It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:49 am

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: RIP CW
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:29 am 

KIA: Retsej, Xenesis, Urusan, I Blame Video Games, Tsu, Kosheh, Artea-Destin, X0_000, Deoxy, and the rest of you awesome people, may you be remembered if cw actually does one day get completed:

Last edited by Artea on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: RIP CW
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:38 am 

sorry to hear you are leaving, but that picture is epic on so many different levels...
*saves*

hope you'll come back and visit us every now and again
;_; why are all the "famous" people leaving...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:10 am 

*bows head in respect* - "I was never good with speeches, but here it goes. Short and sweet."

I'll never forget the old members that made this place what it is today. (Well, what it will become tomorrow...) As the new programming team strives to repair what was lost; may we move forward to create a game that would make us all proud.

-JSR...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:29 am 

Okay, that's kinda funny but what a waste of time lol.

I don't appreciate being generalised as an idiot. I joined CW to spend my spare time on something worthwhile and rewarding.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:55 am 
Main Coder

lol that's brilliant :D
JakeSamiRulz I think we need another feature: A list of people who have dedicated a good amount of their time to cw.
Like other games have, what is it called again aah -> Credits.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:08 am 

how can you guys even read that black on brown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:32 am 

Updated, forgot to add kiwi, he's been pretty awesome, and also added in islip

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:38 am 
Main Coder

lol :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:07 am 

Thanks Artea I appreciate the brown nosing

Look man, if you wanna bail because you have other things to do, that's great. Who would want to spend time on some cheap knock-off? They must be nuts, trying to take something that's so ok and make it better, they tried and tried and they can't make it work, but it's not over until the last person gives up on it. The guys who get things done stick with it until they're done, but the guys who make things happen stick with it beyond that, even when things go to hell.

That's why bad dudes like Frosty and Narts get high fives because they're still here trying to make sense of things, or maybe they're just crazy, and maybe these newer guys will get some too if they stick around long enough to leave their mark. Don't get it twisted though, you want to see this work as much as the next guy but you have better and more important things to do, and that's cool.

so if you ever want to come back, we'll be right here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:52 pm 

Thanks Artea, No one has briefed me on the history of CW yet. So I'll just assume your visual interpretation is accurate :p

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:51 pm 

it's really odd

to think that this shit basically has been going on for several years

i love how i'm added on with the others with the BHHQ rehash.

as for a history, that's essentially accurate, maybe a bit sparse on early history, but honestly, it's an internet forum, who the fuck cares about our early history.

best of luck to people making the new product!

it's also fun to note where artea places the golden age - i'd have placed it wayyy earlier, but eh, everyone tends to think when they showed up and got involved as best

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:06 pm 

Hey, I'm still around....I just don't post more than once a fortnight. <_< >_>;

Mooglegunner wrote:
Seriously, if there's an American in College who isn't on when you are, they're not working hard enough, or Liberal Arts Majors.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 am 

Sven wrote:
it's also fun to note where artea places the golden age - i'd have placed it wayyy earlier, but eh, everyone tends to think when they showed up and got involved as best

I never contributed to cw, I never added value or anything to the project. I place the golden age there because thats when we had people dedicating themselves to music, story, art. I mean even if characters didn't get in you could still glance at the co creation forum and have a good read for a few hours with all the back story there was. And it had to come after narts because he did make many good sprites, and after he showed up we started converting halo's work into sprites. Either way I just felt like making this, it actually all started because of what one of the new guys said. Either way like you said i wish them the best of luck in their new pursuits.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:52 am 

I would also place the golden age somewhere around that time, but I would not attribute it to myself or any other content creator who was active back then. That's when playing online games became accessible, thanks to the new shiny server system, the very reason I decided to join. I had been lurking for quite a while, but never bothered to get involved because playing games through hamachi seemed too much of a hassle. The server seemed to attract many other people as well, and these people formed the core of what I consider the League of the Truly Awesome People on Custom Wars - those who played the game. We need people doing that, seriously.

