It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:47 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Making Crap Wars official?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:05 am 

I just had a radical thought. How about we rename Crap Wars into Custom Wars Beta 28, put it on the repository and write up a front page news article about it. Then we go around telling people we have a new release and Custom Wars is alive again!

Crap Wars is pretty much the closest thing we have to a direct continuation of Custom Wars and it's not like anyone else than kiwi is really doing anything with the old project's legacy. CW2 and AHC are both a long way off from being anything resembling completion and the latter doesn't even really have anything to do with Custom Wars. Who knows, maybe a move like this could enliven this place a bit at this point!

In the worst case scenario we'll have a bunch of oldbies coming over to complain about the silly changes kiwi made which alone would create amusement.

Is this awesome? (Y/n)

Post subject: Re: Making Crap Wars official?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:57 am 

Eh... I don't see anything wrong with this idea, though I'd probably rename it as it's own beta (Beta 29)...

yay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:01 am 

What? When did 28 come out?

Uh anyway yeah beta 29 was what I meant.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:10 am 

WHARS BETA (28)?

otherwise YAY activity!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:27 am 

lol... my mistake. I remember where I got Beta28 from...

When I was speaking to Uru and CV before, they were telling me how Beta28 was going to be the DoR/DC translation of the game. However, instead of doing that they decided to make CWDoR its own division.

So, in other words... oops. Beta 27 was the last real iteration before CW 1.0 was supposed to come out. :? sorry about that...

Beta 28 it is... (Of course that means you'll probably have to deal with all those old CO's again, but Narts... I'll let you give the final call.)

-JSR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:36 am 

Eh, my call? I believe kiwi is still in charge of Crap Wars. Since all the three other members of the community agree, the final call is his to make.

We are waiting...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:32 pm 

lol

sure, should probably fix up the DoR CO graphics first though

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:01 pm 

APPROVED

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:19 pm 

This sounds like a bad idea, but I guess that's why it could work.

The version ID is also something that needs to be fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:59 am 

Send me the source code and I'll fix the version ID and I might do something about the DoR CO's as well. Do you want anything else? I've already added DoR style unit veterancy to AHC, it would be easy for me to put something like it in here as well if you guys have no objections.

May I propose a new naming scheme for the versions: Instead of the Alpha/beta/etc. nonsense we would use a number based on the version release date in this format: YYYYMMDD. SO, if a version of Custom Wars was to be released today it would be called Custom Wars r20090429. It would have two advantages: For one thing, you could easily tell when exactly a certain release came out. And, perhaps more importantly, this format would make no statements as to the "completion status" of the project, which I think makes more sense for an open source project that doesn't have strict deadlines and tends to just sort of evolve forever instead of having a set final release date.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:19 am 

Actually, that sounds like a really good idea. I think you can get away with YYMMDD though... 8 numbers is beginning to look like a supermarket barcode. :P IMHO, We should be able to get a stable version before the 100 year deadline.

CustomWars r09.04.29

Looks really promising actually, I will adopt that style into my own revisions...

JSR...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:30 am 

Oh yeah sometimes I almost forget not everyone is blessed with immortality.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:01 am 

*whines like an oldbie*

sup guys

since you guys are finally doing something right for once (returning to CW's roots...kinda) I decided to come back. Partly because Narts pointed it out to me B)

That and you're throwing both DOR and DS COs in the same game and that's really cool

So yeah, I'm back - I suppose I'll help you guys here and there, peppering up CW with all sorts of bells, whistles, aesthetics and technological hoo-hah.

Now, I'm a graphics guy and not a balance 'tard but do you suppose there's any way we could re-add the older COs that were dropped (Talyx, Edge, Alexis, Nana, etc.) with better stats at some later time? <:3

alright maybe not Edge but you know what I mean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:19 am 

Kosheh wrote:
Now, I'm a graphics guy and not a balance 'tard but do you suppose there's any way we could re-add the older COs that were dropped (Talyx, Edge, Alexis, Nana, etc.) with better stats at some later time? <:3

I guess it's kiwi who decides in the end, but I don't see why not. If we're retarded enough to throw DoR CO's in we just might be retarded enough to do that as well!

Welcome back Kosheh I've missed you~~ *girly whimper*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:15 am 

Narts wrote:
Welcome back Kosheh I've missed you~~ *girly whimper*

Thank you...Nartsu-chan~~~~ <:3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 am 

I just DL'd Crap Wars 2.5 not too long ago. I, of course, noticed a load of CHANGE. That could take some time to get used to, of course. One suggestion is perhaps putting a list of CHANGE in the actual ZIP archive.

