It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:49 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 724 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:10 am 

How the hell do you beat the last mission? It's been pretty easy going up until this point, and... it's not even fair what you have to deal with.

[spoiler]Mortars. wtf mate? Getting your shit bombed every day or so is not fun, and it's hard to do anything. ANYTHING. Separating your forces is just chaos because of the fact that he has two free units every day, along with his nice amount of PDs, but keeping them somewhat close to form a defense line is also suicide, just because every other turn most of your defense is now 5 hp less.

So it's like an AW2 factory mission. Except the factories always pump out good units. And there's five seams. And those five seams can pewpew your units (Though that's actually easy to deal with). And the fjaosierjasmortar that rapes you on both sides. And the super amazing CO zone you gotta put up with, too.

Is it possible to establish a foothold on the right side? I can usually hold it out sort of okay with antitanks and antiair, but then bombers come and kill them and he takes the right side. I just sorta gave up at this point. How do you exactly clog the factories? Checking the tactics info, it said you actually could do it, but uh, they spawn on spaces you can't enter. I suppose you're supposed to surround, say, a missile, with units so it just never moves?[/spoiler]

Ugh. This mission just bothers the hell out of me.

Made by kosheh. Cause I was too lazy to make my own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:20 am 

[spoiler] I just captured enough properties to make a bomber a day. Make sure to take the airport closest to the 3 lasers in the middle. To take out the far left laser, send your tanks up in the beginning. Rush bombers to destroy the three lasers, but make sure to distract Caulder's fighters with damaged bombers.

I finished it in 7 days.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:27 am 

Minus the Quiscat wrote:
[spoiler]lololo[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Well, hell. I never really thought about just flat out rushing them. I assumed the fighters would rape your full HP bombers and wouldn't let you near the lasers. I suppose my own anti air would work here, though.

I suppose I could try doing something like this. I was thinking this to be more of a drawn-out 50 day battle of attrition and such. Sounds exactly like something you'd do in AW2, though, except there's five seams to blow up.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can do.[/spoiler]

Also, has the new scoring system been found out? Or is it still the same way to calculate technique and power? It seems changed, at least for technique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:37 am 

Whatever the new method is, I'm glad they let you make up for losses in one category by doing great in another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:31 am 

WILL PLAY ANYONE ONLINE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:52 am 

go rape everyone at gamefaqs or something >_>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:02 am 

jesus

WHAT IS EVERYONES FETISH WITH TEMP AIRPORTS/PORTS

also quick question

can i build seaplanes straight out of a carrier?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:20 am 

day 1: build
day 2: launch and you can move/attack right out of the carrier

so depending on what your question actually was, yes/no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:21 am 

i'm on a map without airports

can i build a seaplane using only a carrier?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:26 am 

Yes, and it's hilarious

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:14 pm 

more like, it's freaking awesome. Carriers are beast, and I've developed an unhealthy fascination with them.

Temp airports are more useful than temp ports.

Also, in relation to the final mission

[spoiler]For the final mission I actually took out the right laser with a quick bomber rush, then the left one I just moved Will's War Tank up, and over. After spamming a few anti-tanks and anti-air I could basically mop up the rest of his army[/spoiler]

But goddamn, wasn't that one mission where
[spoiler]You fight on the Great Owl[/spoiler]
freaking fun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:17 pm 

Thank god the spoiler tags work for me >_>

Ubergeneral wrote:
my genious too awesome for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:45 pm 

That mission was completely awesome and a great change of pace. They even went all out with the dialog.
"Sweet corn casserole, they've got ROCKETS!!!"

I'm torn between what new unit is the best- Bikes, Seaplanes, or [s]Psycho-BCraft[/s]Anti-tanks.

Also is there any point in using Will over Isabella? If I remember right at least Gage has a slightly higher boost for indirects in his CO range/power, but Will is just plain outdone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:49 pm 

[spoiler]The last mission was just weird. I thought with Quis's strat, I woulda hit like, 150 speed and 0 power, but apparently they expected you to complete suicide as I hit just over 90 in 8 or 9 days. Even with everyone dying left and right (I had 3 units left in the end), I still had managed 89 technique (Though only 40 power so, so my first B. ): ).

