It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:56 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: So...what did I miss?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:37 pm 

Heya all, long time no see, uh?

I was passing by and I've noticed that the community is actually active and lots of stuff were being done with programming! needless to say, I was pretty happy and surprised to know that things are being done (to be honest, considering the way the community were back when I stopped posting, I was afraid that the board had exploded for good). Very good news indeed.

So, uh, what did I miss? What are the plans for now?

Post subject: Re: So...what did I miss?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:47 pm 

Hello frosty, I see that you used to be very active in the community so it's great to have you back!
Since you have been away I'll summarize the activity in the past view weeks:
We have:
  • assembed the old developers
  • collected the old source code and openly offered it via a repository in google code.
  • decided on a direction for the project to move (generic with a base offering single player plugin)

We are now:
  • fixing remaining bugs in the old version
  • Speaking about the architecture of the new customwars source
  • sprucing up old pages
  • collecting existing bugs
  • eating christmas pies

I'll get in contact with you to give you all the concerned links but could you openly say what your involvement was in the past? As I am new in town I am not aware of how you contributed to teh customwars code base were you mainly an avid player? Did you contribute a great amount of source code? Regardless, it's great to have you back :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:37 am 

Actually, I am not 100% back per se. I will probably stick around for a couple months (aka vacation) and either leave or stay depending on how things are going. My college is killing me <_<;.

Either way, it's good to be back, even if it is only for now.

As for my involvement in the past, I was more like an avid player. I tested most releases for bugs, was in charge of the GE campaign (that was pretty close of being completed, but was never released due to the bottom-low priority given to campaigns back then) and took care (sorta) of the balance aspects of the game and the competitive side of the forums (tourneys and all). Unfortunately I don't know a thing about programming, so I'm afraid I won't be much help at this initial stage, but I will try my best to help you out.

oh and nice to meet ya!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:33 pm 

Welcome back, Frosty!

If you're interested, you could help us by taking care of the gameplay / balance aspects in the default game a.k.a Ad Hoc Wars.

Ad Hoc Wars is intended to be a simple demo game based on original content that showcases the engine and proves that it can support an AW style game. It would be included as the default game in the basic installation of CW2 and could be used as a reference and a starting point by modders making plugin games of their own.

However we want AHW to also be a fun, playable game in its own right, and we need a designer to lay down the gameplay specifics, such as unit attributes, damage tables and so on. If you want to help with this, it would be appreciated!

Currently we only have a basic outline of the design: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=8818

The design document so far has been maintained by myself, and I've mainly focused on enumerating the needed features so I can make graphics for them. As you can see, the plan is to basically have an AW1 style arrangement of units and no COs. Balancing this shouldn't be a mammoth task, mostly just filling in the blanks. The main challenge will probably be making CO-less gameplay work without leading to too many stalemates. Artea has shown interest in writing a campaign so I'm probably delegating the story aspects to him, meaning the one thing left for you would be balance.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:49 pm 

I see...

Does it include the engine? things such as the damage formula, luck formula, the way ammo and fuel works, gameplay mechanics such as recovering on cities, first strike and things like that? or will we use the AW engine for the most part and just tune up the specifics (read: numbers) such as the specific units (price, movement, roles, as you said, and stuff), the defense terrains gives and damage charts? 'cause if we create everything from the scratch it WILL be quite a task...but if the problem here is just to adjust the specific units and terrains and damage dealt to be balanced and fit a CO-less metagame, it is much more doable and I would be more than happy to give you all a hand.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:56 pm 

Yes that does make sense that the base game would be 'COless'. I take it you were doing most of the tweaking in the old customwars(which seem to be pretty accurate)?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:04 am 

Yes it would be pretty much the basic functionality of AW1, just with some fine tuning, minus the CO's.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:11 am 

@chom_chom

Yeah I was in charge of the tweaking and balancing parts of the old CW (actually Xen was in charge at the begining, but I ended up doing most of the work when he got overloaded with other stuff), which meant that I changed damage charts, units, entire unit roles on the more critical cases, gameplay aspects such as FOW and the COs in order to make the game more balanced. I can't really say if I were successful in the end, since the project died before I could get a reliable feedback (and before I finished everything).

@Narts: ohhh...
That makes it a hell lot easier.

If the problem is just to adjust things, I believe I can give you a hand.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:44 am 

Good to have you on board! Now the point to start from would probably be collecting the information on all the gameplay specifics in AW1, including the damage chart and unit attributes and put them into one topic. Then you could start making adjustments from there, and once you have something you're initially happy with, we can punch the numbers into CW to create a prototype for testing purposes. Then we'll test, make more adjustments and continue with this cycle until we get something we can call balanced. The programmers are aiming for the end of January as the release date for the next version of CW, but AHW doesn't need to be perfected by then. We can continue balancing as long as we need to, though I'd like to have a "feature complete" version ready for the January release. Mostly the pressure will be on the graphics side, which reminds me, I should get working lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:54 am 

Seems like a very nice plan. Surely much better than the lack of plans from the previous generations :D.

Anyway, I will collect the data, post them and see if I can post some ideas of what to do all tommorow and move from there. Also, I will try my best to finish everything still in January, 'cause I can't guarantee the free time to do so in February.

BTW, do I post them on the Dev Discussion Forum or on the RWD? My guess would be the former, but it is only some people can post there, right?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:30 am 

Well at the moment you can post where ever you like since no one else is around apart from like 6 of us!
The deal is that only the development team can post in here. The reason for this is because although we want the development teams discussions to be out in the open, they are not part of a public debate. If you wish to ask anyone and not just the dev team, then post in the open forum.