I think developing the accessibility even further is the key to get more people. I see a lot of promise in chom-chom's Lasker engine for that reason. Making the game playable through a browser AWBW style will significantly lower the treshold for people trying out the game and becoming active members of the community. So let's cheer this warrior on. His efforts are paving the way for a new era that hopefully will be unanimously remembered as THE golden age of Custom Wars.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:22 am 

lol

whatever i guess

there was a lot more genuinely useful activity on the BHHQ boards, or maybe i just had a lower tolerance for bullshit COs and ideas then. who knows, bet of luck to someone trying to get something going

regardless there never was a beta so lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:19 pm 

Well I'm glad to see that the historian population here on CW is still very strong =] It'd feel out of place if there wasn't someone talking about the good ol' days and being so detailed about how and why everything collapsed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:41 pm 

IBVG is always right.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:41 am 

so sven leaves WWN forever only to show up on custom wars and say random crap

anyway yes, I am always right, though I have no idea what that has to do with custom wars or why anyone remembers me besides my pretty much just doing whatever sven said and hoping that he'd somehow lead us to glory. I'm assuming you just made something up for me that sort of made sense but anyway, it's time for me to go waste time on another disastrous internet game community so goodbye and good luck on whatever's going on these days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:37 pm 

I Blame Video Games wrote:

anyway yes, I am always right, though I have no idea what that has to do with custom wars or why anyone remembers me besides my pretty much just doing whatever sven said and hoping that he'd somehow lead us to glory. I'm assuming you just made something up for me that sort of made sense but anyway, it's time for me to go waste time on another disastrous internet game community so goodbye and good luck on whatever's going on these days.

u must really hate cw, yet u have 6k posts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:59 am 

I don't hate CW, it's just a huge disaster and always has been. I like disasters, just not when there's no hope to cling to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:17 am 

I don't hate CW, it's just a huge disaster and always has been. I like disasters, just not when there's no hope to cling to.

And who ever said there WAS no hope to cling to? :|

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:54 am 

Been thinking about this comic ( i came back since i heard narts was making awesome progress) and I finally realised what I was missing in this comic. I forgot shoe saying STFU,GTFO CW, LURN2PLAY! it feels only like yesterday that he called my ideas dumb <3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:43 am 

sup may i join you

EDIT: we can switch roles this time

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:44 am 

it's only smogon

recently they've suggested that a formula be used to change the win condition so "hax victories" punish players!

sadly though no, I have not found anything interesting that actually involves the creation of a new game. but with smogon it's basically the same deal anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:50 am 

I thought kosh was involved with some effort by some retarded twelve year old kids to create a fan version of Smash Bros or something

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:51 am 

it's only smogon

recently they've suggested that a formula be used to change the win condition so "hax victories" punish players!

sadly though no, I have not found anything interesting that actually involves the creation of a new game. but with smogon it's basically the same deal anyway.

how sad :(:(:(

sadly i am no longer 13 years old.

so i doubt anything will grab and hold me like AW lol

also god smogon.

like honestly

why are the playing a shitty poker. why?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:04 am 

>_>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:14 am 

dear lord

what the fuck it just completely like

sunk in

they want to change pokemon... so that whoever knocks out all the other guys pokemon might lose?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:15 am 

what?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:49 am 

oh

yeah

if you critical hit some of your opponent's guys or something else "haxxy," based on the formula you might lose, or the match might be thrown out and won't count on the ladder or whatever. legendary members amazing ampharos, colin and blame game tried to explain why that is retarded pretty much on principle, but nobody else seems to care very much except for a few who think "it doesn't seem right" (but they hate "hax" so much that they probably wouldn't care if it were implemented anyway). other than that, people are calling it "ambitious" and shit so I imagine this will actually be done should the formula be finalized.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:39 am 

wonderful

isn't amazing ampharos basically a retarded side character who couldn't hack it in mainstream pokemon, so he spent more of his time theorytarding and trying to produce alternate versions of the game?

and colin is basically a statfag sirlin disciple who seems to produce no original thought whatsoever?

so basically your side is fucked

because you don't have the charismatic admin who is good at the game on your side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:39 am 

Amazing Ampharos was at least solid during the Advance days (might have been around before then) if not better, but overall, yeah, he was generally pretty distant from the main community. He usually stuck around gfaqs, so I think he just wanted more direct influence over people, though that's kind of a blunt way of putting it. If I were to compare him to anyone in the AW community, it'd be DTaeKim. I wouldn't say Colin exactly regurgitates everything Sirlin says but he's really one-dimensional in most of his arguments and even when I agree with them I find myself having to actually expand on them myself, just to make sure that they make sense in terms of Pokemon and not just traditional accepted competitive gaming junk. So it's really no surprise that he failed miserably in actually influencing the community in any major way besides programming shoddy, and yeah, they're both essentially irrelevant now, having left for the brawl community.

long story short yes you're right, I'd be fucked if not for the fact that this formula would take forever to finalize even if it did make sense to implement. Also there's at least Obi who I assume would agree with me, he's pretty much the closest person to what you're describing at this point.