The Great Owl fight was... okay I guess. I didn't piss my pants or anything like you seem to. lul

Overall, the campaign was decent, but I was really expecting a hard campaign at least. Ah well. [/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:53 pm 

[spoiler]I loved that Great Owl mission. The whole part before Will rescues Isabella and the campaign goes into its dramatic finish was like comic relief.
"Wait, this isn't a parachute! It's a sleeping bag! Aw, crap."[/spoiler]

"Golly great geishas, Kanbei! The enemy's advancing like mold on bread!" ~Kosheh
Indeed. The fact I actually know someone who wrote Sailor Moon Cannibal Slash proves this point. ~Xenesis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:45 pm 

[spoiler]"IS NO ONE ELSE WORRIED ABOUT THIS?"

But yeah, I just liked how they handled it, though it wasn't too difficult (rockets? lulz)[/spoiler]

Fugue, I thought the exact same thing when I saw Anti-tanks. Good against tanks, but ripped apart by infantry. My vote for most awesome goes to Carriers, though. Seaplanes are pretty cool, but there are few things quite as awesome as launching two seaplanes in one turn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:27 am 

So when can we start talking about this without spoilers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:15 am 

No, it's out in Europe tomorrow (although I got my copy today =P) so it wouldn't be fair.

Anyhow, there are a lot of differences in the European version where names are concerned...

I don't know know exactly what's called what in the American version, but here're the changes to normal AW:

Mech = Bazooka
Mdtank = Heavy Tank
Artillery = Mech Gun =S
Fighter = Intercepter...
Duster = Fighter
Gun Boat = Missile Boat

Will = Ed
Isabella = Catliena or something

And the Beast has a name, but I can't remember it.
I don't think Tasha was called Tasha either...

The Doctor has a different name as well, but I forget what it is. This is gonna be confusing with Europeans talking to Americans XD

Last edited by Xaif on Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:16 am 

So... AW:DoR made the navy awesome, eh?

How's the airforce(Other than seaplanes)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:22 am 

Once a Bomber has leveled up to II or V, it's a pretty effective way to OHKO lots of things. Getting it there is somewhat challenging, though.

Also, Xaif, are you serious? They pulled a Capcom and swapped Lin and Isabella's names? And who's Cat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:33 am 

I got a bit mixed up, I thought Lin was called Isabella in the American version. Isabella's the aqua haired girl that lost her memory, right? If so she's called Catliena (that may be spelt wrong). It seems the European version has names based off the Japanese version, looking at Kosh's post a few pages back.

And the fighter renaming just baffles me. It's been known as the fighter in all 3 European AWs, and now, they name it the Intercepter and name something else the fighter >_>

Also, does anyone know exactly how much strength a units gains after each level? I've skimmed the manual but it I can't find anywhere it gives exact percentage increases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:51 am 

Another question(Since I don't own DoR yet, but plan to soon):

With the introduction of bikes and the changes to costs of Mechs(Not calling them Bazookas, fat chance) and Infantry, are Infantry and Mechs even worth building other than to meatshield with or capping in mountains/across rivers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:04 am 

According to AWN's research:
I: +5/+0
II: +10/+0
V: +20/+20
Any unit in a CO zone (including the CO unit, and regardless of what type the CO specializes in): +10/+10
Attack stars in the CO's intel page: +10/+0
Defense stars in the CO's intel page: +0/+7

All boosts are cumulative.
During a COP, the CO zone is extended to the entire map (meaning every unit gets the classic default +10/+10).

The only number I still want to know is the exact bonus Waylon gets during his COP. Whatever it is, it's freakin' huge- I remember getting an estimate of about 20% or so for a Missile attack against a Fighter during it, and a single-digit estimate for trying to attack his CO Fighter with one of my own.

Infantry still have the best movement range for soldier units on stretches of forest or wasteland, but that's not all that common. Their only real advantage anymore is the fact that they're just plain 1k cheaper and can still fight Mechs and Bikes effectively, especially if they've got a Bike or another Inf for backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:04 am 

From my initial impressions, yes. Like you mention, they have superior movement types, and mechs have huge firepower. The bikes only have infantry firepower against things as far as I can tell. The terrain is the largest factor to consider though, with high amounts of roads and plains, for the extra 1000G then bikes might be a better option, but infantry in other cases.

And of course, infantry are ever useful for meatshielding, albeit less than usual due to their price increase.

Ah, thanks Fugue, seems like Ace units get a very hefty boost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:43 am 

Fugue wrote:
According to AWN's research:
I: +5/+0
II: +10/+0
V: +20/+20
Any unit in a CO zone (including the CO unit, and regardless of what type the CO specializes in): +10/+10
Attack stars in the CO's intel page: +10/+0
Defense stars in the CO's intel page: +0/+7

All boosts are cumulative.
During a COP, the CO zone is extended to the entire map (meaning every unit gets the classic default +10/+10).

