It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:19 am

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Ladder options
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:41 am 

I know we only have about 5 active players, but I wanted to bring it up now so we had something in mind later, when there might be more people to bicker over how it should be done.

Game ladders can be pretty varied. I think chess and go's ELO rating is a ladder system but it's fairly complex. We could have some kind of weird formula, points-based system, or just have winner swap place with the loser.

More to the point, our map selection is decidedly subpar, and the presence of different game settings through the possibility of custom mods complicates things. I suppose, therefore, that regardless as to the ladder system itself, rank matches should be played doubled-up, with player sides switched. If a player wins both games then it counts as a win for that player, but if one game is won while the other is lost then the match is a draw. The game version and map will be the same with the same match settings, such as funds, unit bans, weather, clear, mist, or fog, and so on, but I don't know how COs will apply.

On the one hand I'd prefer if they were allowed to be different between the two games if only so players don't get stuck with a CO they don't like for whatever reason. At the same time, that could be an argument for keeping COs the same, so that you could consider picking a CO that your opponent doesn't know how to use well. However, assuming one player chooses a good CO for the map while the other picks a weak one, the odds of a draw will probably be higher especially if the players are close in skill level and use similar strategies.

I don't really remember what the old CW ladder was like other than it had single battle matches. Looking at their descriptions, the AWN ladder appears to be derived from the ELO system while AWBW has its own, and WWN copied it, but they all appear to be single battle.

I know doubling battles increases the time it takes and AW games can be pretty long already, but the tradeoff is that the time doesn't need to go into scanning maps and the ladder results are a bit more fair. Of course, it's in your best interest to pick relatively fair maps for ladder matches anyway unless you want a draw.

There are other things to consider, like what would happen if a player doesn't respond to a challenge.

Post subject: Re: Ladder options
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:38 am 

holy crap tl;dr

GENTLEMEN, DISCUSS:
FUTURE LADDER? ( yes / no )
IF ( yes ), WHAT SYSTEM? ( fill in )
DOUBLE BATTLES? ( yes / no )
IF ( yes ), SAME COs BY SIDE? ( yes / no )

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:34 am 

I tend to think that anything should go as long as both players agree to it. Hey, if the settings were unfair, it was the loser's fault for agreeing to them.

BTW while double games are cool there is another pretty much bombproof method of balancing FTA issues: 2 vs 2 maps played with one person controlling two armies, which incidentally is a method to which Custom Wars is suited excellently due to the way the server games work.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:55 am 

1/4 vs 2/3? I suppose that would work, but we have even less 4 player maps. Although, in theory, they should be easy to make since you only need to make a quarter of it and repeat for the other sides. Guess I'll get on that.