It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:48 am

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: CW 3D
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:47 pm 

I've only just joined, and I'm hearing a lot of talk about where to go with CW especially in the visual aspect.

Its just an idea but I'd just like to propose going 3D.

It's not as outrageous as it first seems, only the gui needs to change, the game mechanics all stay the same. The game will still load 2d maps and run campaigns and AI all the same as usual.

As a developer, I have experience programming in 3d but unfortunately not in Java. I've done 3D modeling before, and the units in advance wars would be easy to make.

It will be a challenge, but I feel it would be far more fulfilling than ripping of Nintendo Advance Wars.

If there is enough interest, we can try working on a simple simulation where you move 3D units around on a grid etc. before trying to integrate it into CW.

Post subject: Re: CW 3D
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:08 pm 

Actually, Islip...

I had the same idea a while back. Making a 3D iteration of the game will be cool. One problem...

No one has successfully made a 2D version of this game yet. It'll be difficult enough getting this game running without adding a 3D implementation into the mix. We have a lot of challenges ahead, just for the 2D version. AI being one of the major hurdles we have to overcome. For simplicity's sake, I am trying to stick with 2D.

But, I still think it is a great idea. Java has an implementation of OpenGL that might be especially helpful for this project. I'll post it up in the game play features, and probably we'll be able to get to it later in the process... :). After we have a working game, at least...

JSR...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:39 pm 

http://skyblufox.deviantart.com/gallery ... s-3D-Units

http://skyblufox.deviantart.com/gallery ... -Map-Packs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:57 pm 

Staying with 2d for now would be easier because we already have 2d graphics to use. But generally 3d games are much easier because 3d animations are a lot easier to make than 2d animations.

Nice find destin, the cell shading effect used there suits the theme of Advance Wars nicely. Cell shading is easier too, because you don't need complex textures.

Another advantage to using 3d in the future is we can use the 3d models to make short animations for combat fight scenes and campaign intros.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:47 am 

In a project like this 2D vectors would give you pretty much all the benefits of 3D and be easier to make.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:10 am 

Destin wrote:
http://skyblufox.deviantart.com/gallery/#Advance-Wars-3D-Units

http://skyblufox.deviantart.com/gallery ... -Map-Packs

wow, those look really cool.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:19 am 

Islip wrote:
Staying with 2d for now would be easier because we already have 2d graphics to use. But generally 3d games are much easier because 3d animations are a lot easier to make than 2d animations.

Nice find destin, the cell shading effect used there suits the theme of Advance Wars nicely. Cell shading is easier too, because you don't need complex textures.

Another advantage to using 3d in the future is we can use the 3d models to make short animations for combat fight scenes and campaign intros.

Well, can't argue with that notion.

-The 3D shading and lighting effects will make the game look a lot cleaner as well.
-Those cell shading animations are awesome.

Those polygonal shapes of the original AW units makes it a no-brainer when it comes to a project like this as well. As I said, it is an awesome idea. Something I'll definitely consider throwing some time into...

JSR...