It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:34 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: scavenging my old work to help cw
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:07 pm 

I haven't got access to the dev section atm (though I was told I did).

Stef suggested I go about working on a server, initially just for sending chat messages. I have a multi-threaded chat program written in java that uses an implementation of Zero Configuration Networking which means finding a host over a LAN is a breeze, no IP swapping necessary. I think this might be useful for CW2. I wrote it a while ago and I'm not the best at socket programming so I'm more than willing to let you guys spruce it up. I guess I don't have write permission to the repository either so you will have to wait. But when I do, I commit it as a branch? right?

I also made a protocol (list of network commands) for JAdvancedWars* network messages. Though I'm sure CW has its own one. I also made a parser that turns the network messages into vectors (for easy reading) and vise-versa.

* - JAdvancedWars is an old AW clone Stef and I worked on.

Post subject: Re: scavenging my old work to help cw
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:05 am 

Quote:
I haven't got access to the dev section atm (though I was told I did)

Access to the dev forum... I am working on it for ya. (DONE... thanks to chom-chom)

Quote:
I guess I don't have write permission to the repository either so you will have to wait. But when I do, I commit it as a branch? right

You can write to the repo whenever you please. (Everything is a branch actually in this repo :P...) Just make sure you put your work into "v2" in a folder called "server"... As soon as it is ready for inclusion into the main class, then we'll just merge it over. The cw repository is pretty open at this point. I think there are only 2 rules... (that I am still trying to follow myself...)

1) Issue number your commit (if applicable)
2) Code must compile every commit...

That is all. Yeah, whatever you can contribute would be great. A LAN chatting system for CW2 sounds awesome. Thanks so much for your work.

-JSR...