It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:05 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: So.. who here knew we had a wiki? (Wiki Restoration Project)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:39 am 

I remembered when I just joined almost a year ago in my non-posting days. I often looked at the wiki to get info on the 'new stuff' in CW. When I think back, I start thinking, Why not 'renew' the wiki? One thing I notice is that many COs, including a few 'old' Black Hole COs, have no article. Even though I don't have access to specific stats, I can do my best to make the articles. I'll even resort to tests against Andy if I have to.

Another thing I notice is that a few existing articles lack pictures. This, however, should be easy to fix.

News Log:
4/13/09: Project started, CO nicknames added/changed for OS, BM, GE, YC CO's with existing articles
4/14: CO nicknames added/changed for BH, JC, AC, and DM/PG COs, Added localization info about Adder's SCOP, Added Graves's Hit/Miss info
4/27: Returned from trip and subsequent hiatus, created GE CO Smitan's article, realized popularity of restoration project
4/29: BH CO Falcone now has an article.
5/7: BH CO Napoleon's new article: What happened to this project?

100/100 otherwise
:hit: Video games, CW Wiki restoration
:miss: CW newbish, Inf. spam disbelief
:power: Log-in: Logs in to CW game and wishes for an end to Infantry Spam, dealing 3 HP Mass Damage to all Infantry and Mech units.
:super: Wiki Restore: Deals only 1 HP Mass Damage to Infantry and Mech units, but restores 1 HP Mass Healing and a firepower boost (+10%) to all non-infantry units

"There's a reason why the Blue Moon is the best Lucky Charm..."

Last edited by Best Video Gamer? on Fri May 08, 2009 11:33 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: So.. who here knew we had a wiki? (Wiki Restoration Project)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:52 am 

I did, I proof read a lot of what kosheh and people added to it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:56 am 

Yeah, that is a good idea. If you need help fixing up the wiki, I can help you with any pics or stats you are looking for... speaking of which. I should have a link to the wiki on the information page... what am I thinking?

JSR...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:18 am 

I think it might be stupid to work on it without knowing what possible changes might come in the future. After losing a few years working on cw I think it is better to work once you know whats going to be in game.

Just my $0.02 CAD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:47 am 

Well, I currently base my edits on CW Beta27, so when I noticed different nicknames (Colin's Wiki nickname used to be 'Moneybags' but recently changed to 'Richie-Rich' to match Beta27).

And although I appreciate the offer JSR, I wish to do what I can on my own. I'll still send a PM for things such as luck stats, as well as stat confirmations. I most likely will need pictures.

BTW: I notice that GE CO Joey is NOT in Beta27, but the Wiki index doesn't say "Delayed until at least CW 1.1" Should it say that? Just checking to be sure

100/100 otherwise
:power: Log-in: Logs in to CW game and wishes for an end to Infantry Spam, dealing 3 HP Mass Damage to all Infantry and Mech units.
:super: Wiki Restore: Deals only 1 HP Mass Damage to Infantry and Mech units, but restores 1 HP Mass Healing and a firepower boost (+10%) to all non-infantry units

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:00 pm 

As I seem to have been left in charge of the wiki, It's kinda hard for me to not know about it, but othar than the removal of spam whenever I can be bothered, i don't really do much else at the moment. Over the next few days, I'm going to try to help bring it up to date.
(if anyone wants to give me a hand with de-spamming, send me a PM with your wiki account name and I'll promote you to a sysop)

Best Video Gamer? wrote:
BTW: I notice that GE CO Joey is NOT in Beta27, but the Wiki index doesn't say "Delayed until at least CW 1.1" Should it say that? Just checking to be sure

It should have said that, according to the list here and the addition of Joey here, but that was with the old plans for CW, so if there ever is a CW 1.1 released, it will probably be completely different from that list.

Destin wrote:
I think it might be stupid to work on it without knowing what possible changes might come in the future. After losing a few years working on cw I think it is better to work once you know whats going to be in game.

Just my $0.02 CAD

In my opinion, the wiki should be split into two sections, one for the old version of CW, and one for anything that is being worked on now and in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:31 am 

Looking at the old topic St. Johnston linked to reveals that Artemis, a CO mentioned in a select few aritcles (Sophie comes to mind), has been cut. Should I remove any references to cut COs?

Another (slightly) off-topic question: does anyone happen to have documentation of all or any of the cut/delayed COs?

St Johnston wrote:
In my opinion, the wiki should be split into two sections, one for the old version of CW, and one for anything that is being worked on now and in the future.

That's an excellent idea!

