It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:25 am

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Now Playing
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:56 am 

Games, music, television and film, doomsday plots to take over the multiverse or destroy it trying, whatever.

Whilst cleaning my harddrive, I stumbled across an old favorite of mine, Spelunky.

I quickly remembered why I stopped playing, as the game is absolutely unforgiving. Nonetheless, in spite of its roguelike-like background, most any death, of which you will suffer many, is likely due to player misjudgment. The randomised nature of the dungeons similarly enforces understanding of game mechanics rather than memorisation, particularly in contemporaries such as I Wanna Be the Guy. Evidently there is an enchanced port for the Xbox 360 which I would almost certainly try if I had one.

Post subject: Re: Now Playing
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:25 pm 

Meh, anything with fake difficulty like that is something you generally won't catch me playing, be it memorization or hellishly difficult mechanics. I have better things to be doing with my time, you know? :/

"Bunny-cat is a dick."
~SF Debris, on Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

"It's like they took everything you shouldn't put into a movie... and made a show out of it."
~JakeSamiRulz, on Boku no Pico.

My blog.
My YouTube channel.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:19 pm 

I've only played Spelunky very little. I think the version I played was ridden with little bugs that did not allow me to immerse myself in the everlasting dungeon feel. That and the high amount of deaths I encountered whilest playing gave me a very difficult experience. It was a very cool idea, nonetheless, but I always felt that there was an element missing I couldn't put my finger on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:20 am 

Now playing, eh..?

Games:
Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Street Fighter X Tekken, Transformers Fall of Cybertron, Uncharted 3 and Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. (Mainly working on Platinum Trophies, lol)

Music:
Kingdom Hearts 10th Anniversary Fan Collection, System of a Down's Dual Album (or single) Mezmerize and Hypnotize. (I'm driving a lot more now so these album lengths are just about right for most journeys)

Films:
Evangelion 1.11, Evangelion 2.22, ParaNorman and Wanted (getting tired through them doesn't help...)

I don't watch TV...

Never heard of Spelunky - I'm not easily able to get Windows games working on my Mac, lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:43 am 

Naturally, I forgot to mention what is, perhaps, the most relevant aspect of Spelunky: it is highly moddable. Being released some time ago, there is a breadth of modifications, ranging from simple removal of the much-loathed ghost, cheat mods, difficulty mods, et cetera. There is even a Mac OS port. But, by far my favorite, in its extensive overhaul of the base game, is Tastes Like Spelunky, in which the main character is switched with a ravenous man-eating plant and the humans are the enemy. At a glance, the community is still going, though it has been a long time since I actively observed it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:25 pm 

Customisation's cool - but I've never been a Keyboard/Mouse PC kind of gamer. I could barely hack WoW but I did enjoy the Myst series.

It's always nice to know that PC/desktop games have such a long lasting lifetime to them in comparison to console games which last roughly a week depending on your employment status...