It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:46 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Another custom wars project?!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:02 am 

By complete coincedence there is another project more or less trying to do exactly the same us here! Funnily enough they are just moving to slick 2D! I'm going to contact them and see if they will join us.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jadvancedwars/
http://jadvancedwars.sourceforge.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Post subject: Re: Another custom wars project?!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:43 am 

We have heard of these guys before, they actually came to our forum a while back though I don't remember on what business, but yes familiar faces.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:53 am 

These guys are also developing an open source version of the email based game.
http://web-battler.cvs.sourceforge.net/web-battler/

Be good to keep up with them also.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:00 pm 

Actually, the leader of the forum just talked to me a few days ago. They tried to join the CW team in the past, but unfortunately it didn't happen for them. I have kept in contact with him anyway, just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:02 pm 

Really? When you say tried were there differences of opinion as to how it should look? Could you tell him that we'd welcome the help and he'd be very welcome to contribute. I had a look through their project and their code is very clean and it seems they have been writing unit tests. I'd welcome the company.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:10 pm 

chom_chom wrote:
By complete coincedence there is another project more or less trying to do exactly the same us here! Funnily enough they are just moving to slick 2D! I'm going to contact them and see if they will join us.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jadvancedwars/
http://jadvancedwars.sourceforge.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Hmmm... jadvancedwars... yes i tried that before... they are useing the webstart launcher and for me it never worked! Could just be me... But thought i would add my 2cents to the discussion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:21 am 

No, it never worked for me either. So I cant really comment on the project! I've got the source checked out but there are some bits missing. Hopefully we'll hear from them soon and we'll get a demo.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:46 am 

chom_chom wrote:
Really? When you say tried were there differences of opinion as to how it should look? Could you tell him that we'd welcome the help and he'd be very welcome to contribute. I had a look through their project and their code is very clean and it seems they have been writing unit tests. I'd welcome the company.

Well, not really. Stef... (who was actually stef569 in here) came and asked to merge projects. However, at that time, everyone was ahead of his project and CW was at it's apex. So, they respectfully declined his request to join the engine of CW.

I kept his game, his forum, and contact info... just in case. He has a very interesting background story. It's funny cause his reason for starting his game was the same reason CW was started, to learn Java while creating a great game. Anyway, he'll be useful in the later stages of the game dev, when online play becomes a necessity. He has a lot of php/java/xml skills that have yet to be tapped. I think we should focus on the problem at hand first, though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:27 pm 

So he was asking to merge the projects before? Well then they'll probably be much more open to speaking about the opportunities that we could see together. That's cool, I'll try and sending them messages via their forum.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:19 am 
Main Coder

Hi, i'm willing to merge i have written a lengthy reply on our forum.
But only if we take the good parts and really merge our 2 projects. I have a lot of ideas about howto merge. One of them is assigning roles even when we worked with 2 people it became apparent that we needed to split in what package we would work.

I'll need some guiding in how customwars works thought...
I mean there is this forum, google repo but where does everybody fit in,
people come propose new unit types/programmer post new releases/people come back,leave old topics, different game types i'm a bit confused =)

We have everything 2x now: 2 repos, 2 forums,...
Our forum is provided by sourceforge = sf, It's a free service. They also host releases(unlimited size)
If we don't want to support multiple releases then I'll go with the google repo = (repo = svn repository).

After that is decided we could write the specs down, is there already a document? this really is very important to get the basics written down so everybody knows what to do/expect.
JakeSamiRulz I haven't done anything big in php yet :wink:

Quote:
I think we should focus on the problem at hand first, though.

What are the problems at hand, choosing a game framework?
I would like to have access to the programming forums.

I'm glad that it we finally bundle efforts :D

Last edited by stef569 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:32 am 

I would be interested in knowing what you have done in PHP?? Drop me a PM via here please so that this thread is kept on topic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:57 am 

Great! I'm glad you are willing to join us.
Merging our two projects will not be an instant process but when we are both moving frameworks is ideal!
I suspect that it will be a merging of ideals rather than code anyway depending on what is actually portable.
The most important thing is to get your input.

The direction our project is taking is that we are building a generic offering that other will be able to customize.
It is not feasible to build an open source project around soley reproducing the original 'wars' games because of legal restrictions.
You can read the background and history in our former discussions held both on the project planner (I first need an email address to sign you up) and in here in the dev forums.

Management style
Specs are a bad idea in general. Documentation should be kept light in order to move and adapt quickly to change.
The more dry documentation you generate, the more labored redundancy you will inevitably fall into and commit to other people.

I like to take much more of an agile approach and say no to specs as much as possible and use user roles & stories.
http://forums.customwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=8814

Then from the goals there break the issues that prohibit these actions being achieved into tasks.
Then using estimates on how long it will take to achieve the tasks we can see how long it will take to deliver the stories functionality.
I break this length of time into iterations that have new small pieces of functionality.
This way we slowly and consistently deliver quality working software after each iteration.
I prefer this style of iterative development as opposed to the outdated waterfall approach. I also prefer agile software development methodologies. I think we'll work very well together as it seems you have been trying to write a significant amount of test coverage with Junit. I commend that!
As a programming style I prefer to write the test first and then satisfy its assertion but recently this has not been possible with so much of the logic trapped in the custom wars gui.

I have been slowly refactoring down our code and trying to standardize it down to just the core generesized elements. This will be a gradual thing and our main milestone is to first get a fully working copy out to share with the community by the end of January.

As for the whole merging repositiories, there is no rush this will not be an instant thing we will make steady progress and come to an agreement as to what we both need and then create a new merged version of custom wars on our trunk in google code. The 'merged' will first start as a framework if we choose to do so and then we can add the functionality of both yours and then customwars offering on top of that.

I still can't get jAdvanced Wars running so maybe you could speak to me over messaging tomorrow and help me get it working?
After I've actually seen it working I'd be in a better place to comment on its functionality in relation to what we are aiming for in custom wars. Please download custom wars and give it a try. You can follow the instructions on the google code repo or just check it out.