It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:58 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: New Infantry type
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:31 am 

Hello there, I just had an idea for a custom infantry type so I thought I'd float it here on the boards. Also I am aware that the AW community has a thing against infantry (despite infantry being the foundation of an army IRL), which is why this unit is expensive and mainly anti-infantry.

The Sniper
fuel: 99
movement: 4 tiles, same cost as infantry
vision: 5, increases to 7 on a mountain tile
price: 3000
weapon: high powered sniper rifle
ammo: 4
range: 1-2, 1-3 when on a mountain tile
damage
infantry/mechs: 80%
Vehicles: 20%
air: X
sea: X

Special abilities: This infantry unit cannot capture properties (It's just a rifleman and a spotter). Follows same firing restrictions as all range units (can't fire on the same turn it moves and cannot counter attack), however it can attack adjacent units. Deals high damage to infantry units by sniping the commanding officer and causing the remaining soldiers to flee in terror. Constistantly deals 20% damage to vehicles by sniping a driver. Can't fire on air and sea units.
Sniper units that move onto a forest or mountain tile can select [camo] as an option after they have moved, in which they will become invisible to non-adjacent units (like subs and stealth bombers). While in camo mode, the sniper units movement is reduced to 2, instead of using more fuel. Hidden sniper units can still fire while remaining hidden.

Strengths:
an indirect infantry unit!
The only indirect unit that can make direct attacks
good for keeping properties out the hands of overaggressive enemies
high visibility, mobility and concealment over difficult terrain make them ideal for recon duties

Weaknesses:
Low defense, can be wiped out instantly by an infantry unit in reasonably good health. (this is countered by the fact that a sniper should be able to spot infantry coming it's way 2 days in advance).
Extensive training requirements make one sniper and spotter as expensive to deploy as three infantry squads.
Can't hide on plains, roads, or city tiles. Makes them less useful on maps with mostly urban terrain.

Post subject: Re: New Infantry type
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:43 am 

You would imagine snipers would be quite expensive. On some maps with a lot of infantry where vehicles were not available you can imagine that they could become quite valuable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:24 am 

Why would I want this over a recon?

Adam: [on Jamie's cardboard milkshake]That tastes uncannily like cardboard.

Adam: *prances inside large tank*
Jamie: Hey Adam, do you want to know what this tank was used for holding?
Adam: *continues prancing* Yeah, what?
Jamie: Fecal matter.
Adam: *runs out screaming*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:55 am 

Recons are direct Snipers would be both direct and in-direct.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:00 am 

Seems like they would be extremely situational

it's hard to tell how useful they would be without being able to playtest them

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:24 am 

But then again aren't most units situational??

EG:
On a heavy urban map you would use tanks/infantry as opposed to fighters/bcopters
On a heavy naval map you would use battleships/cruisers as opposed to infantry/tanks
On a mix map you would have a mix troops.
On a heavy mountainous map you would use infantry/bcopters/bombers as opposed to most things.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:48 am 

or you can spam infantry on every map plus some artillery, tanks, and copters

except sea maps
because no one plays on those

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:42 pm 

Having been a veteran member of this website many many many many months and years and lifetimes and aeons, having seen empires built and fallen throughout the years, I can say without a shadow of a doubt this topic is number 100000x in the "make a custom infantry that isnt a mech or an infantry".

Plain and simple the game woudln't work with them because they are out of scale in proportions to the battle field. This argument has been done thousands of times on awb, awbw, cw, awn, bhhq, bwnet, ss-bw. It won't work unless you radically change the game hence why I will have to give you the nay.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:01 am 

Artea tows hard line to please. :)
It may be the case that these units wouldn't work with the game as it stands just now but I don't think this guy is arguing otherwise. There could be other plugin style games where only infantries play. We couldn't really get a good feel without playing them. There is certainly no harm in discussing the possibilities and most importantly of all we still want to encourage ideas being thrown around.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:59 am 
Main Coder

In the ideal world(read plugin system) C.O. FUBAR would wrote the distinct properties of this sniper and add them to the plugin resource data, then would create a sniper img and add it to the tileset. He does't need any passwords/special access, only get the current resources and add his sniper.

Then he would test the new unit to see if it was what he expected. An idea is nice, but only the toughest will actually create the data+img and so we get lesser new proposals and of higher quality.

The unit can then be added as a plugin(cwAndsniper.jar) or (groundUnitsonlyWithSnipers.jar) as chom_chom said. He can share his new unit by sending his res.jar to others so a testGame can be played. If you don't want/like to play with the new unit just keep using the cw plugin. Of course you can't have both. The resources should be bundled into jars so it's just a matter of adding a res.jar to the res folder instead of copying files & folders around.

This is a more positive approach and effectively makes FUBAR a modder :) also he doesn't have to talk to admins/programmers to see his idea in action.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:36 am 

I can't really see the sniper being too useful, but the thought of a plugin system for new units makes me drool. :)