I also note that most of these changes are about the MegaTanks (cheap price, loading onto plains, MEGATANK ORBITAL AIRDROP, mech movement).

About making Crap Wars official, I personally feel that ALL of our Custom Wars thingies should be official, though I'm fine with making Crap Wars the main official CW.

I also found a glitch which I first found using Crap Wars 2.5. The glitch lets you load ANY unit onto ANY transport! Also, more recent testing also says that it works on Old CW Beta27, and you can actually load an infinite amount of units, but only the most recently loaded unit (I believe most recent 2 for sea transports) can unload: Anyone else is deleted. It's on my PhotoBucket because I don't want to stretch the tables. I also didn't find any documentation of this glitch.

@ Kosheh: I actually am for the revival of cut COs (yes, even Edge, even though I'll probably still hate him. Maybe we can set up a CO Banlist for server games to counter this). This way, we can see how they would play.

Also even though I'm still a little new here, I welcome you back.

And no, I'm not I Blame Video Games, unfortunately. :(

Wow that's a lot of slightly-off-topic content. If you want me to relocate/remove any content, I have an EDIT button ready. I may also have a :oops: ready.

100/100 otherwise
:hit: Video games, CW Wiki restoration
:miss: CW newbish, Inf. spam disbelief
:power: Log-in: Logs in to CW game and wishes for an end to Infantry Spam, dealing 3 HP Mass Damage to all Infantry and Mech units.
:super: Wiki Restore: Deals only 1 HP Mass Damage to Infantry and Mech units, but restores 1 HP Mass Healing and a firepower boost (+10%) to all non-infantry units

"There's a reason why the Blue Moon is the best Lucky Charm..."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:51 am 

There's a manual, you know v_v

kiwi would probably consider it a "feature" to airdrop piperunners, and as you can't unload units if the transport isn't also on terrain that the unit could be on, it's difficult to do unless the map is already pipe-heavy. As I understand it, the code that facilitates lander loading was pasted onto transport copters. Using pipestations to load and unload pipe units with landers works, and if pipe units could move onto terrain that landers could as well in the normal release then this would probably be true there too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:46 pm 

Quote:
Also even though I'm still a little new here, I welcome you back.
why thank you, it's nice to meet you o/
Best Video Gamer? wrote:
@ Kosheh: I actually am for the revival of cut COs (yes, even Edge, even though I'll probably still hate him. Maybe we can set up a CO Banlist for server games to counter this). This way, we can see how they would play.

I don't think you'd really need to *ban* Edge, IIRC his problem was that he was extremely weak. I remember Frosty getting headaches thinking about it <_<

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:57 pm 

I missed you kosheh, you been so busy lately that I have avoided talking to your afk msn messenger <3. If you returned to the project, then I think a few others will come back. Maybe, maybe I will too :O.

Edit: Also, edge, <3, at least from the graphics view, kosheh and I had to kill eachother to get that hand right.

Double edit: One of the artist I knew drew teh pronz of customwars.

Triple edit: Haven't called you doucheh :O

Damn I am forgetting to type everything (last minute gitters before an exam I guess), Hey Nartsu-san, Halo-san wants to know if you have drawn anything lately!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:08 pm 

Kosheh wrote:
IIRC his problem was that he was extremely weak. I remember Frosty getting headaches thinking about it <_<

remove weakness and/or add stuff

like so:

boss

big boss

:O what is this

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:38 pm 

kiwi wrote:
Kosheh wrote:
IIRC his problem was that he was extremely weak. I remember Frosty getting headaches thinking about it <_<

remove weakness and/or add stuff

like so:

boss

big boss

:O what is this

wtf is this shit >:O

how did we not do this before??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:59 pm 

Teching up isn't really viable with the old unit prices. Edge is geared towards fighting tech ups. No tech ups means no place for Edge. I'd like to know why he got in the WWN Hall of Fame when this should've been glaringly apparent compared to... Tabitha not being that great in DoR.

The fixes we'll do might make him tolerable in the old system; it'll be weird if it turns out he's awesome.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:39 am 

Quote:
About making Crap Wars official, I personally feel that ALL of our Custom Wars thingies should be official, though I'm fine with making Crap Wars the main official CW.

I'm not talking about abandoning the other projects or taking anything away from them in favour of Crap Wars. The idea is that this place would look a whole lot less "dead" if there were people actually working on, and playing the game the site is actually about, which is Custom Wars. Currently when people come here they see a dead game and a bunch of people working on a number of offshoot projects. Now if we take one of the offshoot projects and call it "Custom Wars" the problem is conveniently solved.

