It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:12 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Making Ad Hoc Commander official?
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:24 am 

So yes, in a few words, Ad Hoc Commander is the cleanest and most cohesively balanced Custom Wars mod here.

In not so many words, the unit structure is significantly closer to the official games compared to Crap Wars and for that reason would be much easier for newcomers to pick up. Not only that, but there are no balance issues among the units (i.e. no stealths), at least none that haven't been made known through the old games, and even those have been toned down by the changes. My only problem is that Smitan is enormously useful with a 40 HP power.

Post subject: Re: Making Ad Hoc Commander official?
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:31 am 

He's getting revenge for all those times he was called useless.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:30 pm 

I don't recall Smitan being useless so much as no one bothered trying him out.

kiwi wrote:
lol yes, crap happens when you don't have a bureaucracy and hoops to jump through

It's amusing how easy it is to make changes and yet everyone bothered going through the the ridiculously strict and ultimately arbitrary voting system. Ever since CW has been playable its source has been available: why are mods being made now? I don't think it's too little or too late but it'll be significantly harder to garner support when most of the people we'd like to have on our side have already dismissed the project.

I really don't think Crap Wars is what we'd want to present to the audience; it's quite a mess, and while we do have the chance to clean it up unlike the real games or even AWBW, it'll take a while. On the other hand, kiwi has pretty much marketed it from the start as CW gone wrong.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:13 pm 

question:

can we keep cool custom COs and some IS people

because then i might be able to cope with such a drastic change either way
(im a storyfaggot and would hate to see all the awesome characters in the game go to waste)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:44 pm 

The biggest objection I have against this that I don't want to start calling my game "Custom Wars". Lol.

Now, if someone was kind enough to give me writing access to the front page I might start writing news articles about Ad Hoc Commander, but I don't want to pick up the pretence that my project has anything at all to do with the old Custom Wars.

I guess some, and any, front page activity would pretty much achieve what I wanted to accomplish with my proposal of making Crap Wars official. (making the site look more alive and exciting)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:16 pm 

Uh... who reads the front page anyway. Most people just care about the forums. :?

I am all for the site looking alive again, but if I do this it is inevitable that AHC will be compared with the old CW.

Taking on CW's reigns is not going to be easy... and no matter what we do, people are going to expect this mod to take on what the old CW did. We can't just go around blowing off everyone who has this idea... otherwise, it'd be much better off that it stayed a mod. At least, now... no one is going to tell you what to do. And sometimes, when creating a modded game like this one... freedom is very important.

But look, I'll be frank. People will be people. You are going to have to be prepared for them to rip this game to the floor if you start doing dramatic changes. Unless you are planning to take on and add all the old CW1 had to offer (all the old CO's, all the old features, all the problems, and the ability to program in and add varied Custom content), then, please, leave AHC as it stands now... a really great modification of CW.

-JSR

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:26 pm 

Hey people can tell me what to do all they want. That doesn't mean I need to acknowledge them in any way.

I would say the old people are pretty much irrelevant. If they care so much why did they leave in the first place? We are Custom Wars now. Whatever we do we do it in our own terms. We need new blood and not just old farts bickering among themselves. New people tend to find the front page first, that's why the first impression it makes is important.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:43 am 

Alright, Narts...

The front page (both forum and website) is updated. Both Crap Wars and Ad-Hoc Commander are now official mods. When they get big enough... I will take them out of the RWC and eventually devote a board toward the updating and upkeep of modifications.

JSR...

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:51 am 

THERE IS NO HYPHEN IN "AD HOC COMMANDER"

HEADS WILL ROLL FOR THIS

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:59 am 

lol... oops... "Ad Hoc Commander"

I apologize for that mistake. So does the front page and the distribution page. ;)

JSR...

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:05 am 

APOLOGY ACCEPTED.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:56 am 

Narts wrote:
The biggest objection I have against this that I don't want to start calling my game "Custom Wars". Lol.

so don't call it custom wars

AD HOC COMMANDER
AN EPIC GAME BASED ON ADVANCE WARS
NOT RELATED TO CUSTOM WARS
AT ALL
EXCEPT FOR THE ENGINE