Here'a a link to a more detailed topic about it:
http://forums.warsworldnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=9774

In actuality, it's +10 for each star both ways, but the damage formula changed so that 200% defense is no longer invulnerability, throwing some people off. Additionally, Com Towers are +5/+5.

"Golly great geishas, Kanbei! The enemy's advancing like mold on bread!" ~Kosheh
Indeed. The fact I actually know someone who wrote Sailor Moon Cannibal Slash proves this point. ~Xenesis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:28 am 

That topic doesn't talk about it at all... I think you linked the wrong one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:07 am 

MASS SEAPLANES YES 8)

But really though I don't think the Bike's advantage really outweighs its disadvantages, Anti-Tanks are slower than a turtle with cement shoes, and Dusters have dinky damage against vehicles and do nothing to naval units.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:39 am 

CoconutTank wrote:
MASS SEAPLANES YES 8)

But really though I don't think the Bike's advantage really outweighs its disadvantages, Anti-Tanks are slower than a turtle with cement shoes, and Dusters have dinky damage against vehicles and do nothing to naval units.

Dusters are cheap anti-copter units though.

Rifton wrote:
Now now, Minus, This is CW. Everything is an argument here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:44 am 

Kay uh...

i converted this and put it on my Supercard Lite but the screens are the wrong way round

anyone got any idea how to fix this???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:48 am 

They're cheap anti-copter anti-bomber units but only relative to the Fighter. Their damage against vehicles suck, they can't hit naval units, B Copters are already good enough for fighting Infantry with, and they can't dance with Fighters. Their redeeming features though are that they're cheaper than other plane units, fast and plane types, so they could be used for blocking ground units like the way Zeppelins work in CW. But unlike Zeppelins they don't get a fancy indirect omni cannon.

Also I'm pretty sure someone else brought this up but the Corvette is apparently sort of in DoR O_o The navy got massively overhauled though so maybe the environment for it is more appropriate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:14 am 

I love the tank balance in this game

no more super rape tanks unless you face tabitha >_>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:25 am 

Darxio wrote:
...changes to costs of Mechs(Not calling them Bazookas, fat chance) and Infantry...

lol, maybe its a glitch or something, but they're still called "Mech" in my game.

[ and yeah, 16000 g War Tanks ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:31 am 

/me waits until February 1 to get AWDoR

Fucking Amazon and not getting Early Delivery.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ubergeneral wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:13 am 

War Tanks are more like MD Tanks, despite the fact that they look like Megatanks, so yeah. You can take them down not difficultly, and blah my grammar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:51 am 

Darxio wrote:
That topic doesn't talk about it at all... I think you linked the wrong one.

Oops. What the hell happened there? Must not have copied correctly...

http://forums.warsworldnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=9879

If that one's not it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:30 pm 

HochDeutsch wrote:
Darxio wrote:
...changes to costs of Mechs(Not calling them Bazookas, fat chance) and Infantry...

lol, maybe its a glitch or something, but they're still called "Mech" in my game.

What language is it in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:10 am 

Minus the Quiscat wrote:
So when can we start talking about this without spoilers?

I'd personally say sometime in March.

It'll give [s]the people who don't have the game yet[/s] me time to play through the campaign without being spoiled.

Ubergeneral wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:16 am 

Xaif wrote:
HochDeutsch wrote:
Darxio wrote:

What language is it in?

Er... English :(

[ although I'd play it in Hochdeutsch if I could v_v ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:45 am 

So apparently CO powers in this game charge by kills of HP in the CO's area of influence(I still do not have the game, only making generalizations).

So making uberlarge wall of infantry meatshield can allow for your enemy to build up a power faster, eh? Seems fair.

Also, if the War Tank is like an MD tank, and a tank is a Tank, where do those "Heavy" tanks fall in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:56 am 

HochDeutsch wrote:
Xaif wrote:
HochDeutsch wrote:
Darxio wrote:

What language is it in?

Er... English :(

[ although I'd play it in Hochdeutsch if I could v_v ]

Which version do you have?

Advance Days of Ruin - Loads US English

Advance Wars Dark Conflict - Loads UK English

Yes, some guy went and made a alternative English script so the words are spelt the British way, CO's name are different, few units names are changed Campaign script modified (same story line but some sentences reworded).

Why there is a UK script I have no idea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 724 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next