It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:40 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Mod Bin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:47 am 

In kiwi's zeal at doing something vaguely useful for once, we've thrown around a couple one-off ideas for possible CW mods that we can theoretically do but probably won't. Feel free to post your own.

I seem to recall a space tile set. Why stop there? Of course, since they're in space, the units would probably move unhindered by normal terrain, but there couldn't be as many units as we have now (well maybe there could if we just copied everything over). But, units could take a turn to bunker down and take advantage of terrain benefits which could include more than just defense.

For a more down to earth mod, what if every unit could capture properties like infantry do? To keep infantry relevant, and more importantly interesting, they would instead capture things in 1 turn where non-infantry units take 2. Not sure if this would work better with Crap Wars or one of the old AW modes. We can't seem to find the code that changes capture rates, or if we have we haven't touched it for fear of breaking something, but this would probably be the next standalone mod, or an offshoot of Crap Wars, like, Crap Wars: Blitz Tactics.

Post subject: Re: Mod Bin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:43 am 

Chaos Wars: A spiritual successor to the old Spectrum game, Chaos: Battle of Wizards. Each player starts with a wizard, who is a unit that can be moved around on the battlefield, but can also cast spells from a randomly determined deck. These spells include damage dealing attacks, different kinds of protections, hax like teleportation etc. but most importantly summons, which can be used to spawn units. The aim is to kill the enemy wizard before he kills you. (surprise) Could also work with pokemans fluff (swap wizard for trainer)

Base Wars: Focused around the idea of players building massive fortresses much like those seen in the typical RTS. Resources are collected from the map using harvesters, and turned into buildings, walls and defensive turrets using constructors. Factory buildings pump out combat units. Tech buildings can give you an edge in combat by increasing your d2d advantages, while certain other buildings give you COP-like immediate effects when activated.

Civ Wars: Advance Wars with a tech tree and epic historical scale.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:47 pm 

If we're gonna have a space mod it needs to have one thing: MEGATANK ORBITAL DROPS

yes

shoe went on about tech trees during the serpentor tournament
so what are tech trees and why are they more cool than regular trees?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:02 am 

Isn't that the same as an airdrop, but in space?

Deck? As in, deck of cards? Would the whole thing be random, or can you build your deck and it gets shuffled?

Also, there's, like, 500 pokemons now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:56 am 

no I am of course referring to megatanks being dropped from beyond the planet's atmosphere at high speeds resulting in an explosion on impact

otherwise yeah there will probably be regular boring old transports

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:59 am 

In Chaos, the deck was random. Of course it doesn't have to be that way. In the sequel, Lords of Chaos, for example, you bought spells using character points which you had a set amount of in the beginning. In Magic the Gathering you use dolors to buy them from Wizards of the Coast.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:23 am 

Artea wrote:
Hmm, ok mebbe my memory is wrong. I still want a game that plays like shogi :D, where you can capture and use any units and promotions have different effects on units. Just random thought I had today :D

Oh yeah and how about Go Wars: You can deploy units anywhere and not just bases.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:47 am 

Ah megatank orbital drop.

My old CCO used to drop a bcopter for the COP and a mega tank for the SCOP =] The mega tank version would destroy whatever it hit, but due to that abnormality at the time the SCOP was like 8 stars.

As for my entry:

[Faction Wars]
Features factions that have unique units to each side. COs can commandeer individual factions, so switching COs in battle granted you different deployable units. COs wouldn't be bound to using specific factions, so you could mix COs with factions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:15 am 

Oh man we should totally bring that back, Jeanne was it?
she also has pretty bitchin' +atk vs units that can't counter right,
wonder if that'd factor in with range 1-2

but yes MEGATANK ORBITAL DROP

Hey I'm axing Hachi and Sensei. They're seriously untouchable so if you want we could bring back 2 CCOs, Jeanne has the advantage cause she already has code.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:41 pm 

That sounds interesting. If I get enough interest in working specifically on my CCO hopefully I'll get back to coding =]

But yeah I think it'd be nice to try including Jeanne if you really want to. Thanks!

Edit: If you're talking about units like the Anti-Tank, I imagine that Jeanne's attack power bonus would not work against those types of units.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:07 am 

guys guys I have a new AW-ish thing:
REAL PROFESSIONALLY STRATEGICAL WARS

also known as rock paper scissor wars
there are only 3 units, guess what they are
they can all capture props and stuff
also air and sea are too complicated so those are out

matchups would be around 30%, 60%, and 90%
one unit would have +20% damage
another unit would have +10% defense
and the last would have +1 move or cost the least probably

ok actually this already sounds too complicated
I quit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:28 am 

Sounds like you'd just spam rocks anyway.