Also: I leave for Orlando tomorrow, which means that the only way I can possibly go online is by using WiFi... on a PSP (unless I get lucky at the hotel)

100/100 otherwise

Last edited by Best Video Gamer? on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:04 am 

Well, technically, all the current CO's that aren't already in the game are delayed. There is only 1 CO that comes to mind that was officially cut from the list, and that CO was Edge. The other CCO's were going through a process of reboothing for CW 1.0, but that never really took off the ground.

As for the documentation... this page should be helpful...

Make sure you sign up for the Nostalgists group, cause it'll help you out greatly when designing the wiki (and also will allow you to see that above link.) Everything you can imagine is stored in those archives...

-JSR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:09 am 

Best Video Gamer? wrote:
(dibs on the old CW!)

Isn't the whole point of a wiki for the entire community to work together, hence eliminating the problem of people calling dibs?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:33 am 

[quote="St JohnstonIsn't the whole point of a wiki for the entire community to work together, hence eliminating the problem of people calling dibs?[/quote]

:shock: You're right! I feel like a ****ing retard now! :oops:
Ah well... that's what the edit function's for, so I edited my post. I'm so sorry for that!

JSR: That link is very appreciated. :D

100/100 otherwise

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 am 

People that are cut/ eliminated/ reboothed, leave those texts there damnit =/. That is a part of the heritage of people that spent years of work and I don't want them deleted since some new punk wants to feel part of the team by messing around on the wikis.

If you stick the above criteria anything else is fair game (no elimination of original back story or text please, edit it all you want but keep the original idea, esprit de createur in there.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:38 am 

What happened to the old wiki? The one I started working on and then bribed kiwi into finishing?

This one gets hit by spam a lot, judging from the recent changes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:46 pm 

I remember now

I remember NOT getting that bribe

doku wiki wasn't it? What's this one?
None of the wikia wikis I check out have spam problems.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:14 pm 

DiamondPheonix wrote:
What happened to the old wiki? The one I started working on and then bribed kiwi into finishing?

This one gets hit by spam a lot, judging from the recent changes.

I dunno what happened to the old one but its only really the custom wars history page and its talk page that get spammed regularly
(have you set the number of changes to 500 and scrolled down to my massive wall of blocks on the 14th? i actually had to block each one individually)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:49 am 

At least the bots are thoughtful enough to field gibberish in the comments.

If the page were to be protected, would the bots go to other pages? Why are they attracted to a few specific ones anyway?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:10 pm 

Hey I'm new here but I done sum work making Adams CO page, just need the picture...

Anyway I'm not sure if the final posts of custom characters in the nostalgia forums is accurate to what they are in game atm so I might start testing.

Hopefully i got it right though :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:30 pm 

DiamondPheonix wrote:
At least the bots are thoughtful enough to field gibberish in the comments.

If the page were to be protected, would the bots go to other pages? Why are they attracted to a few specific ones anyway?

I tried protecting the "Custom Wars History" page so only registered members could make edits, and I think they just spammed other pages or registered an account to spam with. I'm not too sure why they're attracted mainly to that article...

Quote:
Hey I'm new here but I done sum work making Adams CO page, just need the picture...

Anyway I'm not sure if the final posts of custom characters in the nostalgia forums is accurate to what they are in game atm so I might start testing.

Hopefully i got it right though :)

Good work! Thanks for the help

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:42 am 

Is there anything that could be done to make it harder for bots to post? Here too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:29 am 

DiamondPheonix wrote:
Is there anything that could be done to make it harder for bots to post? Here too.

Dunno about the forum, but if I had the ability to mess about with the wiki's settings and install extensions and such I might be able to do something about the spam situation over there. I think the only person with the ability to edit LocalSettings.php is Kosheh, but I'm not sure (it might be Xen, I'm not sure)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:51 am 

Would moderators be able to remove bot posts, or is that reserved for admins?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:55 am 

I think mods can, hold on, I'll check with the alt/test account I made.

EDIT: Yes, mods can delete spam-filled pages and block spambots.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:28 pm 

GENTLEMEN

I propose that we all be made into mods posthaste in order to combat this threat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:41 pm 

Yea the people in "charge" of the forum seem to hardly ever be online these days.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:57 pm 

kiwi wrote:
GENTLEMEN

I propose that we all be made into mods posthaste in order to combat this threat

Congratulations, you are now a wiki mod, have fun blocking spambots etc. etc.
apparently Narts is a mod already

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:48 pm 

Yeah I am I just never use the wiki.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 am 

Hey, I go online (not wiki) at least once every single day, but, if you want to help combat those bots... Then, I am going to create a group for dealing with such garbage. Everyone here who posted interest in dealing with the spambots will be automatically bumped up into that group.

