It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Original artwork, campaigns, inpiration and ideas
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:55 am 

Searching through these forums and http://www.advancewarsnet.com/forums/ I can see there has never been any shortage in ideas for what custom wars could be to everyone.People come up with their own vehicles, COs and maps some have even contributed artwork. I'd like to start throwing ideas out there and encouraging everyone to do the same. People have voiced that they are worried of 'too many cooks' ruining the mix. Well at the moment we simply do not have that problem. Inevitably we will not be able to satisfy everyone but if one or two fans help us make this game better for everyone then it was certainly worth the small inconvenience of a few who did not.

So let me ask, in essence what is fun about the wars series? What are the bits everyone loves? What are your ideas?

I'd like to trawl through all the generated content and start pulling out some of the really good ideas that people have had and discuss their feasibility in the custom wars gaming engine. Its all pie in the sky until we can actually implement it as we have to get a core engine working well first but it doesn't hurt do start speaking about it together. :power:

I'll start.

Post subject: Re: Original artwork, campaigns, inpiration and ideas
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:51 am 

I'm amazed at how much time I can spend just looking at all the stuff people have come up with
it makes me want to make something of my own, except I don't have the time or the skills. Hmm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:28 am 

You know, we've got a ton of things we already have in terms of the engine, CCOs, etc. Feel free to look through those, too.

I'm going to take a little bit of time reviving those forums for your viewing pleasure. <:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:39 pm 

Quote:
Hello veteran/prospect graphic team...

Nothing is more important than graphics when it comes to games. Custom Wars is no different, we are going to need your help in order to make this happen. As we all know, CW has taken a hit. But we are the only ones that can make sure that it is not down for the count.

Since the game is in redevelopment, I believe your opinions are going to be very important to making sure the game stays graphically friendly. I know there are portions of the game that you'd like programmers to know about which would make your experience easier as a spriter, (or as a member, for that matter). It is important that your voices are heard.

So, this is my informal invite to join in the development process. We need your support in the development phase to make this game the success is destined to be.

The fill in...

Well, surely there are going to be questions about the revival. I try and solve some of those here...

-The revival was started by a fairly new member called chom-chom. He is an experienced programmer with 2 other successful projects. When he saw CW's state, he tried to contact people to help him gather the files. Slowly, I helped him gather the information he needed to get the game running.

He has been a great help in the overall revival, and it is gaining momentum. The engine is becoming simplified and more refined. Long time bugs are being sited and snuffed out. In the midst of this momentum, I don't want anyone to be left behind when it comes to advice. Any bit of help you can provide will be vital for making a better experience for everyone.

Uhhh... where again?

We have created a hub of communication in which everyone will speak of the development of CW. I advise that you contact chom or I so that way, we can add your voice to the experience. Just name the topic Electron Club and give us your email and name. We'll handle the rest.

Contact Information
JakeSamiRulz - Crecen
email: ctomni231@gmail.com

chomchom - Kevin
email: kevin@appletv.co.uk

Some helpful links...

The Update Log
Started by Chomchom - This is the hub for where we would all communicate. Sign up with chomchom or I via email or PM.
http://electronclub.updatelog.com/proje ... roject/log

The CW Repository
-The CW Repository holds a living document of code changes, might be helpful for people who want to keep track of development.
http://code.google.com/p/customwars/

TRPGM Website
-Started by Urusan, this engine is currently in development. In the future, it might be used for CW. I recommend signing up for these forums as well.
http://urusan.paheal.net/board/

Anyway, thanks for your time in reading this message. Hopefully, you'll join us in the process of revival as well. Thanks.

-JSR

This is what I got in my box today, in the carbon copy box there was no mention of Narts who I beleive is the far superiuer spriter from all of us. As for graphical aspect, who cares what the graphics are like until the game itself is actually playable and fun.

Until we have a working game use the old sprites, and chom chom, if you are going to use other people's sprites for this games, try not grabbing shitty ugly sprites like the one made by that guy you ,linked at awn.

Once you have a working game I am more than willing to dedicate time, patience, artwork, critique, debug testing, and to act as a sounding board for ideas. Until we learn from the mistake that was the old cw I much rather see a WORKING METAGAME FIRST, THEN ADD SHIT IN, TEST SHIT, THEN BETTER METAGAME, till then I am not willing to waste time doing anything for you guys. Also consitsency is key to making a game look sexy as much as it hurts to say that T_T.

