It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:24 am

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Men alive.... dear god there are MEN ALIVE!?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:27 pm 

aka THM/Tsu

People still post here :O

It's really odd coming back here... and seeing others have pretty much done the same thing. How have you all been doing?

I still missed a lot of the old gang. Like kosheh, that lovable son of a bitch. I still remember what I've done for CW. Heck, I still have the files on my hard drive :OOOO

I've been doing pretty well. I ditched college to go into a Digital Animation program at a nearby polytechnic institute. Going to go do some modelling/animation in the Games Industry (and/or level dev). Really exited, it's what I love to do :D

I spend most of my past time making more custom content (old habits lol), but this time for Team Fortress 2. I make maps.
and I'm getting paid for it
Also really excited :D

what's up?

Last edited by Icarus on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Men alive.... dear god there are MEN ALIVE!?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:54 pm 

Hey look isn't it that guy who made some sprites or something.

I've stuck around, mostly because of my pet project of developing a mod of my own based on the CW engine though I dropped that a few months ago due to lack of interest. Mostly I've been posting on other AW boards such as WWN and AWN that aren't completely dead yet where some of the refugees from CW have gathered. Those sites just don't compare to what CW used to be though.

There is a small gang of programmers hiding on these boards trying to rewrite the CW engine from scratch for God knows what reason. So far we've seen little substantial progress but they keep insisting something is happening so maybe something is.

So you're interested in the games industry. That is cool. For the last two years I've been working as a 2D artist at a company that makes casual games for social media and mobile devices. I could say I'm doing pretty well too! Maybe someday I'll even work on real games who knows. You may touch me now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:59 pm 

Herrow narts

It's going to be cool, I have some friends in the industry who are helping me get a job when I get out of school.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:15 pm 

So you play TF2 huh

What's your steam account?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:25 am 

http://steamcommunity.com/id/icaruswong/

Speaking of TF2, It's amazing how many familiar faces I've met there. Freelance_Fox, Xenesis, Illidan, and Ghos7ayama.

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=11352
My current level dev project

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:43 am 

Oh Icurus,

I wanted to thank you for giving me the site for all the sprites. Thanks to you, we have made substantial progress on cw2 and cwt. Welcome back.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:23 am 

Funny you came back, I was just thinking about you yesterday too. Kosheh/matt came to me on msn wanting me to make a new cw-tan sprite. I was like crap, I was never good at that stuff compared to you :P. Anyway, I am glad life seems to be working out for you, mine has been a complex emotional roller coaster, but unlike you I haven't kicked my akward teen mentality yet ^_~.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:33 am 

so what is the fate of the project now? I came back because I wanted to archive our CCOs. Looking back at it I think this project was the epitomy of custom advance wars creation. In the process we burned ourselves out.

That and I think some of the users really put off new people *cough Sven*
That combination of DILIGENT INDIVIDUAL posters and use being disorganized is what ended our project.

That said I think we really hit it with polishing up some custom cos and other ideas so if anything our work should be archived somewhere everyone can see it.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I'm still a LUEser (at heart) and proud of it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:07 am 

Hello Ubergeneral,

Welcome back! Though there isn't much to be welcomed back to in terms of people. I have done quite a bit or work to make sure that Custom Wars doesn't become lost completely. Just like many, I want to see it come back with all the Custom CO ideas intact. I am maintaining the forums to make sure it doesn't become a spam bucket, and I also made all the archives accessible for anyone who has signed up for CW through signing up for the "Open" Nostalgists group.

There are reasons for this.

The first reason is... Custom Wars isn't really dead. There are a few programmers that actually got something working and it contains all these fore- mentioned CO's called Commander Wars. Also, people are still trying to work the mods within AWBW, though progress is kinda slow. Xenesis has been doing a War Room Hack that is very impressive. Custom Wars is still there, but it is portrayed through different media. You can find links to all of these in the Distribution Revolution page.

The second reason is... I want to complete the sequel to this game. I gathered a small group of programmers and we are designing a whole new engine for Custom Wars. Unlike its predecessor, we want it to follow the original AW and AWDoR very closely and still allow room for Custom items. So, our goal is to have Online play, AI, Battle Animations, and Map Creation with all the Game Rules from AWDoR, AWDS, and AW2 intact. As for custom items, our goal is to allow you guys to easily add Units, Terrain, CO's, and Game Rules without the aid of programmers (akin to writing a text file and the game adds the material).

It is a lot of work, but I have found an extremely dedicated team of programmers that'll help me through this to the end. I hope that this program will be able to accomplish most of what people are expecting from a game like this. However, only time will tell.

You can keep track of the progress by visiting this page.
http://code.google.com/p/cwtactics/

If you have any further concerns... I'll be glad to help and answer your questions. Drop me a PM or post up and I'll see what I can do.

JSR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:52 am 

I've finished my second year of college studying computer science. I think I could be of help.

(Luke 2:14, John 14:27)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:05 am 

Hey Simon,

Yeah, if you are interested, you can find out a little more about it by visiting...

CW Tactics Repository

I'll send you a PM with more detailed information, so check your inbox :).

JSR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:40 pm 

I came across Halo Capella for the first time in forever, to which he dumped all the CO art he ever drew on me, and then I found he had some of my sprites. Thought I would check here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:17 am 

I haven't heard from Halo Capella in a long time. Is the art online somewhere? I'd like to take a look at it if you don't mind.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:46 pm 

and speaking of Halo Capella, ...Paru has returned! Dx

hello yall, long time and a very long time no see. How are yall?
I swear, last time i checked here, the site was down. how'd you do that?!

soo... what can i say about Paru? well, i'm just finishing up the third semester of my fine arts program. grindy but fun times.
so far I've been hanging out mostly in Mangafox.com and facebook. current places im active in.

and so far im bent on games such as Civ5 and LoL.

I'm still making more art. (made three chapters of manga/comics last summer *nudge nudge* plannin to make a fourth in the winter holidays) if you want to see them, go to http://halocapella.deviantart.com/

and i heard someone said they want to see the past CW art i made: http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/Ha ... tom%20Wars hope it works.

so yea, enough of Paru boasting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:23 am 

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you Halo Capella!!! I am so happy that you have returned. I would definitely like to keep in contact with you. Is all the information you have on here current?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:14 am 

just let me know if something happens. i'll be watching with my four lenses. arite?