It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Hiya
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:29 pm 

Hello. I'm new around here, but I have lurked around the CCO forums a few times in the past. I really want to help out here, be it beta testing or suggesting tweaks for COs or damage charts. I have little to no knowledge of the project's progress, what's being done now, and what's in the planning phases, so if someone could fill me in I'd be thankful.

Post subject: Re: Hiya
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:01 pm 

Welcome!

Basically what we're doing right now is just fixing the engine so that we can enjoy playing a bugless game. Howeever, our plan for the future is to modularise the engine so that it will be possible for anyone to customise any part of the game simply by editing configuration files without having to know how to program. So essentially CW2 will be something like Spring, a generalised game engine, except for casual console style TBS games instead of RTS.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:56 pm 

Hello! The best way you could currently help is by playing the game. To play you will need to 'check out' the source code into a java development environment. Its a little more complicated than your average download affair but not too much that it is impossible. If you'd like to give it a go you can follow this guide: http://code.google.com/p/customwars/wiki/DeveloperSetup and we'd be greatful of any bugs youcould raise with us.Otherwise I'd be glad to get in contact with you when we have the next version available as an easy download.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:55 am 

I downloaded all of what was required, but I can't make heads or tails of the code itself. I'm also having trouble with the "3. Eclipse: Importing the code into your workspace" in that I couldn't find the "Package explorer". I don't think I'll be able to help wth the code either way due to my lack of computer literacy, but I wanted to point that out just in the event of someone else having the same problem with getting setup. I'm sorry for wasting your time.

If you need me to beta the program or anything that doesn't require literacy, I'll pop in at these forums from time to time, and my Email is "UserShadow7989@yahoo.com" if you want to contact me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:50 pm 

Wait, isn't the build working... According to me you do have an easy download if you just download the .jar from the build. If you go to Dev Forums and Distribution Revolution... you can find it there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:21 pm 

I know this is probably a dumb question, but what's a .jar? How do I download it from the build?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:05 pm 
Main Coder

UserShadow7989 wrote:
I know this is probably a dumb question, but what's a .jar? How do I download it from the build?

You can only learn by asking :)
A jar is a zip file with a .jar extension, You can find it here http://code.google.com/p/customwars/
If you are running windows you can double click the jar and it will launch, if the game doesn't launch but instead you see the files then winzip or winrar is opening the archive instead of java, report back if this was the case.

Full docs from sun