If you need anything else

master-artisan@hotmail.com

That is all

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:07 pm 

That's because Narts is already on board, Artea.

Mooglegunner wrote:
Seriously, if there's an American in College who isn't on when you are, they're not working hard enough, or Liberal Arts Majors.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:29 pm 

=3 can this day get any better?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:14 am 

Unless you want me to make fanservice. X3 That stuff usually works you know. I'm inking more drawings than before now so they can now be coloring-friendly. I haven't realized this site partially opened actually.

I'll be in college next month so I'm sure things will get better later on.

edit: wait, I'll just do whatever I can. If there things missing, tell me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:39 pm 

Although refining graphics would be nice,the focus should be on gameplay before presentation, and by extention, the campaign. The most important part of a campaign is variety. AW:DS failed in the campaign department due to a lack of variety, in my honest opinion. On top of that, keep any tutorials seperate from the actual missions. The only problem I had with AW:DoR was that the first 12 or so missions felt like tutorials.

It's not so hard to think up different motifs for maps either. For example:
Basic ground vs. ground.
Basic sea vs. sea
Basic air vs. air
Fog of war
Capture ## properties
Protect specific unit
Air and sea only
Pre-deploy only
1 vs. 2
1 vs. 3
2 vs. 2
2 vs. 1
3 vs. 1
Survive ## turns
Win in ## turns
Double or half income
Random weather
Destroy BH invention(s)
Fend off large force then counter attack
Sea and air vs. ground
Ground & air vs. anti-ground & anti-air
Prevent Enemy From Capturing Specific Property
Break through indirect laiden chokes
Beat enemy CO on map nade specifically for him/her
Survive constant missle bombardment
Win with strategic missle bombardment
Mixtures of the Above

26 different ideas, not counting the mixtures of each that one can do, and the variations of each. Another point, if we implement a Tag system, we'll want to do it from scratch. Maybe make COPower bars charge slower if you use two COs? As is, there's no reason not to use two COs instead of one, but by adding draw backs it could be a balanced and strategic choice. Do I sacrifice Power charging speed for versatility, or do I focus on 1 CO's strengths, going the other route?

Also, the Custom Campaign posted in the first post has a sequal, one that is not complete but is definately worth a read: http://www.advancewarsnet.com/forums/in ... opic=32278

And here's one that's playable, intended for Advance Wars Days of Ruin, although it's also unfinished: http://www.advancewarsnet.com/forums/in ... opic=33972

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:33 am 

I am actually working on a shitty storyline =3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:08 pm 

You better make sure it's really shitty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:46 pm 

You better actually shit on the story so you can ensure maximum shittiness

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:49 pm 

Quote:

This my friends is pretty much the entirety of the AW1 campaign, recognised as the most pure awesome one in the series.

I feel we should work with this. :P

Mooglegunner wrote:
Seriously, if there's an American in College who isn't on when you are, they're not working hard enough, or Liberal Arts Majors.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:06 pm 

Xenesis wrote:
Quote:

This my friends is pretty much the entirety of the AW1 campaign, recognised as the most pure awesome one in the series.

I feel we should work with this. :P

I do agree. Good map/mission design is crucial.
And UserShadow's list is golden. Like golden grahams.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:31 pm 

Conversly, a good map with shitty story can be boring to (look at lost planet, beautiful art and fun to play but plot was mad gay and made me not like the game to the fullest.)

Also you are all asuming an A.I. will be made...

And asuming that CO's will be implemented (thought there were no co's this time)

Among other things

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:41 pm 

Of course there will be an AI framework. We actually have programmers now. The "no COs" only applies to Ad Hoc Wars, which is intended to be just a simple demo for the Custom Wars engine. There will be a genericised framework in the engine to support other games involving COs and factions with individual powers and abilities.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:07 pm 

Okie, I see, and is adhoc wars going to have silly campaign, if so, I got a good small plot thing for a small campaign (like learning to play aw game essentially).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:45 pm 

Yes there should be a campaign of some kind, I don't care who makes it, might as well be you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:53 am 

Is it possible to have powers to post in a hidden section so that only certain people can read the progress I make on my plot. I have a general plot I just need to sit down and flesh it out in areas. That way if you like it none of the plot gets spoiled for everyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:05 am 