Quote:
Hey Nartsu-san, Halo-san wants to know if you have drawn anything lately!

Some half assed AW fan art I made a while back:
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5035/adder.jpg
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/1156/carter.jpg
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6049/lin.jpg

Something drawn on the AWN paintchat:
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3218/nanict6.png

A Necromunda character:
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/2368 ... i07ta7.png

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am 

Narts wrote:
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/1156/carter.jpg

this

is

art

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:58 am 

Interesting take on a house escher captain, always been a jeans fan, house orlock for the win.

I will let halo know, thanks nartsu-san

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:01 pm 

Oh hey, Custom Wars is moving.

I saw a couple youtube vids with CW matches and was all "whoa nostalgia trip". After that, I wandered over here, found the wiki page, and wondered why we couldn't ever get this off the ground. I mean, the concept was sound, a lot of the ideas were pretty cool, but we just couldn't get people excited about this.

Oh well, I guess that chapter's been discussed a million times over.

I suppose maybe I should check in every now and then, see what happens.

JAY WILL RETURN

Also, if you need people to play some matches just for the fuck of it, I'm your man.

CO Jay - Currently stuck on ideas. Comments and suggestions welcome.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:04 pm 

Wassup SJCrew. Long time no see, though I guess I've seen you plenty on other forums.

Yeah the death of Custom Wars has indeed been, ironically, discussed to death many times over. Every historian has their own version of what happened and interestingly no two versions are the same. Perhaps Custom Wars is only dead because people think it's dead. After all, wallowing in despair and blaming someone else is easier than getting your arse up and actually doing something. Speaking of which, why not stick around to play and discuss the game? Even if you can't or don't want to contribute in art, design or code, it's useful to have people playing and discussing the game. Makes the place look alive and gives motivation to developers, and bugs and other quirks are found faster. Besides it's fun. Join us. You know you want to, why else did you come back?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:00 am 

Quote:
why not stick around to play and discuss the game?

I plan to, as long as

A) you guys are consistent with matches. I've had quite a few problems with unfinished games in my past experiences with AWBW and CW.

and

B) my brother doesn't find/delete the CW folder because I'm using his computer for right now.

If either one fails, I have to jet.

Quote:
You know you want to, why else did you come back?

Because I'm too poor to afford any new games and decided to just splurge on as much AW as possible to make up for the drought.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:01 pm 

Break into someone's house, beat them up, steal their PS3 and play Valkyria Chronicles on it. It's worth it.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:57 am 

SJCrew wrote:
B) my brother doesn't find/delete the CW folder because I'm using his computer for right now.

there's this cool thing called a flash drive it's like $12 at staples and it holds 1GB of data

you should get one, they're cool

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:21 pm 

Good idea, except I already have one, it's 8 gigs and refuses to work on his computer. Cool stuff.

Quote:
Break into someone's house, beat them up, steal their PS3 and play Valkyria Chronicles on it. It's worth it.

Sorry, I don't play JRPGs. :v:

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:15 pm 

I actually would say it's more of a tactics game than an RPG. Closer to Advance Wars than Fire Emblem, despite having some FE like qualities. Like leveling up, which is done for entire classes of units collectively rather than for individual characters - meaning that losing a character is fairly irrelevant unless you run out of a certain class entirely which will make things rather difficult to say the least... even still, character death is much rarer occurrence than in FE because you usually have a few turns of time to rescue fallen characters before they die "for real". In any case the game is clearly more about tactics and strategy than about grinding and while it has a heavy storyline with more KAWAII DESU MOTHERFUCKING NE ^____^ than is healthy there is a polished diamond of a game in there too.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:48 am 

I am intrigued
tell me about its replayability

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:48 am 

I have yet to beat it so dunno really, but I'd guess it's pretty much like FE - once you've beaten it there's nothing more to see. There's no multiplayer and no way to make your own maps or anything. You could replay the missions to get the best ranks I suppose. They are apparently releasing extra missions as downloadable content, though, but it's going to cost monies.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:40 pm 

DiamondPheonix wrote:
Teching up isn't really viable with the old unit prices. Edge is geared towards fighting tech ups. No tech ups means no place for Edge. I'd like to know why he got in the WWN Hall of Fame when this should've been glaringly apparent compared to... Tabitha not being that great in DoR.

It was a long, long time ago before it was actually possible to playtest this stuff and even the AWBWers weren't that great at the game.

Mooglegunner wrote:
Seriously, if there's an American in College who isn't on when you are, they're not working hard enough, or Liberal Arts Majors.