome to reach them for anyone that wants to see them.

Post subject: Re: Pointless Suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:13 pm 

Not necessarily pointless, but still.

1) Mara said he was going to put very specific things into that board, so I will only remove it if he changes his mind. Other than that, my purpose for that board was not intended for competition with the other AW boards. Maybe a re-purposing for the board might be in order, but I'll have to judge that once those topics surface.

2) Yeah, I was thinking about making those boards public. Let me change the stats for these boards.

3) I've made the Archive boards read only for all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:33 pm 

Since CWT will have an AW2, AWDS, and AWDoR mode, I was hoping to use those boards as they apply to CWT's rendition of them. That way there would be no conflicts as far as, "Well, since you didn't use the actual cartridge that info doesn't count." Plus it keeps any customization discussion of those modes getting cluttered up in a single section dedicated to CWT. As far as competing with the other boards, it's not as if any of them really get used for discussing Advance Wars anymore.

"Bunny-cat is a dick."
~SF Debris, on Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

"It's like they took everything you shouldn't put into a movie... and made a show out of it."
~JakeSamiRulz, on Boku no Pico.

My blog.
My YouTube channel.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:02 pm 

I see. The descriptions may need to change or at least be appended to reflect this.

Will there be a blank, or, completely custom mode for the mentally unstable?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:15 pm 

Well, for now the game is guaranteed to have modes for AW2, AWDS, and AWDoR. Other than that, it'll be a blank slate for editing the values of the objects of the game. I am leaving a back door open for those who left design ideas, so the project will try to allow for those ideas. You can check out those ideas on the wiki.

For the record, DP, what suggestions do you have for the descriptions?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:19 pm 

Yeah, the forum descriptions should be changed. I think JSR just took them off of a test forum I made, which in turn borrowed them from Black Hole HQ.

As far as the archives being public... wow. Nothing like looking back at your 15-year-old self to see how much has changed in the intervening years! :lol:

"Bunny-cat is a dick."
~SF Debris, on Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

"It's like they took everything you shouldn't put into a movie... and made a show out of it."
~JakeSamiRulz, on Boku no Pico.

My blog.
My YouTube channel.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:03 pm 

I will need to know more about the current project before assisting it in less transient matters. This includes its current, future, and possible features as well as the skill set of the team behind it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:00 am 

Well, I'm glad you asked.

The new Custom Wars Programming Team consists of JakeSamiRulz and Tapsi. The forum is currently led by both me and Xenesis, and I've seeked the help of MaraSargon to give me advice on how to keep the forum organized. Any other members that show their efforts in Custom Wars, like you DP, Narts, and kiwi, I will also acknowledge.

I have done quite a bit of work to keep this section floating so people will still have a bit of faith in an AW clone. Because of this, I spent a lot of this time working to find proper hosting for both Commander Wars and the successor the Custom Wars. However, it seemed like what these 2 clones have done was just not enough, which is why I'm happy that I went along with Tapsi to create a new project.

Enter Custom Wars Tactics. This project was a pet project that Tapsi and I created with one focus in mind. Customization. The features planned for this game are actually on this site.
The Game Plan

But a short list would be...
- AW2, AWDS, and AWDoR will be playable under one game.
- You'll be able to customize units, terrain, properties, and (middle feature)CO's using text files. (You will also be able to add new text files and the program will read new objects in when you load the game.)
- You will be able to create maps (early feature), game rules (Middle feature), and campaigns (late feature).
- Playable on Android phones and iOS, with Network support (early feature) and AI support (mid - late feature).

As for the current skill set.

I've been programming in BASIC since early 2000. Since then, I've programmed in many languages including Java, C++, Perl, Python, MySQL, and a bit of JavaScript, and IBM RPG. I have a heavy background in art because both of my parents were very artistically gifted, but I didn't pursue it as deeply. I've been doodling and drawing since I can remember. Due to this, I am able to put an artists view on the programs I write and I strive hard for simplicity in all the code I write. In Custom Wars Tactics, I'm dealing with the graphics, user interfaces, menus, and overall shaping all the decisions of every aspect of Custom Wars.