You can PM me or send it over MSN.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:26 pm 

Ok, I got the general framework of what I want to do done. Just a matter of fleshing out and making it advanacable by gameplay. I will post it once I get it more fleshed out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:02 pm 

Another campaign I liked, which revolved around the BH members after AW2, but before AW:DS (which wasn't out at the time):
(Dialogue):http://www.advancewarsnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1426
(Maps):http://www.advancewarsnet.com/designmaps/maps.php?grp=4

If only I were good at making maps. It takes patience that I really don't have. One map I tried to make in the AW:DoR design map had nothing but Sea, Properties, and lots and lots of Bridges inbetween (Which Sea units can move through in DoR), but I could never get anywhere with the idea.

EDIT: I hope you go far with the idea, Destin. *Starts listening to "You're Gonna Go Far Kid" by the Offspring*

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:11 am 

Got most of the story down pat, essentially I got how it begins, how it ends, and a bit in between. So the basic plot line I tell everyone on msn about seems to be ok but the problem most people point out is to make it more beleivable, what I am willing to give out right now that it happens in the near future, and it is designed to be a short campaign so that people can see what the engine is capable of while teaching them how to play so that when the real cw narts and other people are making is complete they will be able to transition over with ease.

Also about the wwii idea I had >:C, I SWEAR TO GOD NINTENDO DS HAS SPIES LISTENING TO MY EVERY CONVO!!!! everything in panzer tactics ds was how I planned to make my game (except it was meant to be only eastern front >:C)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:35 pm 

Lol because a turn-based WW2 game played on hexes is such an original idea...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:04 am 

I don't mean just the wwii on hex part, like the plane ideas on how to represent them on the field, other things like landing craft, area control for bonuses etc. etc. got home safe just so you know, after 3 hour delay because of a hatch failure on our plane.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:53 am 

Ok so I got the beggining and end like I had said, I am now in the proccess of going through the campaign mission by mission to sort of make a better flowing story. Unfortunatly in doing so I have appearntly become over cliched and lame >:C. When I am done fixing this fiasco with my university I will post what I have done okies ~_^

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:56 am 

It's actually perfectly okay for Ad Hoc Wars to be cliched and lame. Can you post at least some kind of sketchy outline of what the story is about and put it on the wiki perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:55 am 

Ok well I was going to wait till the whole epic novel was finished BUT....

Bare essentials here so don't say the plot is too translucent and simple.

Essentially the game starts off with our general on a helicopter that falls asleep on the ride to the next assignment. The officers dream is actually a memory of a way that happened 15 years earlier. That's where the basic plot of the ressource securing war starts. Essentially the flashback is a forced tutorial that teaches you how to play while building up the plot of the first war. How the first war ends I will not say exactly, something you have to play the game to learn.

One of the outcomes of the war is a new orginisations formed by the super powers fighting in the earlier war. It is essentially a stronger UN that is put together to stop the rest of the wars that have not ceased (becuase the war plunged many countries into war). Our CO is a decorated general from the first war put in charge of conquering the countries, upon which the supreme court of the "UN" decides wether or not the country deserves to be allowed to re-establish its own gouvernment or wether it gets a puppet until the un later decides that they can run themselves.

Under this un there is prosperity etc as stuff is reallocated like communism but not quite.

Our CO essentially goes and fights in different countries around the world and essentially learns of a plot ;)

I know cliched and lame but I am actually working on it in quite some detail so bear with me <3

Now where the plot I am actually working on goes is not for other people to hear but will be posted when it is done for all the staff WORKING on the project to read. I am done the first few missions but if you still want more with what I am working on I can pm you guys the naked skeleton document I have of the whole thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:14 am 

This doesn't sound lame at all, carry on with the work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:20 am 

Well the plot twist is what most of the people on msn say is cliched but o well <3, if you say continue continue I will.

One thing, I am designing it so that idiots can learn to play (flashback) and the story progression is the part where players learn to apply their new found skills. My one question is, would it be bad to have the second mission a fow one?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:40 am 

You can do whatever you like, you can design it for idiots, or you can make it so hardcore that veteran players cry tears of blood halfway through the first mission. The main thing is just to show the capabilities of the engine so the important thing is that there is some dialogue and missions in a sequential order, preferably not too many, something like three to four missions should be enough.