St Johnston will be leader of that group, since he asked me first. All I need is the usernames in a PM, and I'll handle blocking them entirely from the site. Anyone else here who is interested in joining the group, ask him. Anyone who wants to help St Johnston lead, PM me.

Spam is hard to deal with... I figured out the hard way when I was given command of the TRPGM forums. The only thing we can do is block IP addresses and destroy the accounts.

JSR...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:02 am 

Wait, are we talking about the forums or the wiki?

It seems like the bulk of the bots on the wiki edit without registering, so would it be possible to disable that? I don't think anyone who cares enough will be bothered by having to register. The only other thing I can think of regarding the wiki is to get a new one :\

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:53 am 

Or abandon it altogether? We don't have enough people for a wiki to be practical to be honest (we never really did) and maintaining a wiki about a game no one has played for over a year seems pretty pointless anyway.

We have the forum, if some weirdo is interested in any aspect of Custom Wars they can always ask us. Or look in the source code.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:37 am 

It could be dropped completely if it's too much trouble to clean it up all the time, but do we even have someone who can do that?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:47 am 

uh you don't need anyone to drop something

unless you mean drop it from high up so it explodes on impact with the ground

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:00 am 

Oh, um... I forgot to mention that I have editing access to the front page, forums, wiki, battle server, and well everything CW related. So if you think it is necessary to change anything, you can always let me know. (If it is anything major, like destroying the wiki for example.... I'll have to go over it with Xenesis beforehand...) Though I really don't think it is necessary...

In short, I am the guy to speak to for anything related to CW... including changing stuff.

JSR...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:10 am 

My God... I can't believe how popular this project has become!!!

Anyway, I created an article for Smitan, filling in any information I could obtain. That link from JSR+CW testing=win here. BTW: I will admit that I Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V'd a different article and made changes based on that supertemplate.

Looking at the topic (and even Smitan's dossier) reveals the identity of a CO called Belle. However, I could not get any information about her besides her tag with Smitan. I couldn't even find out if she had been officially cut. She also has no picture in the Custom_Wars_Beta27\images\misc\sheets directory. Nevertheless, I included the tag info (but not the quotes, it was 'tentative' and I didn't like the language. Yeah, I know...) in the article.

I also say, however, that a few YC and BH COs who are NOT Custom COs who don't have articles yet would be tough to accurately create, as they may have been nerfed, etc. As a result, I went to the archives to dig this board up.

100/100 otherwise

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:10 pm 

Yeah, don't take those tags literally... Many people made Tags for CO's that they would like to get into the game, but weren't official. Since the tags were a requirement, even the CO's that didn't make it into the booth were given a tag with those who were accepted.

For simplicity, you can just ignore those tags... It'll prevent you from doing extra research. :)

JSR...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:33 pm 

Found a page for a CO called Sanjuro while searching for spam and stuff, his abilities sure look interesting

lol sorta like an easter egg CO, put his link in the yellow comet section where its supposed to be.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:07 pm 

Sanjuro, I miss him <3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:43 pm 

Oh I found 2 articles regarding Belle...

Belle~ Remix
(Non-Original) Belle

I think the original CO Belle by kiwi got erased form the archives, cause I can't find it even though I have access to everything. (Either that, or kiwi went by more than 1 username, which is also very likely...) But, I think speaking to the original creator of Belle, kiwi, should be very enlightening when doing the research...

JSR...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:15 pm 

ENLIGHTENMENT

argh making me archive trawl my mind
now I remember
psh no way am I taking all the credit for that trainwreck

so are we doing the WIKI ORBITAL DROP or not

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:18 pm 

That's not even the first post, but you can dig around the forum if you want to find it.

If we're keeping the wiki, can we at least block anonymous edits? It seems most of the bots don't register.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:06 am 

I can protect individual pages from unregistered edits but it would be down to JSR, with his access to everything (i.e. the localsettings.php file) to make the necessary changes to the whole wiki.

here's what JSR would need to do, (hint hint if you're reading this)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:28 am 

Updating the Unit articles would actually be minor, and could cause confusion when playing with Crap Wars CHANGE.

So I gave Napoleon an article.

Also, what has happened to this project? I have double-posted, with 1 week between posts! (This is not to say that the project is abandoned.)

I'd also like to say that the .java files can be useful in making articles; Napoleon's topic was slightly outdated, so I fished out Napoleon.java for some quotes!

Who knows, maybe someday I can...

LEARN JAVA!!!

100/100 otherwise