It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:13 am

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: -[A.H.C.]- Bugs
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:49 pm 

My friend and I were playing it for a little bit since I was telling him about mina. Since play testing is one of the ways you can get some feedback here are the few bugs we found so far.

Co Select:
When you chose mina, sometimes it gives you hachi stats.

In game:
Bombers- can't move and attack infantry on shoals, maybe it was just on the map we were playing.
Artillery-lost control of a couple artillery units after 10 turns.

Those are all the bugs we found so far. I will keep updating these things as I play more.

Post subject: Re: -[A.H.C.]- Bugs
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:38 am 

Thanks for making this topic, I was thinking of doing something like this myself. If anyone finds anything, they are encouraged to post here.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:41 am 

05/05/09
We were playing on "zombies bitches" on hot seat mode.
I was alexis, and he was graves.
-Bugs-
Game went well (lol spec ops :D and convoys), until on turn 8 one of my artillery units became useless after parking it into the woods behind a line of infantry. (Man you really got to baby sit artillery now), anyway after putting it on the tree on the same line as the factory in the middle (lower one, tree all the way to the right) I couldnt use it for the rest of the game. Couldn't move it or shoot it.

Then later on (turn 19?) for one turn the opponent could use his and my units, which almost cost me the game since he moved my stuff stupidly, and then it skipped my turn and he got to fight again. So it went, he could control his and my units, then next day it went back to him controlling his units. After this it went back to normal.

-Comments-
The game yesterday was more of a little glance since we had plans and had to ditch the game for other things, while todays game was a comprhensive game. Before AHC, you kinda had to meatshield your artillery, and if the meatshield got attacked you would just fall back your artillery. My opponent does this so all I do is attack with a few infantry so that his artillery fall back into my spec ops for the ohko lols. In non fog of war its harder to set this up since the artillery just kites. On the other hand this works well too since they are moving and not firing.

Only issue with the game is that the spec ops is a bloody pipe runner, and I keep thinking of it as a pipe runner until I click on it and realise it doesn't move along pipes =P

-Suggestions-
None of these are required for a fun game (since last game was fun without any of these) but a few things I reccomend.
When I play on my bro's mega screen the game is fine, but when I play on my laptop the AHC client is really small, a size function to make the window larger would be much appreciated. Other than that change the co select, so that when I chose mina it says mina instead of hachi etc. Fill out the rest of co descriptions, especially the co info in game, since I couldn't remember some of the co's stats and some of them don't have it. For me I don't care I like finding out randomly what a cop/scop does, but for other I assume they are less forgiving (they are still assholes >: ( ).

None of those are really neccessary at this stage but for the final product I do recomend.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, I like this more than old cw, since there are less co's to chose from which makes the choosing easier. There are less units and my friend found the game pretty fast to pick up. I am looking forward to maps with the platforms on to try.
Another thing I forgot to mention, I know you don't want to be associated with customwars, but with some of the iconic cw co's in there I can't help but think of it as cw, (even though as I said it is better etc.). So maybe replace the co's completly. I saw in your thread you said you would maybe rehaul all the graphics and shiz, if that is the case I think it will be the prettiest java game =).

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:32 am 

Quote:
When I play on my bro's mega screen the game is fine, but when I play on my laptop the AHC client is really small, a size function to make the window larger would be much appreciated. Other than that change the co select, so that when I chose mina it says mina instead of hachi etc. Fill out the rest of co descriptions, especially the co info in game, since I couldn't remember some of the co's stats and some of them don't have it. For me I don't care I like finding out randomly what a cop/scop does, but for other I assume they are less forgiving (they are still assholes >: ( ).

CW has had screen resizing since times immemorial. Go to the options menu and press scale. Don't press it too many times though because it may crash the game. CW is awesome like that. The CO intel screen is likely to be revamped completely, as is the very CO system itself.

Quote:
Another thing I forgot to mention, I know you don't want to be associated with customwars, but with some of the iconic cw co's in there I can't help but think of it as cw, (even though as I said it is better etc.). So maybe replace the co's completly. I saw in your thread you said you would maybe rehaul all the graphics and shiz, if that is the case I think it will be the prettiest java game =).

It is very likely that I'm not only going to rehaul the CO's but the very system itself. I originally planned that CO's would use their charge points to purchase special unique CO units instead of unleashing storms of AW style black magic upon their enemies. I abandoned my plans to include it in the current version because I thought it would be more trouble than it's worth to implement.

However, I have made some encouraging progress in implementing co-specific units in a way that minimises the work involved. Basically they just manifest as instances of generic unit types but with special attributes, such as a battleship which is otherwise treated as a regular battleship by the code but with treads instead of naval movement. This is made possible by the far-sighted genius of the CW engine where every unit individually contains all the data of its class and is written to the save file allowing me to tweak an individual unit's every trait on the fly even though none of this would be required from an engine that merely plays Advance Wars. (If I had made this engine from scratch a unit would probably just be a string of 4 bytes or something)

This means I won't need to add the co units into the damage chart and the only thing the player needs to memorise is how the special unit is different from its regular counterparts. BTW there will be less memorisation required all across the board thanks to the simple addition of an IN-GAME DAMAGE CHART which culls its information directly from the code. Goodbye updating damage charts by hand.

Quote:
Then later on (turn 19?) for one turn the opponent could use his and my units, which almost cost me the game since he moved my stuff stupidly, and then it skipped my turn and he got to fight again. So it went, he could control his and my units, then next day it went back to him controlling his units. After this it went back to normal.

This is kind of worrying. It almost sounds like the dreaded day 20 bug. I thought that was squashed way back in 2007? Although I think the day 20 bug was pretty much invariably unrecoverable. You say it went back to normal, did this last until the end of the game?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:58 am 

uh Destin is your java up to date?

DP and I haven't had any issues with AHC

yet

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:49 am 

It went back to normal after that one turn. We made it past day 20, but he shortly yielded after I pushed him back from the bases.

Kiwi: it is now =/, maybe that was the problem?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:16 am 

oy Narts

is fog supposed to be mist but darker?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:38 am 

Fog isn't supported. Don't use it.

Well I would have liked to preserve basic fog functionality but I guess my meddling with the sub visibility code messed it up. I'm not sure if I will bother fixing it. Fog isn't officially part of the AHC design.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:54 am 
Main Coder

When I start the game my cpu hangs to 100, until i'm in the game where it goes to a steady 5%(with peaks of 50 when ending the turn & random times)

I'm on winxp, 1.6 GHZ latest java(1.6)
ok so now it is steady at 70% in game.

Last edited by stef569 on Sat May 23, 2009 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:02 am 
Main Coder

Can't attact with the mouse(I can attack using Z) this seems to be already solved on svn
http://code.google.com/p/customwars/iss ... id=3&can=1

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:05 pm 

Oh yeah I'm so used to using the Z key I don't even notice it anymore. Will fix for the next release.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:39 pm 
Main Coder

Right clicking on a unit shows the attack zone but makes the unit face north, any action afterwards on the unit resets the direction.