My friend Tapsi is also a coder in this project. He is a coder who is very good at both Java and JavaScript. He worked on a project called MiniWars, which was also an AW clone. He is responsible for why Custom Wars Tactics will be available for iOS and Android devices. He is also the one working on the logic end of the code, and is focusing on making sure the game is responsive on all platforms, especially on the network.

At the moment, we have a very very early alpha prototype of the game. It is nothing to show off; it only allows movement of the units. It is also playable on iOS and runs on Android but is very slow. The color scheme is based off of allies and enemies, which we wanted to test to see if we can allow unlimited players, but it'll probably be scraped for something simpler.

My friend and I have been working on this for quite a long time, but we are finally at a point where both of us feel we got the right balance on customization and online support. The biggest challenge of designing this was to make sure you guys can add all the custom objects you want and change the values of any object in the game. What makes it better is that all changes will be loaded when you start up the game, so we can just focus on making the program faster and working on the internal features (like AI, online lobbies, and campaign interfaces).

Will this be enough? Maybe. But, I'm not one to give up on a challenge of bringing something new to the table of AW clones.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:16 pm 

More words than I was expecting, but still words. When is the nearest full release, what sort of timetable are you using, if any, and so on. If I appear a difficult sell, then it is because I expect no less from the rest of the old guard. As for new users, well, AW seems to occupy such a niche that new blood is trickling in all the time, if sporadically, with custom-content boards across all the sites still seeing activity, if likewise minimally. I simply don't know how this sort of project will keep up momentum given the previous precedent, is all.

On that note, have you thought about expanding the project to a strategy game maker of sorts? Obviously this is an even more difficult endeavour than present, but also brings greater rewards and flexibility. Free of the AW banner, you could appeal to far, far more audiences, some of which would be more helpful to you than what remains of this one. Of course, you would need something well and presentable to make a solid pitch, but it may be something to think about.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:13 pm 

Very challenging and great questions. So, I'll be direct and to the point here as I state where I stand.

This project covers a very specific niche. It is a project that caters specifically to those who wanted the power to alter the game in ways we couldn't do before. I decided a long time ago that we would target AW because of all the turn-based strategy games out there, this is one that has been neglected from any real editing software. A game engine that directly caters to AW does not exist, so I'm using this program as an opportunity to fill this gap. I am working purely out of passion and love for the game of AW, those who share that passion for the game will end up finding their way here.

To be frank, I have very high expectations for this game. I want the game play experience to be fast, intuitive, and easy to pick up. I want the users of this game to feel like this is an AW game. I am demanding a very structured production, with a high emphasis on documentation and clean readable code.

In order to keep the quality at the standard that I want, I am being very cautious in my release strategy for this game. I am basing my releases on Milestones, posts that are here, the repository, and the blog posts. I want everything we do to be visible, so if it is one thing us programmers will do, is have all the information open for everyone to see the work being done.

Milestone List
Official Page - CWT Blog
CWT Repository

As for a concrete timeline, I will be completely honest with you. I don't want to risk the integrity of the project by giving false hope. The timeline of updates and releases completely is dependent on our free-time. It doesn't mean that I won't give out dates, but it does mean that release dates for features will not be predictable. I will be completely honest with this community of any changes, but if all else fails check out the repository and the blog.

Unlike the old guard, I will listen to you. Any ideas that you have, I will be personally reading them. Keep those questions coming, because I know you are not the only one who is wondering about the project.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:28 pm 

I think it's absolutely wonderful that you (and your friend) are even embarking on this project, completely of your own free time as well - AND without being paid.

My one gripe is that you (both) are going under the name: Custom Wars.

There's a lot of hate going on with that name that it made me wonder if it might be better to name it something else... but I've just sat here for about two minutes trying to think up of something else you could call it and have drawn a complete blank...
So yeah, maybe my point's come across kinda badly there...

Still, I really wish you the very best for this project and the fact that after so many years of knowing the Advance Wars community (inside BHHQ anyway), it's nice that there are still good people left around.